9 replies to this topic

#1 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Denver

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hey all,

I picked up an IM 6511 and tightened the SCT threaded diagonal too tight :foreheadslap:. When I unscrewed it, the lockring and threaded piece from the telescope came with it. I got those apart, and put the lockring back, but now my focus is stiff.

Methinks I screwed something up. Since Teton is no more, any suggestions? I hear these are easy to take apart- I don't mind doing that but like have read all of the definitive works on the subject before I try.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

#2 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

My recollection is that the focuser on these has a more complicated construction using a threaded shaft around the rear baffle. I suspect you may be impeding the movement by threading the back in too far. I would recommend removing the whole rear cell and taking a look. It will likely be obvious what the problem is once you have it apart.

-Matt

#3 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hey all,

I picked up an IM 6511 and tightened the SCT threaded diagonal too tight :foreheadslap:. When I unscrewed it, the lockring and threaded piece from the telescope came with it. I got those apart, and put the lockring back, but now my focus is stiff.

Methinks I screwed something up. Since Teton is no more, any suggestions? I hear these are easy to take apart- I don't mind doing that but like have read all of the definitive works on the subject before I try.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

I had a similar situation with a used Celestron 8SE I bought last year. The previous owner had cross-threaded a 1-1/4" visual back on the scope, and when I removed the visual back, the threaded piece came with it, and there was no way I could get them apart. On the Celestron, the part is called a "baffle lock nut." Of course, I don't know if the scope-side thread on the Intes is identical (might be metric), but I got a replacement part for my scope from Don Rothman at Astro Parts Outlet. My experience is that he has zero Russian Mak parts (I myself have an MK-66), but he does have the Celestron part, and you might try it.

#4 WilRobinson

WilRobinson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near the cloud machine

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Mark from Teton still post's on this site, you could PM him. I thinh he still goes by maknewtnut or something like that.

#5 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Your willingness to tackle to relatively straight forward mechanical issue leads me to believe you will indeed get it handled.

If you have any questions, or even end up deciding to seek repair, cooling modification, or complete refurbishing services...just drop me a line.

Mark

#6 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Thanks to all- I'm going to get in there and take a look.

Mark- I may be giving you a PM if I get over my head.

Thanks

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

My IM715 has a gear nearly as big as and behind the primary. The focuser knob is connected to a worm gear that works off of the one behind the primary. It makes for very stiff action even after it was adjusted and lubed. I pretty much need to use a Crayford on the mak at high powers. David

#8 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Tried removing the threaded portion to see what I could do from the outside, and the mirror started turning so I stopped. Sent a PM to Mark, and will wait to hear back before I go any further.

#9 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ed,

Waiting on word from Mark is surely the best bet. While waiting, you might look over these photos of the innards of an IntesMicro 703. I don't know if it's the same mechanism, but I suspect it's similar.

BTW, I have a Teton M6511. I've never had to open it up, but I'm watching this thread with interest!

link to photos

#10 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hey Mark (Maknewtnut)

I don't think my PMs are getting through. could you PM me your contact information so I can speak to you about the scope?

thanks

Ed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics