Jupiter - Edge 8 HD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've been observing Jupiter for the last few nights in my new Edge and found it hard to make out detail? I could see 3 - 4 bands and what I thought was the GRS (noting it was more of a whiteish blob in 3rd from bottom band).

Is this is a bad time to see Jupiter noting I'm observing in the UK?

:question:

#2 paul mc c

paul mc c

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Belfast Ireland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

What time were you observing at,U.K time mate.

#3 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

seeing can highly affect the amount of detail visible at times. sometimes you have to be patient to see moments of clarity.

some other factors:experience helps. Elevation of target? Have you collimated your scope? What were your magnifications? I think it helps to learn the terminology for the different zones. Sometimes you don't notice a detail because you didn't know to look. Check out this site about observing Jupiter http://www.britastro...piter/guide.htm and http://jupiter.cstoneind.com/

have fun!

#4 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hi, I was viewing between 9 and 11. I used my zoom 8mm - 24mm at around 10-12mm most of the time. My scope appears collimated using a 9mm.

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Its starting to get low at 9 and its truly low by 11. Did you give your scope at least an hour to cool down outside. If so it sound like u had the same garbage seeing I had last night - at 9 - tho in the USA with different weather etc.

Your scope under good conditions is capable of some sharp details here but as you kno, in pastel subtle intensities. Still you ought to see the gamut of surface phenomena, festoons, ovals, knots notches, barges , red spot into., rifts, gaps, - its all within reach. But, u need the seeing to allow it to happen. A little advice: blow a fan on the scope for an hour before observing - helps it stabilize quicker.

You have a great scope.

Pete

#6 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thanks, yes the scope had been cooling for about two hours so it was either poor seeing or poor collimation. I'll invest in a higher mag eyepiece to really dial in the collimation and see if that helps.

#7 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

@seiko4169

I observe Jupiter from North Manchester using a "standard" C8 XLT.

I say "standard" because it has two vent holes in the back and an active cooling fan - which I keep running all the time - it makes a massive difference.

I also use a TV 8-24 zoom (which is excellent) and find that collimating at the 8mm setting gives good results.

Jupiter is still showing a lot of detail - the wake behind the GRS can still be seen, last night I was watching a white oval in the SEB and saw a blue festoon coming off the NEB.

A few little tricks that may help...

1. Cool the scope to within an inch of it's life.
2. Collimate the scope to within half an inch of it's life.
3. Try viewing at dusk when the air is steadier and contrast is better.
4. The 12mm setting on your zoom will give the best results.

HTH

#8 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thanks David, I think last night should have shown more. I thought the scope had cooled as I'd given it 2 hours. The collimation seemed ok using a 9mm but it was a struggle seeing any detail.

I'll check collimation at a higher mag to see if that helps.

#9 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have found that cooled and fully cooled for planetary are two different things - you may want to check our the tempest cooling system for your scope.

http://www.deepspace...ems_8_4243.html

I have no affiliation with this dealer but I know what a difference active cooling makes.

#10 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Really this sounds like soft seeing. Nothing on Jupiter with any telescope will ever have the color saturation like the images in the imaging forum nor the exaggerated contrasts. Jupiter is a study in pastel contrasts, often with water mark intensities though in limited areas some vivid hues are to be found. Two tears ago for example the SEB had this terrific dusky brick red suede feel about it. It was a soft grey terra cotta that I loved. This past year saw a more common neutral earthy red tone with swaths of grey through it. My best view of the SEB following the GRS was Thanksgiving week. After that he jetstream parked itself over me (tethered to my condo I swear) and its been soft since. Though on balance its also been quite cloudy at night here this past winter. Saturns swinging around just in time for the damned jetstream to shift back up north and I look forward to 7/10 seeing or better once again.

I do want to say- even in the dead of winter there are those nice nights - there's just more of them generally in summer. For all that, my message being: hang in there !!

Pete

#11 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

@seiko4169 - last night I started viewing Jupiter with the C8 and fan running at 7:30pm BST - great results - good sharp detail - Jupiter was reasonably high and it was not yet dark so contrast was good.

By 8:30pm the view had deteriorated - Jupiter was lower and the sky was dark, views were mushy and no real detail could be seen.

Do try observing in twilight - it helps

#12 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, as soon as this awful weather (snow) stops I'll keep observing.

:)

#13 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Although I couldn't carry on observing with the Edge as I'm waiting on a mount replacement I tried observing Jupiter at dusk and yes it was visibly clearer even in my 5i. I also think the 5i's collimation was slightly out so it should be even better after a few tweaks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics