• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have posted this before but thought I would refresh the post. For 2 years now I have been using my Imaging Source DMK21 monochrome webcam for planetary imaging and guiding. I consider it the most valuable tool in my arsenal.
The guide scope conisists of an Antares 7 X 50 finderscope (with the right angle removed), and Angea Astro Blue Fireball extension, and a DMK21 monochrome webcam. The bracket is from Scope Stuff. This combination has a very low profile, very light weight and NO flexture. It has a SYNTA type dovetail that is secured with a Synta type bracket. The one screw in the bracket holds this light weight system very securely. Beacuse of the very sensitive Sony CCD on the DMK, I have had very few problems in finding a guide star. I use it on my 80mm APO refractor and on my Meade 8" SCT. I use PHD guding and only had to make some initial adjustments with no further tinkering. Maybe it's just luck that I made up this combo with great success, but I'll take it!

Attached Files

#2 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

I got the same mount and I'm plagued with flexure. I have been meaning to drill more holes for additional set screws to try and remedy the problem. Right now I use zip ties to help keep it more secure and even then I really can't go over about 5 minutes.

#3 jbalsam

jbalsam

Messenger

• Loc: Darnestown, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Bardo -

Are you sure that what is keeping your exposures under 5 minutes is flexure in the guidescope? There are other things that even a perfect guider can't correct for (like field rotation due to polar alignment being a bit off, especially if you're shooting near the pole).

#4 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

What model of blue fireball adapter are you using?

Is this setup better than the 50mm Orion auto guider package?

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's the Blue Fireball 1.25" Eyepiece Extension Tube with 1" Extension. I don't know if it's better than the Orion. All I know is that this set-up works perfectly for me. I use it with PHD guiding. It's lightweight, small and has no flexure. The Sony monochrome CCD chip is very sensitive and captures a lot of guide stars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics