is Leo I visual?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'm getting told that faint dwarf gxy Leo I just north of Regulus is not a visual target but that can't be true. :o

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm getting told that faint dwarf gxy Leo I just north of Regulus is not a visual target but that can't be true. :o

Leo 1 *is* a visual target as long as you have a dark sky (ZLM 6.0 or fainter). I have seen it a number of times in my 10 inch Newtonian and others have seen it in smaller telescopes as well. It isn't bright (and you have to keep Regulus out of the field of view), but it can be seen as a dim diffuse oval glow roughly 8' arc x 6' arc in size. It is in reality probably somewhat larger than this, but that is about all I see of it. Clear skies to you.

#3 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

I have heard that it is and the late Mr. Scott Houston of S&T Deep Sky column reported that he saw it with a 10" reflector in Kansas, USA. I looked for it with an 8" f6 Reflector in the past but never saw it; I plan to go after it with my 20" f4 this weekend from 6+ mag limit skies of southern AZ, USA. I will let you know if I see it.

#4 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

I could have sworn I've seen it before but not in my scope. I just checked my database and the last time I looked for it and logged it was in 1986 with my home-built 8-inch f/9.44 scope from Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. This was just before I completed my 16-inch f/6.4 Dob. There was probably no way I was going to see it from 570 feet next to a city of 500K people on a brightly lit base either.

This is the time to check it out with my better equipment at a much better location. Maybe this weekend if the weather holds.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

There was a thread not too long ago where Leo I was discussed. I've observed it from dark sites a number of times through several different telescopes. I've also seen Leo II but it was a far more difficult target.

Dave Mitsky

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

There was a thread not too long ago where Leo I was discussed. I've observed it from dark sites a number of times through several different telescopes. I've also seen Leo II but it was a far more difficult target. Dave Mitsky+

Thanks Dave - it's here :bow: - did a search but didn't find it hence my duplication with this thread. But I'll now try for Leo II and III - couldn't find Leo IV in Megastar :grin:

#7 Frank

Frank

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Celestron C14, SQM21.4, low magnification and Regulus out of the field and succeeded.

#8 MessierScott

MessierScott

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yes, it is!

Get to dark skies and move Regulus off the edge of the field. It's definitely not obvious, but I've picked up a nice large oval glow against the background sky.

#9 Akarsh Simha

Akarsh Simha

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

While I could not easily see Leo-I from a Bortle 4 observing site (it might have been possible with some more careful hunting) with my 18", it was obvious in the same aperture from Bortle 1 skies at TSP.

My guess is that dark skies are of utmost importance. If you have sufficiently dark skies, my guess is that you'll see it with much smaller aperture.

#10 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

There was a thread not too long ago where Leo I was discussed. I've observed it from dark sites a number of times through several different telescopes. I've also seen Leo II but it was a far more difficult target. Dave Mitsky+

Thanks Dave - it's here :bow: - did a search but didn't find it hence my duplication with this thread. But I'll now try for Leo II and III - couldn't find Leo IV in Megastar :grin:

Hey that's the first time someone referenced one of my post here on CN!!!! YAY....... :crazy:

I will agree with everyone and say Leo I is certainly a visual target. Just as everyone else stated you will need dark skies. However you will also want very transparent / dry skies. From my dark sky site back in MI I was never able to see Leo I in my 12" dob. This MI site was about 800' ASL and was fairly humid. My first attempt at my new dark sky site in southeastern arizona Leo I was rather easy in my 12" f/5 dob. This desert site is ~6000 feet ASL and very dry. I'm am certain it would be visible in less ideal locations but not as easy a target.

I hope to be out in the Chiricahua Mtns this coming weekend imaging and observing. Leo I will for sure be on my list and I will include Leo II and III.

Clear Skies,
Jason

#11 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Congratulation on your being referenced Jason! Now your in the Big Leagues. :D

I had a go at Leo I this past Saturday with my 20" f4.5 using a Meade 14mm UWA 4000 (163X). The seeing was average at the Chiricahua Astronomy Complex(CAC) operated by the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association (TAAA)located just west of the base of the Chiricahua Mts but transparency was very good. Stars to 6+ mag were visible. Keeping Regulus on the far edge of the VOF and when seeing was steady, I could easily see a round, brightening, like that of an unresolved globular cluster in the center of the FOV. I found Leo I is quite sensitive to seeing conditions as I observed it for ~ 20 minutes with varying seeing conditions.

Jason, where are you observing at in the Chiricahua Mts?

#12 jeff heck

jeff heck

Apollo

• Loc: stl,mo.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

It sure isn't for me with the 16" from the dark skies of central Kansas. Mass averted imagination syndrome, maybe? :grin:

#13 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

It's a visual target if you see it. Tonight for me it was not. It's a toughie. Even with the triangle to the west and two stars to the east, it's still hard. It's just not obvious. I'd put it up there with the Horse Head nebula.

#14 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Edward,

I typically setup a few miles into the Coronado National Forest off of 42. There is a large open clearing with large concrete slabs that is nice. It is around 6k feet if I recall. Not the best view to the horizon but perfect for imaging.

If I'm only observing I will setup in the Echo Canyon parking lot in the Chiricahua National Monument. That's a great location with views all the way to the horizon for darn near 360 degrees.

I have been trying to make it to a TAAA meeting but my schedule has not cooperated. The resources available to the club members is very impressive. I emailed a club officier some time ago but never got a response.

Clear Skies,
Jason

#15 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit Michigan

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Edward,

I typically setup a few miles into the Coronado National Forest off of 42. There is a large open clearing with large concrete slabs that is nice. It is around 6k feet if I recall. Not the best view to the horizon but perfect for imaging.

If I'm only observing I will setup in the Echo Canyon parking lot in the Chiricahua National Monument. That's a great location with views all the way to the horizon for darn near 360 degrees.

I have been trying to make it to a TAAA meeting but my schedule has not cooperated. The resources available to the club members is very impressive. I emailed a club officier some time ago but never got a response.

Clear Skies,
Jason

From Michigan to the Chiricahuas - you are definitely moving up in the world. I was there one night on vacation, and I couldn't figure out where the light was that was causing all the shadows on the parking lot, then I realized that it was the Milky Way! That's the kind of light pollution I like.

#16 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear that the Club's officer did not respond to your request. They are usually very good on following up on request for info. What info are you needing? I might know the answer or can direct someone to you.

#17 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sorry to hear that the Club's officer did not respond to your request. They are usually very good on following up on request for info. What info are you needing? I might know the answer or can direct someone to you.

Edward,

No worries! I went back in my email and found my message. I had sent it to the TAAA-INFO address. Maybe no one is monitoring this mailbox? The message was sent prior to my moving to Tucson. I will send a PM with a bit more info.

From Michigan to the Chiricahuas....

Yup! A serious astro upgrade. I had the same MW shadow experience last April when I was there on vacation.

Clear Skies,
Jason

#18 DJCalma

DJCalma

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

What combination of aperture, field of view, magnification, would be necessary to visually detect Leo I in a white zone? ie Downtown Los Angeles.

#19 MikeRatcliff

MikeRatcliff

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Visually from downtown LA? Impossible. You're into photography territory. The surface brightness of the galaxy is less than the sky brightness. Nytecam has a nice setup and frequently posts images of faint objects here.
Mike

#20 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Tried last night, Friday, April 12, 2013, from Redstone Picnic Area on the north shore of Lake Mead and no dice. It was dark enough but couldn't pick it out though I was looking directly at it. I had the exact star pattern in the field at 102X, but the glare of the star, Regulus about made it impossible to pick out the faint glow. I switched to 220X which narrowed the FOV and darkened the background (plus cut out the glare of Regulus) but didn't help a bit. However, I easily picked up IC-591. A very faint oval glow. Sweeping back from there to the star pattern where Leo I was, I couldn't even tell a difference in the sky background. My observing partner tried also and between the two of us, nothing. He tried through his 10-inch, same result.

Sky conditions were plenty dark but maybe not ideal. There were high thin clouds moving throuh the area, giving inconsistent seeing and transparency so maybe...

I still think I've seen it before but either through another scope or forgot to log it, which is unlikely.

I'll try again next month.

#21 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Tried to try for it last night but... we just couldn't! Well, we had quite good conditions at our seaside site with SQM 21.03, great seeing, and a great southern horizon over the sea. I left Leo I towards the end of the session for the maximum dark adaptation and for the darkest possible conditions. Just as I swang the 18" dob towards Regulus, a track was heard out of nowhere with headlights on! The track belonged to somebody who was in the sea wsith a boat, and right at that time he dedided to pull it out on the trailer. It took them maybe 15 minutes. I gave it half an hour for my eyes to re-adapt but now Regulus moved to a lower position and towards a rather brighter part of the sky. This, coupled with the lost dark adaptation meant no Leo I even through 18"....

#22 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I feel your pain!

#23 MikeRatcliff

MikeRatcliff

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I also looked last night April 12 from the Riverside Club site at GMARS in California. According to the light pollution maps, the site is close to the blue-green boundary. However with the growth of the nearby town of Yucca Valley, it is probably in the solidly green zone now. I don't have an SQM, but based on previous experience with others using a meter, I'm guessing 21.3-ish, pretty good but not the best for California deserts. There were no clouds visible. Leo was close to zenith so that helped.

Leo I was pretty easy to find again, having seen it recently before. The best magnifications were 80x to 100x with narrow field eyepieces and absolutely keeping Regulus out of the field. I tried not to even look at Regulus while searching, but that was tough to avoid. On the star patterns, there are two 12-th magnitude stars with similar brightnesses nearby (to the north) that remind me of a pair of eyes. If you look close to those stars and move in the direction of Regulus, that puts you very close to Leo I. Quickly moving the telescope back and forth to see movement of the galaxy was needed to first see it.

I did also try for Leo II and Leo III. Leo III I believe i did see. There was a brightening that was in the correct location. In fact when I got to the area, I saw the brightening first , and it turned out it was in the correct location, giving me more confidence. I had printed detailed charts from Skytools 3.

Leo II was more difficult and I'm calling it a less than 50-50 observation. There is a faint 13th mag foreground star near the center, and I thought I could see something around this star (in fact saw the same last week). But I'm not going to call if confirmed until better conditions.

Mike

#24 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Third try tonight folks and I did see Leo I! It 'blinked' but I saw it. I ain't going crazy. I saw it. So there!

#25 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Third try tonight folks and I did see Leo I! It 'blinked' but I saw it. I ain't going crazy. I saw it.So there!

Well done - perseverance won :bow:

Here for completeness is my final object on Apr 16 in Leo 1. Under the bright crescent moon and hazy conditions I didn't think it was possible to record it but nothing ventured nothing gained or learnt.

With a modest increase in exposure it's revealed - note the 'glow' of Regulus in the hazy conditions. To think that the object visually needs pristine skies but records in my poor SW London LP skies :o

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics