Photo

Mundane topic... AAA batteries for lasers?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ubermick

ubermick

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Rafael, CA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Here's a quick question for folks... I have a basic 5mW laser pointer that I use at star parties, when with my mother in law (no, I don't shoot her in the eye despite that being tempting!) or even walking the dog, pointing out things of interest to my wife who's REALLY getting into the hobby.

Alas, it goes through batteries fast. I bought a pack of Costco AAA Duracell batteries a while back, and am already halfway through the package. I honestly don't use it that much, but I find that even after a few minutes of use, the beam has degraded noticably, and at an average star party/outreach event, the batteries are completely toast come the end of the evening.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality battery (and I suppose charger) for these things?

#2 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have had good luck with the energizer rechargeable NiMH AAAs.

Another option is to see if they make lithium batteries in AAA size. Those can have up to 9x the capacity of alkaline depending on which ones you get. They aren't rechargeable though.

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

I have multiple green laser pointers. One of them seems to kill the batteries even when I don't use it. There must be some slight drain on the battery even when not turned on. Try taking the batteries out when not using it.

I found some lithium AAA batteries at Walmart. I haven't killed them yet so I can't say how much better they might be.

#4 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Plain old Rayovac's work for a long time in my two lasers...

#5 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

All the rechargeables I ever got never lasted too long. I changed to lithium and the laser pointer works much better and longer.

#6 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Fellow Liverpool FC supporter,

Have you only used your laser in cold temperatures?

#7 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I use AAA lithiums that I got either at Walmart or my local hardware store--I don't remember where now. They really last. They do better in the cold, too.

#8 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I only use either lithium primaries or NIMH as rechargeables. I will never use regular alkalines in anything that is expensive as they are prone leak. Try Battery Junction as there are always good deals to be had...excellent service.

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Non-rechargeable lithium batteries will last longest.
Rechargeables put out less voltage, so either won't operate or will produce a weaker beam.
Keep the laser warm, as in an inside pocket, when not in use. This will make the output of the batteries stronger and warm the diode for stronger output.
If the laser is stone cold, warm it before turning it on.
Use the laser when pointing, but not when talking about what you pointed at. I use a green laser pointer when showing the sky to newbies, but it is on only about 25% of the time I'm talking about what I pointed at.

#10 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Lithium works best for me. I cannot say one brand is better than another.

#11 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I've had very good experience with Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my AAA size GLP's; I don't have the GLP 'on' for more than a couple of seconds at a time. Low temps seem to affect the GLP laser unit more than the batteries' ability to output the required current, and a pack of handwarmer usually keeps it warm enough when temps dip below ~60F

#12 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Another Liverpool FC supporter here. They do drain the battery quick but Duracell rechargeable batteries are doing the trick for me.

#13 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

A dummy battery ( wood dowel diameter to match and cut to length positive and negative wires attached to match original battery a small hole drilled on the side of laser pointer to allow long enough wires to allow mobility needed and for those using a celestron power tank a quick attachment to the 3volt accessory port and there should be plenty of power for normal use, at least it worked for me until someone walked away with it one night. They must have mistaken it for an electric pen with 8 foot leads.
Don't have a laser now and don't plan on replacing it. Just another toy.
Be Well
Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics