• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thought this might be a good place to post.

I noticed some thing interesting tonight. It happened while wearing my reading glasses in the dark.
I'd had just adjusted my binocular eyepieces, and forgot I was wearing glasses. When I brought the binoculars up to my eyes, the binos bumped the glasses up higher up on my nose. A moment later, I suddenly noticed I could instantly make out patterns of the Constellations. Only the brightest stars in the sky seemed to remain, as my reading glasses had defocused all of them.
If you wear glasses for reading, and, or are learning the night sky, try this for fun, it might even be helpful ? ? ?

#2 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Interesting- do you mean it was an afterimage that you saw, kinda like after looking at a bright light and closing your eyes..but you did this with stars?

#3 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

That makes me think of constellation photographs where some sort of diffusing filter is put over the lens producing halos that are only noticeable around the brightest stars, making them stand out, thus making the constellation pattern more noticeable. Same principal with both.

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

LOL, got disgusted with paying $600 for glasses, H*ll, that's the price of an Ethos! Went to Wally World and ended up with distance and reading for less than the old optician. High quality frames, Zeiss 1.5 refraction lenses, etc. Didn't know I was getting a new astro toy. Have to try your trick :bow:

#5 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Sounds like a dark sky problem ;) I don't know your location though.

#6 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Interesting- do you mean it was an afterimage that you saw, kinda like after looking at a bright light and closing your eyes..but you did this with stars?

No.

Think of it this way: by looking at the sky with reading glasses, all of those point sources were defocused as if they were converted to nebulae with an angular dimension of perhaps a couple of arc minutes.

Because the surface brightness of each of the stars was now much lower than it was when visible as a point, the dim stars disappeared into the background leaving only the brighter stars still visible.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics