Jump to content


Dew is apparently killing my mount

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW



  • -----
  • Posts: 1460
  • Joined: 01 Nov 2012
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've had my scope and Paramount MX set up in our spare bedroom making sure everything worked before I took it outside. I took it out to the backyard for the first time tonight and let it sit for a couple of hours to cool off. Weather was 63 deg, 71% humidity, dew point 51. At 7:30 I brought my laptop out, hooked up all the cables, and turned everything on. The mount seemed to connect to TheSky X  and I started the slew to the Home position. It slewed for a couple of seconds and then a Comm Error message popped up and the mount stopped. Something about the comm link being lost. This happened over and over and over. And the hand control wouldn't function, either. I replugged cables, reloaded drivers, rebooted everything, several times to no avail  I finally gave up and packed everything back inside the house. 

I checked the Software Bisque support forum and found one reference to dew, cold, and USB cables. I grabbed my wife's blow dryer and hit the USB and HC ports and no more comm errors. Everything worked fine. I just can't believe my mount is getting killed by an imperceptible amount of moisture. Has anyone one had a similar problem that you've been able to find a solution for that doesn't include carrying a blow dryer for your mount? And I'm pretty sure it's not the USB connector on the laptop side, I've had it out many times controlling my CPC800 with no problems.

#2 neptun2


    Viking 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 996
  • Joined: 04 Mar 2007
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well that's strange. I have used my HEQ5 many times in places with hifg humidity without problems. I usually use combination of us to serial converter and serial cable with RJ11 plug at the mount for control and these never gave me any problem. I personally connect the cables directly when the mount is outside. Maybe this way you will not experience problems. Get the mount outside , connect all cables and when you decide to start just connect the laptop.

#3 CharlesW



  • -----
  • Posts: 1460
  • Joined: 01 Nov 2012
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

That's exactly what I did. Hooked the USB and hand control cables up to the mount and just left the laptop end hanging until I went back out after twilight. When I gave up and brought everything back in I figured I'd see if the mount would run with just the HC connected but the HC was dead. That's when I broke out the hair dryer and viola, back to normal.

#4 EFT


    Vendor - Deep Space Products

  • *****
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 2602
  • Joined: 07 May 2007
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sounds like you might have either a bad board or bad cable somewhere. Unless the mount was simply dripping wet, I would not expect dew to be a problem. But a bad trace on a board or a bad solder connection on the cable socket could be enough with a slight temperature change to cause a broken connection. You should probably talk to the manufacturer about a new board.

#5 Jean Mario

Jean Mario


  • -----
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 21 Nov 2010
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada, St-Jerome.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Try Dielectric silicone !

#6 frolinmod


    Surveyor 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 1960
  • Joined: 06 Aug 2010
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

You might not want to put any lubricants into the USB jacks. Doing so might make them no longer retain USB plugs very well. I've seen people cry after doing so.

#7 JoseBorrero



  • *****
  • Posts: 3275
  • Joined: 04 Sep 2009
  • Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

should talk with them, and ask what is it, because they know. If it going to be all time, then is a huge problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics