Photo

Replacement bolt to attach dovetail to mount (CG5)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

My bolt for attaching the dovetail to the CG5 mount got bent. Not the little safety screw, but the bigger bolt with the knob. Anyone know where to get a replacement? I know I could probably get a free one from Celestron, but I already did that once.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Scopestuff.com used to sell an improved version as an upgrade. They probably still do.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Scott,

I have some. I could send you one.

Stan

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

If you got the scratch ADM Saddle adapter for CG5 is wonderful. I have it on both of my CG5's.

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Oooh, that looks nice. Maybe with that I wouldn't need to catch my telescope when it slides off my mount because I didn't get the bolt quite tight enough. Is it easy to install? Just have to make sure you order the right one (Vixex/Losmandy)? For now I will stick with a new bolt. Recently got a new scope so have to keep my astro purchases in check. But this might make a nice Christmas/B-day present later on.

#6 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

I have one of the ADM replacement dovetails. It is the nicest part of the entire mount now.... :p It is indeed easy to install - just two bolts.

In any case the Vixen type is what the existing (stock) dovetail clamp is built for so to use your existing CG5 compatible stuff you want the Vixen or dual Vixen/Losmandy.

#7 pjensen

pjensen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highland Village, Tx

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

If you got the scratch ADM Saddle adapter for CG5 is wonderful. I have it on both of my CG5's.

Got one for my CG5 and it works very well.

It has saved me a couple of times in the dark and cold from screwing up a setup - and dropping the OTA. Lightly rock the OTA side to side as you tighten the clamp - that makes sure it is seated in the slot.

Good product...

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

If you checked with at a dedicated fastener store, not Home Depot, you might get a non-astronomy grade 8 bolt that you could hang a truck from.

#9 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

ACE Hardware have a surprising assortment of many types, including metric stainless steel socket headless setscrews/grubscrews (!!), metric socket capscrews, grade 8 and grade 5 hex head Imperial/US. It is worth a trip to see what they have, for future projects, perhaps to avoid ordering from McMaster-Carr and/or Reid's, etc., when you would like to finish a project today or tomorrow.

ACE, stocked by Hillman, prices are somewhat high, but for onesies and twosies in real time, price is usually not a major factor.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics