• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

http://www.opticstar...p?p=0_10_0_5...

Just stumbled across this the other day and I can't stop thinking about it. Does anyone have some pics taken with this camera? I would like to put together a video rig for outreach(seniors). I plan on imaging SLAP mainly. I also don't have the technical ability to do electronic mods. Budget of about 200$ not including barlows.

my thinkingis as follows:

Plus: air cooled a bonus. USB2.0 good as is not having to do soldering. Also can't find a suitable webcam locally.

cons: For the same price can get a sammy2k, but would still have to make the controller and usb adapter(anyone sell these online already assembled?)

thanks for the suggestions. There is little on the web about this thing. Also, if anyone has pics taken with this chip please share with me!

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

This certainly is a step forward than the original ToUCam, SPC900NC etc. Since it's using high speed for USB transfer as well as allowing for long exposure, just like the recent industry camera (Image Source, IMG0H, etc.) discussions.

However, note that ICX098BQ is kind of old. The same type-1/4" (tiny imager format) interline progressive CCD is now being replaced by ICX618. You can find several threads on this subforum and Solar System Imaging subforum, with the imager named <something>618<something>.

As a golden rule, when any CCD based imaging device being used in long expsure (typically 2 seconds, some go as high as 10-20 seconds) need cooling.
For that, active-TEC-cooling is the way to go. Forced air cooling is far less effective, depend on your local ambient temperature, etc.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

The cam seems good value, and as advertised, is ok for brighter objects like sun, moon and planets but has limited or zero use on faint deepsky objects. Many current webcams, at lower cost, have a similar performance but need adaption for telescope use. ;)

#4 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

What is this SLAP?

#5 jchaller

jchaller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tenino, WA.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Solar
Lunar
And
Planet
:confused:

#6 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd go with the sammy for the money you want to spend. Samsung makes a coaxial controller, the SPC-300, that you can find on ebay every now and then for under $100. Otherwise, you'd have to disassemble and solder wires to the camera control buttons for USB control. Not a terribly difficult thing to do. Check out the SBC-435 Yahoo group for more details. The 435 is identical to the 2K.

#7 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Solar
Lunar
And
Planet
:confused:

yep you got it!

#8 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

thanks for the tip on ebay. I bought a microsoft lifecam and will experiment with that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics