Mallincam wavy lines on monitor?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I have a Mallincam Xtreme camera. I have noticed wavy movement on my monitor screen when I turn the brightness on
the monitor up high. You cannot see them when I turn down the brightness. I get it on both S-Video and composite video. Is this normal or should I be looking for some inference? Thanks.
Jim

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

James - sound like mains? interference - keep cables well separated to see if this improves things - good luck :rainbow:

#3 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I was thinking ground-loop interference..... James, do the noise bars roll up the screen?

If so, Google ground-loop interference, lots of fixed out there!

Good luck!

Andy

#4 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

They do not roll. They sort of shimmer.

#5 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Are you using a mallincam fan kit, and if so, are you using the same power supply for both. This can cause issues.

Tony

#6 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

I do not have any fans. My wires are bundled together inside of a large wire loom along with the power wire to the scope. Its just an annoyance because when I turn down the brightness, the waviness goes away. Thanks.
Jim

#7 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I had this issue because of a ground loop from the mount. Leave everything connected then start turning off/unplugging one device at a time and see when the lines stop. It would really show up in captures and nsn broadcasts. Also too much adjustment on the mallincam vid cap pot would really make the lines show up.

#8 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

That is a great idea. Its not the MCV-1E because it shows up in both the S-Video and the composite video and the MCV only affects S-Video. Thanks.
Jim

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

... My wires are bundled together inside of a large wire loom along with the power wire to the scope. ...

Jim,

I assume your power system is all battery powered or it's through an AC-DC power adapter? If latter, what's the power adapter's make/model?

In general, best practice would be separating small signal/delicate devices power feed from other heavy duty/noisy power guzzlers (mount motor, dew heater, fan, and if possible, Peltier Cooler.)

The fact of life is when a high-gain amplification is at work, any interference, power supply ripple, RF interference (e.g., cellphone) etc. also got amplified as well.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Also should test from the USB video capture path to see if the same wavy line to track down the culprit.

BTW, what make/model is the video monitor? Very low end ones may have cheap DC-restoration circuit which the artifact may show.

A screenshot on the "wavy line" would be helpful, since NTSC (and PAL) has a few well-known undesirable effects if signal/timing is not perfect.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#11 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Its a Speco 9 inch monitor.

#12 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

I isolated everything but still cannot find the source. I am not going to worry about it since they only show up when I turn the brightness on the monitor all the way up. I never image that way. Thanks.
Jim

#13 adkstars

adkstars

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Au Sable Forks,NY

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

when all else fails,replace your cable.

#14 RandyC

RandyC

Ranger 4

• Loc: RI

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have checked all my cables and am using grounded AC power. After I had my camera serviced, I got this wavy interference pattern. What are the issues in the camera that can cause this. It's not power interference or cables.

#15 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Randy,

I've never seen a failure of any of the components in a camera causing this sensitivity to interference ... but it is possible. I'd setup as clean a configuration as possible to prove a problem with the camera so you can go back to who did the service with something concrete if you want to go that route.

When you get interference and it's not from an obvious source (you've replaced the cables and tried different power sources) it can sometimes be caused by low voltage to the camera. Low voltage seems to cause some strange things on the camera. I'd try different power sources and vary the voltage from exactly 12 to something in the 14v range (fully charged battery) to see if that makes any difference.

#16 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

Randy,

If you have a 12V battery try powering the MC with that to see if the noise goes away.  Batteries have the cleanest power.

Regards,

Curtis

#17 RandyC

RandyC

Ranger 4

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Okay, call me an idiot. It was the power supply. Rock says video is sooo sensitive in this regard.

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Randy, 

Glad it was an easy fix.

You can see why it's so helpful to have some redundant gear when you are troubleshooting strange video problems.

It's not uncommon that after having a camera serviced that we become quite a bit more critical and often look more carefully at it's operation ... so I could easily see that sometimes we'd "find" stuff that's actually been there all the time.

Rock produces most of his cameras from very high quality components but the included 12v power supplies while effective and inexpensive are not produced to the same standards (and it wouldn't make sense to do so) ... so I guess the occasional failure is to be expected.

Edited by mclewis1, 21 August 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#19 RandyC

RandyC

Ranger 4

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Mike. I also use video smoothing in Miloslick which helps remove that last bit of interference. You just have to remember to turn it off before switching to a different frame grabber.

#20 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

I've always used the Costco bought power tank/car starter battery to power my Mallincam. I use the noisy 120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply for everything else.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics