Photo

Other images, animations W/Jupos from that night!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hi all - posting these images to wind up the morning of 26th March when we had great seeing out in the Mallee. (rhymes with "valley" :) )

As these are from almost 1.5 hours earlier with a quite different disk view...and captured at a smaller scale I thought they were worth posting as a seperate thread to the others, even though the 6000mm f/l best still trumped any of these..! :grin:

First-posted is the best rgb at around 5200mm f/l.....

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

.....next a WinJupos compilation of the rgb's from the above and the next rgb set...

Note: I have not bothered to process the rings seperately for any of these as we are busy getting ready to leave for the Mallee for a few days tomorrow..! :)

Attached Files

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

...an rgb animation of 2 rgb sets captured just over half an hour apart.

Attached Files

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

The first-posted image at the start of this new thread (and also in the other images if you study them...) show a bright spot very high in the Northern latitudes of Saturn adjacent to one of the vertices of the NPZ's hexagon - I have not measured the position as yet but strongly suspect it is the same bright spot I imaged on 5th March: a couple of the pro organisations I've sent all this 25th March (UT date) data to have told me they suspect it is also, and intend measuring the drift of said spot.....

Attached Files

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

.....here is the red channel from the first image in this thread.

Attached Files

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

.....and the red from the second rgb animation set about half an hour later. :)

Attached Files

#7 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

Awesome ....

I can only hope Mount Compass will have a seeing like this one day...

Guys at the NH start packing... Australia is the place :)

Mick

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Finally (well, probably - we're leaving tomorrow for a few days so it's almost a promise!!! :question: :lol:) the red channel animation from the last 2 images above..... :)

Attached Files

#9 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

These are the best Saturns I have seen to date Daryll. Is there anyway you can you tube the red channel avi so that I can see what good seeing for Saturn really looks like?

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

.....thanks Mick & Mitchell.....I've never you-tubed anything in my life Mitchell, so I wouldn't know where to start..?!? :question: :)

#11 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Breathtaking images. Red animation is insanely good!

#12 steveyzh

steveyzh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Superb! Winjupos' de-rotation really hepled.
Steve

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Michal & Steve...I haven't bothered with WinJupos derotations for awhile but have quite a few to do including on some of this particular morning's data which might prove very interesting.....

John Rogers sent me a very "chuffing" email this morning :grin: as we're about to leave for the Mallee...for 3 nights possibly: please excuse us quoting it - some of you fellas would have every right to start sending us "poison pen" emails for the luck we're having with the seeing in these images..! :shocked: :)

<"Hi Darryl & Pat,
Wonderful images -- the hexagon is really distinct, and there is a full wave pattern along the edge of the largest belt -- I suppose this is near the latitude of the great storm, and I wonder if it is the same as the Voyager Ribbon. Perhaps the most detail I have ever seen in amateur images of Saturn!">

#14 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Another stunning set, as we have come to expect from you this apparition :grin: Love the red channel animation, the detail is super on all of them :applause:

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Brian - to tell the truth I hit a bit of a brick wall with WinJupos derotations a little while ago - most embarassing for someone who has written a tute that a lot of folks use..!!! :rainbow: :foreheadslap: :help: :lol:

It was primarily because I'd forgotten one of the simple rules with Saturn that I'm not even sure my tute adequately explains (meaning a new revision is necessary for it) but all's well now: with Saturn one must concentrate on getting the "ring frame" portion of the WinJupos Alignment frame correctly positioned on Saturn to get optimal results.....using the disk is problematical to say the least because the planet isn't circular and despite being able to adjust brightness etc with the "controls" it is very difficult to get a really good fit and the rings are often "chopped" which creates rainbows etc on these elements.....

Hope to post a WinJupos compilation of 2 rgb sets from the first image in the other post and the one before it before we leave in a few hours... :) (I'll post it here!)

#16 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

that's amazing!

#17 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks Sam - if I finish it I'll post it before we leave, but the WinJupos I mentioned in my post above your post is looking quite tasty atm..! :)

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

.....just a quick "post script" from in the field: imaged out in the Mallee again this morning employing 6000mm f/l and managed some fairly nice avi sets with an emphasis or capturing several in a row for a W/Jupos compilation.....after that the seeing took a substantial dip but we'll try again :fingerscrossed: tonight/tomorrow morning: earlier looks better as although seeing is supposed to remain very high all night the transparency is meant to dive anytime between 1:30am & 4:30am.....

For anyone local on CN we take our SkippySky "forecasts" from the Stockport zone which gives a very in-depth analysis of this region of the Murray Mallee.....

ps: we won't post that other WinJupos I spoke of earlier untill we return home tomorrow or the next day... :)

#19 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

The vertices of the hexagon easily could double as the hands of a clock in your animations. The hex is so obvious that you've single-handedly eliminated the need for polar projections, I just don't know what you're going to do for an encore at opposition! :grin:

Pete

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Polar projections are still very worthwhile in their own right Pete imho.....I hope to show a couple with a slightly different bent in the near future! :)

Sitting in the caravan at the old sportsground doing some processing from last night atm - went into the all-but-dead little town a few k's down the road and had a yarn to the Postmaster there.....he's only my age or thereabouts and informed me that an old fella and his wife who I got to know after my Dad passed away had also passed away along with his wife - this man had attended the one-room school that existed back then with my Dad in the 1920's.....of course everything passes away eventually, but in near-deserted places like this with all my own family memories connected to the area it can become especially poignant...but one bright note was the old railway dam/lake that supplied the steam locomotives with their water back when this was a busy railhead is half-full after many years of drought: a quick reconnoitre reveals the telltale signs of freshwater crayfish which we'd travel here to catch many years ago, some of the biggest you'd see anywhere: we'll be bringing our nets to drop in it overnight whilst we image next time we come..!!! :fishing: :yay: :shocked: :grin:

Talking of "tasty" fare, initial processing suggests perhaps something very tasty from early this morning..... :fingerscrossed: :question: :grin:

#21 Olorin

Olorin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Darryl these images are awesome.
About the animations it seems to me that the interval between the animation frames is long. I guess this is due to the fact that the animation is just a "byproduct" of your imaging session.
If I can wish for something then I wish you go out there one night for an animation as the main goal with small interval between the images and many many frames to go into the animation. that will be a sight that will drop some jaws :-) (not that the above aren't as well).
Saying that I do understand the hours you put into imaging and processing and such an animation will require tons of work...

Thanks Darryl for the inspiration
Dror

#22 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Animations really show the surface activity almost Jupiter like. What I would do for seeing like that.

#23 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks Dror - I have in fact made a couple of reasonably lengthy animations using frames that are separated by very short intervals, like one rgb set capture after the other.....

The trouble is that once you employ more than about 3 frames in an animation of rgb's at the scale of the 2-framers above the filesize automatically exceeds the 200Kb limits of CN - if you make them smaller so you can fit more than 3 they look rather "weedy" imo.....there's also "Web Snap" & "Lossy" to reduce the size but they mangle the appearance/quality: one day when I can devote the time to a web page I'll place a few in my gallery..! :grin:

#24 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Darryl I was thinking about how you could do longer animations; could you post them as a video on YouTube and then provide a link here?

Pete

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Pete, as I said to Mitchell the other day, I have never you-tubed anything before and wouldn't know where to start - but if someone pointed me in the right direction I'll give it a try sometime! :)

"Sometime" being the operative word: as Pat said this morning as we discussed last night's efforts and I warned her about "not counting your chickens until they've hatched.....to which she replied "yes, but we've gathered some mighty fine eggs last night!!! :shocked: :grin:

Last night was magnificent, we started at 6000mm, went to 6660mm and finally with a bit of possible insanity employed 7370mm focal lengths..! :)

But we'll have to wait and see: like the animation question just simple processing is a huge undertaking atm! :shocked: :foreheadslap: :crazyeyes:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics