Meade Deep Sky Imager II

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Anyone have the Meade Deep Sky Imager II color camera? I am not talking about the original DSI cameras but the ones that came later. I am about to purchase one and want to know whether it gives good views on DSOs. Thanks.
Jim

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Anyone have the Meade Deep Sky Imager II color camera? I am not talking about the original DSI cameras but the ones that came later. I am about to purchase one and want to know whether it gives good views on DSOs. Thanks.
Jim

They can do pretty well with adequate dark frames applied. These like the original DSI are uncooled. They are more alike the original than different, with just slightly larger chips, I recall.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Jim,

Same size SONY CCD type-1/2" image sensor as in few "popular" videocams mentioned here.

Active Cooling, especially on larger sized CCD, helps a lot for long exposure. Unmodified Meade DSI-II C does not have it.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

By modern standards the DSI II gives fair images. The DSI II is basically a DSI I with a slightly larger chip; a Type 1/2 instead of a Type 1/3. In the family of small CCDs is actually does very well. It is small, lightweight, and very easy to use.

For camera-assisted observing it also does a fairly good job and Envisage is very well suited for real-time observing once you get the hang of it. The images are a tad soft, but not bad.

#5 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I had a DSI 2 Color.....IMHO, the Meade software is worse than bad. Unk was right, get a pot full of darks and you should be OK.

To me, it is a better guide camera than imager.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

:)

I hear that a lot. I guess you either like Envisage or hate it, there t'ain't to many in between. I've always liked it and I have never seen any software better suited for camera assisted observing. I still make heavy use of Envisage with my DSI III and Pro III for observing. It is wonderful that we gave so many choices that there is a good chance that we can each find something that we like.

Enjoy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics