Photo

Reputable place to get Chelyabinsk meteorite?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

I want to get a Chelyabinsk meteorite piece for my collection but don't feel comfortable ordering from eBay. Any reputable resellers out there selling these fragments?

#2 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

You can try our very own Glassthrower

#3 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Wait a bit. They will only get cheaper.

/Ira

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

eBay is a minefield. Since I am a vendor, I have to be careful what I say about other vendors. So I will say this - the eBay sellers based in Latvia and Finland are reliable and trustworthy (and they are known to the meteorite community).

As Peter pointed out, I have micromount crumbs. But I do not have any sizeable whole stones.... yet. ;)

As Ira pointed out, this is a big fall, and there is going to be plenty of specimens to go around for science and collectors. However, for collectors, the earliest recoveries will be the most desirable because they are will be the freshest. Already we are seeing oxidization on the most recent offerings - a light peppering of orange on the otherwise pristine black crust. After the spring thaws melt all of the snow, many more stones will be found, and they will be oxidized further. The overall price will drop considerably, especially for the later recoveries. But these earlier pieces that are pristine with solid provenance are always going to be a little more desirable from a collector's standpoint. :)

It's a great historic once in a lifetime fall, and we are lucky to be a part of it. :)

#5 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'd say that EBAY is as safe as most other places, if one knows what he's doing. They have a buyer protection policy. If you do not get the item, or you get a wrong item, they will make sure you'd get your money back.

About dropping prices... I am watching a few auctions, and today I saw a stone that weights .65 grams http://www.ebay.com/...&_trksid=p39... The current bid is 129.49, and I cannot understand why. Am I missing something with this stone? OK it has roll-over lips, but still... Thanks.
Glassthrower, what is your EBAY user name and what is your web site, if I may ask please? Thanks.

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi Oblako,

I don't sell on eBay, but I do have a website - www.galactic-stone.com

About the auction you linked, the size of the sample being offered is less than a gram. I can't explain the wild bidding either. eBay is a fickle mistress.

#7 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thank you, Michael.
Could you please tell me, if you have an exposed chondrule in any of your Chelyabinsk pieces?

Thanks.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Since Mike is a Vendor; discussing business on the regular forums is not allowed. Please contact him in private. :)

#9 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Since Mike is a Vendor; discussing business on the regular forums is not allowed. Please contact him in private. :)

Hi Carol,

What business? I simply wanted to ask Mike to take an image of Chelyabinsk's chondrule, and to post it here.
Cheers.

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sorry, your post wasn't clear about a photo. :)

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I haven't seen any chondrules on or inside the specimens I have examined first hand. But that has only been two small stones and several grams of smaller fragments. I didn't see any loose chondrules or exposed chondrules. Just lots of black crust chips, grey fine grained matrix material, metal flecks, and some brecciation or shock-veining. I've seen a photo of a slice that had a big chondrule showing, but I don't recall where I saw the photo. It might have been a Russian media report.

Best regards,

MikeG

#12 DanWray

DanWray

Lift Off

• Loc: Denver, CO, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

I highly recommend this dealer. http://www.cometshopnew.com/
They sell on Ebay and from their site. I just purchased a 7.5 gram Chelyabinsk from them at the Denver show Friday. I have known them for a number of years and purchased numerous meteorites and impactites from them.
COMETS (Colorado Meteorite Society)

#13 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I recommend EBAY seller .a. I purchased a meteorite from him, and it came directly from Chelyabinsk. It is much more fun to get them from Chelyabinsk. It arrived much faster than I expected, took only two and a half weeks to get to US.
Here's my 7.70 gram Chelyabinsk
http://farm9.staticf...312f65e4c_k.jpg

I asked Dr. Alan Rubin about that yellow thing with red lines in the upper right corner of the upper image. Here's his response:
"I suspect it is a large chondrule exposed at the surface. LL chondrites have large chondrules and in some cases, such chondrules do protrude. The red lines may be fusion crust that penetrated the chondrule. Alternatively, they could be fractures in the chondrule that were quickly altered or oxidized producing some minor hematite. Without actually looking at the specimen, or analyzing it, I cannot be sure, but these are my guesses. "

#14 jbtaylor

jbtaylor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Nice specimen!

#15 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thank you!

#16 rfinney

rfinney

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Great photo - super interesting chondrule...

Thanks!

- RF

#17 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Very gorgeous stone. Nice score. That is a wicked exposed chondrule. It probably came very close to ablating away and leaving behind a pit. That stone is definitely a keeper.

#18 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Tank you RF and Michael!

#19 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

You can try our very own Glassthrower