Photo

Hot pixel removal from videos?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

• Loc: Worcestershire, UK

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

The Samsung SDC-435 video camera I use for recording videos of meteors has a few bright hot pixels near the centre of the field of view. Is there any (preferarbly free) software I can use to remove these? ( I presume with some sort of dark frame subtraction).

Thanks

#2 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sorry, hot pixels are a defect that nearly all video sensors suffer from, and they cant be removed.

They can be processed out of a saved image, but thats about it.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hey you guys are funny (removal in the contextual sense or thru physical means) :) :).

Commonly used term is HPS (Hot Pixel Suppression). There are multiple methods. Some camera/videocam bodies have these. Naturally, post-processing certainly can do a great job on such task.

(Please bear with me...)
BTW, for folks who are relatively new here, I'd like to re-state: (debated few times, no need to belabor...)

"Where" does the processing take place doesn't matter. The most important thing is, in this forum, we'd like to see the result be presented in (close to) near real-time.

RE: what is N.R.T.
Use your own imagination. Everyone have their own acceptance level. No need to force feed.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I guess I need to read the OP post.....I got ahead of myself! I guess I took one too many sips from the big bucket of DUH!

Thanks css!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics