• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Macquarie, Australia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

The forecasters said rain was impendng, but there was nothing but blue sky and thankfully I found myself outside with the 16" last night with pencils in hand. It was warm through the day but the evening had that crisp autumn feel to it, and the sky was not perfect but not bad for a backyard view. I spent a couple of hours on the central part of the Eta Carinae Nebula - the Keyhole - with a 13mm Ethos and DGM Optics NPB filter. This showpiece sight goes on for miles and my view was swimming with nebulosity and dust lanes. I didn't get nearly all the stars in - I ran out of puff - and instead concentrated on the structure of nebulosity and dust. It's amazing what you can see through a keyhole!

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sean,

Beautiful sketch that is packed with great detail. Looks great on my monitor, I'd love to see that in an eyepiece from a dark site.

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

So beautiful and you've capture the nebulosity so well. Is this pastel on black paper using the Mellish method?

#4 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Hi Jay,
Yes you're right, pastel, black paper and Mellish method. I've been adjusting my technique since I failed to get the Tarantula Nebula's mottling spot-on and have been customising brushes to try and get things right. I get the whisps of nebulosity here from using a fine narrow brush that I've shortened up a bit. It's a bit messy in application but once you blow the pastel dust away you (hopefully) have what you're after.

#5 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

Sean,

Beautiful sketch that is packed with great detail. Looks great on my monitor, I'd love to see that in an eyepiece from a dark site.

Frank :)

Thanks Frank. Yes this thing is good to start with and explodes with a good filter - from a dark site you'll lose your night vision. If you're over this side of the planet I'd be glad to show you - you may need sunglasses though! :grin:

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Sean,
That is just beautiful. I would love to see that at the eyepiece as Frank said.

Amazing.

Ken

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Sean,

Very good sketch of Eta Carinae :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#8 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Beautiful!

#9 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Ken, Tom and Jef. Ken, if you ever get down to the southern hemisphere this is a great one to see - and it is so responsive to a filter, it's like turning on a light in a dim room. The Eta Carinae Nebula has to rank second in my favourites of the type only to the Tarantula, with M42-43 third. I'm glad I got a snatch of clear sky - it's rained heavily ever since and the long-term outlook for the east coast of Australia is for more cloudy nights. I guess I'll be customising more brushes and trialling a few new ideas and techniques at the study desk instead ...

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

It's just so beautiful the more I look the more I see. Of the 16 inch scope helps!

I really like the Red Scope. My daughter insisted we get red when we bought our little refractor. Better not show her this or I'll be painting my 8 inch dob from black to red.

Clear Skies.

Ken

#11 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Really beautiful. Stunning sktech.

Andre.

#12 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Nicely done Aperture!

You realise you are going to have to come back to Eta and finish putting in those stars you choked on.

I'm also glad to read that you're still experimenting and looking for new tools. That's what I love about sketching - it's a tactile and ever learning learning experience. Last week it was getting a bigger pencil case, :lol: My old one couldn't deal with all the stuff I've been adding to it.

#13 Aperturefever

Aperturefever

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

You realise you are going to have to come back to Eta and finish putting in those stars you choked on.

:grin: All those pesky stars getting in the way of a good view ... honestly ... you'd think they have something to do with each other!
But you're right, for accuracy's sake I'm going to have to either get my head around this view in an Ethos or maybe my next sketch zoom in with a 6mm Delos around the same part of the sky - maybe some Bok globules I'm thinking would be a different sketching challenge. But certainly the field of view with 100 degrees is a tricky thing.
The Mellish technique is awesome but I have a few small adjustments to make - I think everyone does this to suit their individual nuances, and I find the best way is to figure it out in the study, not at the eyepiece - otherwise I get frustrated!

#14 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

The study is the best place - you can see what you are doing & quickly gauge how the effects are coming along .

The following such "study" exercise may help you out a little:

http://www.iceinspac...34&postcount=52

May help you develop some ideas for the Boks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics