Venus Now East of the Sun

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Venus has now moved East of the Sun, though it is less than 3 degrees from the Sun right now and starting its next "evening star" appearance. Venus will be passing Mars (now approaching superior conjunction with the Sun) over the next week (watch the SOHO satellite GIF movies)and will become visible low in the West in May.

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

What's astonishing to me is Mars is STILL east of the sun. I know the two year cycle mechanics but Id ve thought it'd be west by now.

Pete

#3 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yes it is. Mars is moving eastward but Earth is swifter so Mars slowly looses ground each day. Its fun watching the SOHO GIF movies seeing the Sun/planets motion against the background stars. If you watch today there is the special feature of watching the Sun disk stalk on the spacecraft move from the lower left to the upper right. I did not know that it was movable. Looks like Mars will be to the west of the Sun next month. I'm looking forward to the next Mars viewing season.

#4 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

• Loc: SARASOTA,FL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

yes,its about 2.2 deg east,one can pick it up in broad daylite in about 5 days with scope at 3 deg ,but suns glare will be there as well ,so much better at 5 deg but still not worthwhile too see until mid -may.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics