• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Decatur, Alabama

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hello everyone, I'm Randle Cagle from Alabama here. Been observing for almost a year and just wanted to introduce myself. Haven't had much luck with clear skies this year but hoping for some this weekend.

#2 Ebyl

Ebyl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to the asylum! ;)

#3 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hello Randle you are more than welcome here. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. :grouphug: :band: :band: :band: :whee: :dob:

#4 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hahaha, I should fit right in!
lol

#5 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hello Randle you are more than welcome here. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. :grouphug: :band: :band: :band: :whee: :dob:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

#6 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hahaha, I should fit right in!
lol

:whee: :choochoo: :locked: :troll: :banjodance: :usa: :band: :rules: :yay: :smashpc: :jawdrop: :graduate: :blah: :jedi: :goodjob: :pulpdnc: :sumo: :fishing:

(welcome :D )

#7 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi Randle and welcome to Cloudy Nights. Quote from your profile "My scope is nothing fancy, just a manual 10" dobsonian." All of my telescopes have been manual.

#8 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

To me that's part of the fun, finding everything on your own. Actually finding it myself is just as rewarding as observing it. Plus I think its a better way to learn the night sky, which was also very fun and rewarding.

#9 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Welcome brother! Hope you enjoy yourself here. :wavey:

To me that's part of the fun, finding everything on your own. Actually finding it myself is just as rewarding as observing it. Plus I think its a better way to learn the night sky, which was also very fun and rewarding.

I agree. My first scope purchase was a manual refractor. To me, learning the sky and finding my way around is half the fun. There's nothing like searching for a new object and finally seeing it, much more rewarding than a computer beep imo.

#10 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

welcome aboard Randle. feel free to share experiences and wisdom. Even ask questions!

#11 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Welcome Randle!

Bill

#12 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Welcome to CN and wish you clear skies this week end.

#13 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome y'all. Just too bad I'm stuck at work during the week. 3rd shift wreaks havoc on my night time hobby lol. Any one else have this problem?

#14 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

I have been through those moments when the nights were clear and I am busy at work. That's a good feeling though and work / family should come first.

#15 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Welcome Randle, third shift is tough but those few clear nights are really worth waiting for. It looks like you have some nice gear there :cool:

#16 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have been through those moments when the nights were clear and I am busy at work. That's a good feeling though and work / family should come first.

Indeed

#17 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Welcome Randle, third shift is tough but those few clear nights are really worth waiting for. It looks like you have some nice gear there :cool:

Thanks, yeah the ES 100's are just simply outstanding. they work really well in my Dob. The Zhumell barlow is better than I expected and the Zhumell filters are average at best.

#18 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Welcome!! Might try a ES 100° someday. I like stick too!

#19 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to cloudynights! :jump:

#20 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome y'all. Just too bad I'm stuck at work during the week. 3rd shift wreaks havoc on my night time hobby lol. Any one else have this problem?

Welcome,indeed.
Second shift means missing all the evening events like PANSTARRS and Mercury and Venus. Although I sometimes take a small scope for a quick look during a work break.And compact binoculars are always at hand.This only helps if you have access to outside.

Last night a brief walk in the well-lit parking light was still able to take a quick look at Orion, and Cetus.The parking lot lights are full-cutoff,anyway, don't shine up.

The blank grayish sky became darker with a few stars upon just blocking the direct light with my hand and compact binos revealed dozens of stars.

#21 Silver Bear

Silver Bear

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brazos Valley in Texas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

And welcome in return, Randle!

#22 RCagle

RCagle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Welcome,indeed.
Second shift means missing all the evening events like PANSTARRS and Mercury and Venus. Although I sometimes take a small scope for a
quick look during a work break.And compact binoculars are always at hand.This only helps if you have access to outside.
Last night a brief walk in the well-lit parking light was still able to take a quick look at Orion, and Cetus.The parking lot lights are full-cutoff,anyway, don't shine up.

The blank grayish sky became darker with a few stars upon just blocking the direct light with my hand and compact binos revealed dozens of stars.

Maybe I should invest in some binoculars for quick views. I've never really put much thought into acquiring a set. They just don't seem like you would be able to really see anything. They just seem to small but I do notice that a lot of astronomers with a few years under their belt tend to have a set. I've never looked through some specifically for astronomy. I should probably ask this in a different section but what are the views like through a set that your standard (yet popular)astronomy binoculars?

#23 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Welcome to CN's Randle! Nice to have you here! :cool:

#24 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi Randle, welcome to CN! :D

Regarding binoculars, go for it. ;) I used 7x35s to learn the sky, and saw Neptune and Uranus through them - they were great for asteroid tracking and satellite watching, too. My 11x70s are much better though - a wide 4.5° fov, and a nice bright view due to the 6.36 exit pupil. The exit pupil is the aperture in mm, divided by the magnification - the larger the exit pupil, the brighter the view. From my rural sky, I can easily see Messiers and quite a few NGCs. More times than I can remember, the binos have kept me from 'going round the bend' when life got in the way and observing time was nearly non-existent. Heck, if you took a pair to work I bet you'd be able to pop outside during break and lunch for a peek at the sky. Even with light pollution, you'll be able to see a few stars - Luna, too. :)

#25 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Randle, there's a fair number of folks here from Alabama, myself included. I know what you mean about the cloudy skies this year, clear skies are hard to come by in Mobile all year long. I'm hoping for clear skies after next weekend, so I can drive to a darker site for galaxy hunting. Clear skies to you.

Taras

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics