•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Very Reliable Guidescope

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Vanguard

• **---
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have posted this before but thought I would refresh the post. For 2 years now I have been using my Imaging Source DMK21 monochrome webcam for planetary imaging and guiding. I consider it the most valuable tool in my arsenal.
The guide scope conisists of an Antares 7 X 50 finderscope (with the right angle removed), and Angea Astro Blue Fireball extension, and a DMK21 monochrome webcam. The bracket is from Scope Stuff. This combination has a very low profile, very light weight and NO flexture. It has a SYNTA type dovetail that is secured with a Synta type bracket. The one screw in the bracket holds this light weight system very securely. Beacuse of the very sensitive Sony CCD on the DMK, I have had very few problems in finding a guide star. I use it on my 80mm APO refractor and on my Meade 8" SCT. I use PHD guding and only had to make some initial adjustments with no further tinkering. Maybe it's just luck that I made up this combo with great success, but I'll take it!

Attached Files

#2 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

I got the same mount and I'm plagued with flexure. I have been meaning to drill more holes for additional set screws to try and remedy the problem. Right now I use zip ties to help keep it more secure and even then I really can't go over about 5 minutes.

#3 jbalsam

jbalsam

Viking 1

• Loc: Spencerville, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Bardo -

Are you sure that what is keeping your exposures under 5 minutes is flexure in the guidescope? There are other things that even a perfect guider can't correct for (like field rotation due to polar alignment being a bit off, especially if you're shooting near the pole).

#4 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Sand Springs, OK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

What model of blue fireball adapter are you using?

Is this setup better than the 50mm Orion auto guider package?

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Vanguard

• **---
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's the Blue Fireball 1.25" Eyepiece Extension Tube with 1" Extension. I don't know if it's better than the Orion. All I know is that this set-up works perfectly for me. I use it with PHD guiding. It's lightweight, small and has no flexure. The Sony monochrome CCD chip is very sensitive and captures a lot of guide stars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics