M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

A long awaited good clear night (and very good seeing).

With Saturn still not quite high enough I decided to check out M65 after seeing a note re. a recent supernova. No definite sighting of the s'nova (fainter than mag. 14 by then I understand) but was charmed by the detail in this galaxy; hence the drawing. The s'nova would have been, I believe, on the light patch/arm(?) to the left of the mag. 12 star on the s'west edge and did suspect a lightness within the 'arm' but very uncertain.

Thought to tackle M66 but Saturn was beckoning...!

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

David,
That is a wonderful sketch. Great detail the galaxy has a figure 8 shape to it. Thank You for sharing.

Ken

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

:waytogo:

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

David.

You are very talented. I really like your sketches.

Andre.

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

David,

Very good sketch of M-65 :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Splenid sketch speaking to the skills and talents of the observer as well as the quality of his equipment.Love it!

#7 AlexxxAA

AlexxxAA

Explorer 1

• Loc: Downey, CA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Amazing sketch David!
Really makes me want to take out my 12" give some galaxies a try, even if my skies are horribly polluted.
Even if i only see grey blobs, it should be a nice challenge.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

David,

Wonderful detail in M65. Difficult enough to pull it in very tough to capture it so well.
Great sketch.

Frank :)

#9 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Superb sketch, David! You clearly saw more detail than I but on the other hand you used a much higher mag, didn't you? Or it'll be my eyes that are getting on a bit. :D In any case, I'm seriously impressed by your work.

Ciaooo!

Peter

#10 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

My grateful appreciation to you all for your complimentary words on this and my Saturn April 4 posts.

I suppose my M65 rendering has its roots in a dummy run the night before 2012 DA 14 passed by. During this rehearsal I chanced upon M106 ā€“ never seen before by me. As with M65 was charmed by (at least incipiently) viewing some spiral structure and the oblique squat ā€˜Sā€™ shape of the brighter inner barred region; and resolved to revisit on a good night for a sketch. Apart the M65 supernova diversion on the April 4 I had been minded to then. Oh yes: clouded out on the asteroid close-approach night ā€“ but at least the dummy run not entirely wasted! All-night twilight comes to us (54.7deg N.) in early May (till early Aug.) so need to get M106 soon!

David.

#11 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Very fine sketch David. Do you sketch using white paper and then invert the sketch to black once it is scanned in?

Best,

Eric

#12 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Eric (and on the Saturn Apr 4 thread!),

Yes this is an HB 'pencil' drawing (stump-painted) and tonally inverted in Corel.

Actually I prefer white on black cartridge but as I was only half prepared (with Saturn in mind) I just grabbed a Daler white (110 gsm) cartridge pad at hand.

The graphite on white is fine but I feel I may have underdone M65's diffuse outer shading a little as it is virtually lost on the 'scan'; also with (?) lo-res for CN: not wanting to mess with it too much just accepted it - a lesson for future efforts!

Just seen the old Saturn ED thread you mentioned in your last e-mail - I see what you mean........!!

Thanks again,

Best, David.

#13 yashi

yashi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Do you finish the whole picture at night during your observation? Or do you mark the key aspects and then finish the piece with a reference photo?

I just cant draw at night with bad light and sub zero temperatures :/. The other technique works well for me tho. But it feels like "cheating".

#14 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yes I aim to get it done on site all things being equal. Some circumstances I might have to resort to supplementary partial sketches and more elaborate notes. Then indoors as soon as possible. With respect I also would regard looking at photos as cheating especially if someone elses: I enjoy the challenge of getting what the eyepiece presents in the age-old tradition!

More details of my approach can be found on the 2nd page of my Saturn April 4 thread in my answer to Ivano (idp).

I find I can draw (and write) quite comfortably with the right sort of gloves: often in the UK(!); dont like fingerless types! I'm not much on fabrics but what I wear are of some sort of 'knitted' stretchable acrylic type thin wool (no labels - consulted my wife!). Perhaps you might try some out in a store with pen/pencil? I keep some dark shades/sunglasses handy when doing such as DSO so I can pop indoors as the chilling demands and not letting myself too hungry: something in the microwave is good. Maybe a spare pair of socks kept in a warm place as cold feet is often the problem so some regard to the right shoes: I wear hiking/walking shoes/boots -rubber soled.

Actually I find frequent walking away from the scope quite de-stressing/grounding rather than grit my teeth and glue to the eyepiece and possibly end up staring and bringing on eye-fatigue (very seldom suffer this). Of course if clouds threaten we can't be so laid-back!

#15 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

That is a great skecth too, I never saw M65 with such an amount of detail.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics