Zoom Binoviewer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

With a C5, C8 and a C11 I acquired a Baader Maxbright Binoviewer then assembled pairs of 32, 28, 25 and 20mm eyepieces....but what do about less than 20mm?

I also own a Baader 8-24 Zoom and a 17mm Hyperion but was reluctant to match either one as IMO they are both too big and heavy to comfortably squeeze a large aquiline protuberance between...and they're not inexpensive.

After searching through many CN posts and reviews I found a highly regarded Proxima 8-24 Zoom on ebay for $60 and a second @ Astromart still new and unused for $90.

Together, they're smaller and less expensive than the alternatives and I'm quite pleased with the optics so I'd grade them as VG very good.

Most binoviewing is done in the 20-32mm range but on a good clear night with a 3400mm focal length telescope, 200+ magnification is nice to have available in your quiver.

I'd very much like to hear your opinion on binos with zoom eyepieces.
DG

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Douglas

The Baader Zooms work very well with almost any binoviewers particularly the Maxbrights. I have used the extensively and although heavy, are quite convenient as you end up with effectively four eyepieces at your disposal just by rotating them and they are almost par focal.
Make sure you have changed the eyeguards for the smaller ones that come with the zooms and you should have no problem squeezing them together with room for your nose in the middle! :D
Enjoy!
Roberto

#3 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Glad hear the Baader works well for you, they are the best.

On principle, an optics path that costs $800+ with a 23mm CA Bino, a Diagonal and 2 Zoom eyepieces is a little rich for me.

Eddgie had also expressed his experience with the Hyperions as rather undistinguished and I find them a bit too soft for planetary detail.

Baader is #1 but I believe the Proxima may the best price/performance alternative to a budget minded retiree like me who waited years for his ship to come in but ended up with Captain Jack's dinghy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics