Photo

PDF of my town's ordinances of lighting. May Help?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

http://www.huntingdo...hed_Zoning_O...

Iam curious If i could use this to help "encourage" my neighbor to shield his dusk till dawn stupidly bright light.

Page 138 and 139. I think section 507A (his light is more than 6ft above the ground) and 507D because his light is very bright, un-shielded, and spills into my yard (and kitchen.

I think I "have him" if the argument is "by the book"

#2 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

The light I would like shielded is the white one center. The yellow light is from another neighbor's motion spot lights.

Posted Image

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Are you on good terms? Maybe just stop by and ask them politely. Even offer to pay and do the work. Probable no more the $20. The "book" should be the fallback plan.

I was always bothered by my neighbors lights. In conversations with them, I mentioned light pollution without pointing out their lights. One day I tell them I'm doing some imaging and the next thing I know they turn the lights off. Now, if they see me out there, they shut them off.

#4 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hes kind of a *BLEEP* but you never know. I just wanted all the facts before I approach him. I think I may be able to make a shield out off sheet metal and a large hose clamp.....IF he is willing to let me install it.

#5 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

I happened to notice that this annoying light you speak of is in what appears to be a car port or some sort of covered work area. That is so stupid of this guy to think that somehow this light on all night would stop a their from stealing anything in that area. People can be so dumb when they assume that leaving a light on all night long would somehow prevent a robbery. The truth of the matter is that if someone wanted to waltz right in there and take something they would without you or him knowing anything about it. That light on is doing nothing but wasting electricity.

obin :ohmy:

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

It looks like there's a fairly high fence between the properties; you could just drape something over the fence, while observing, to block the light.

#7 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

No. The fence is only about waist high. I wish.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Darn; it looks much higher in the photo. :( If the neighbor won't cooperate, you might consider building some LP panels for observing.

#9 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

How about a temporary shield like black plastic between 2 poles? Something you can set up between uses?

#10 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Iam off this weekend. Something has to change. I noticed I could see his light through both sides of my dob's light shroud material. No doubt hurting some contrast.

I may make something temporary here soon.

#11 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

clamps and a tarp on that fence would help too for the time being, but since the lamp is on his property, it is his problem to fix. gl getting him to put a shield on it.

#12 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I asked him today about a shield. I told him I would buy/make one AND install it for him. He said. "yea, ill have to see what it looks like"

He said he is worried about someone tampering with his vehicles (B.S) and I think he is worried I want to block a lot of his INsecurity light. In fact I just want my yard shielded and am confident I can please the both of us if he will give me a chance.

Can you buy shields? I think a bought one would appeal to him more than the home made one I had in mind.

Iam pretty sure this is his light although I have a hard time believing its only 70watts
http://www.lowes.com...1677&Ntt=sec...

#13 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

I was just outside playing with mock cardboard shields.

I have found that a tiny 4.5"x4.5" shield facing my property is all that is needed to darken my yard. IMO this still leaves tons of "security" light on his vehicles.

#14 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

A Dog does much more to deter a thief, they are all basic cowards. You cant TALK a Dog out of protection mode.
I live across the Street from a Funeral Parlor.
They leave their large white Panel light on 24/7.
It is about 5" tall and 8' wide and is as bright as a street light. I can easily read by it from my yard.
I havent talked to him about it but am tempted to ask if he doesn't mind me throwing a tarp over it while I am out.
You guys in the Country have no idea how lucky you are.
I hope your light is is easy to resolve..

#15 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well as an update my neighbor wont shield his light.

I asked the code enforment officer to check out the situation for me. I however have no idea of what the outcome of this may be. He seemed to just be blowing me off on the phone.

Also to make things worse my neighbor used to sit on the board so hes sort of one of "the good ole boys" as far as the bourough is concerned.

I can barely observe from my yard. I rarely go out anymore ; (

#16 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Has all interaction with your neighbor and code official been verbal up to this point? I ask because it has been my experience that, after niceties fail, letters explaining the situation and requesting relief, if properly drafted, can be effective.

Officials, especially, tend to respond better to written requests than verbal ones.

Of course, nothing may motivate the code official if he and your neighbor are, as you say, "good old' boys", and belong to the same "club" in town. If that's the case, any local judge you might bring the issue before is likely a member of the same "club", so your chances of success if going that route might be minimal.

It might be time to consider light-blocking panels.

Fred

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

It might be time to consider light block panels. Check this link out (scroll down), for many illustrations other members have come up with.

Link

#18 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thank you. Iam not going to "legally" pursue this anymore. It seems futile.

Yes a light blocking panel will be my next endeavor. Iam thinking about a more permanent high solid fence sort of thing. Perhaps painted hot pink on the side facing him. lol

#19 astro-monkey

astro-monkey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Put up a giant panel / fence / wall with a mirror on his side. Then he'll have even more INsecurity light.

#20 Jeff Phinney

Jeff Phinney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Put up a giant panel / fence / wall with a mirror on his side. Then he'll have even more INsecurity light.

Aluminized Mylar that shines the light back and blows in wind causing shifting shadows should continually get this attention.

#21 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you. I’am not going to "legally" pursue this anymore. It seems futile.

One day you ask the town check for code violation and the next day you give up? :bawling:

Follow up, buy the planning staff coffee, invite them over to see light and use your scope. Make friends! :flower:

In my town, we've been fighting the big dog, a college for over two years on light and noise issues. We have two "wins" so far. A limit on the hours for a very badly designed lighted sports field and for a large new project, a commitment to use IDA approved lights. The college tried to end run the IDA lights, but I called and emailed the town staff and the college said in effect "oops.” They are correcting the “error”.

No one really seems to care about astronomy and the common sense understanding of security lighting is difficult to change, but you have a common law right (the castle doctrine) to the peaceful and enjoyable use of your property. If the town refuses to :rules:enforce their rules, or issues your neighbor a variance, consider small claims court. No lawyers involved.

Good luck, no matter what course you follow.

#22 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

nice links!!

#23 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thank you. Iam not going to "legally" pursue this anymore. It seems futile.

Yes a light blocking panel will be my next endeavor. Iam thinking about a more permanent high solid fence sort of thing. Perhaps painted hot pink on the side facing him. lol

Just paint the words "the fence comes down when the light goes off" in hot pink lettering. He will get the hint.

obin ;)

#24 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

barbarosa ,
YES I suppose the least I could do is call back and ask what the outcome of the supposed inspection was. Iam not sure if they would tell me. I do know its been about two weeks since I called and nothing has changed in my backyard.

#25 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

barbarosa ,
YES I suppose the least I could do is call back and ask what the outcome of the supposed inspection was. Iam not sure if they would tell me. I do know its been about two weeks since I called and nothing has changed in my backyard.

I know it can seem uphill, but one or two more calls might do the job. Your call might have gone into the fruitcake file but it also could be that they have inspections scheduled 4 weeks out.

I will not guess at how much they will tell you, but reasonably, you made a request and entitled to know the result. Heck, your state might even have a good freedom of information statute or public records access law.

Count yourself lucky to have an ordinance that might be enforceable and continue politely to pursue enforcement. If not for you alone, then for the benefit of all, think of it is a 1960’s exercise in consciousness-raising.

My sense is that you will not take the suggestions to erect an unsightly or “spite” fence. Fence law varies from area to area, but in many places, that is the path to hiring lawyers, surveyors, and mediators. One of my neighbors had to spend several thousand to defend an absurd civil suit about a fence that was in full compliance with our fence regulations. The five attorneys, two surveyors and the mediator were the only winners. The fence stands.

Again, good luck in whatever you do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics