ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

Posted Image
New Baader Classic Orthos 6, 10, 18mm & 32mm Plossl

Posted Image
BCO & BGO 6mm's

Click here for blog post review. Thanks.

Best,

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Great review Hernando

#3 leonard

leonard

Viking 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

:waytogo:

Thank You , Leonard

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Always a pleasure to read your reviews Hernando ! :waytogo:

I'm a wide field / long eye relief person myself, but after reading your review, I wouldn't mind trying out an Ortho sometime! I have been dead-set against them, but if the views deliver, I guess that is all that matters.

Cheers,

#5 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Great review Hernando

Thanks Helder.

Best,

#6 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

:waytogo:

Thank You , Leonard

Thanks too.

Best,

#7 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Always a pleasure to read your reviews Hernando ! :waytogo:

Thanks Mark!

I'm a wide field / long eye relief person myself, but after reading your review, I wouldn't mind trying out an Ortho sometime! I have been dead-set against them, but if the views deliver, I guess that is all that matters.

Mark I know you've tried a lot of eyepieces, been following your ever-changing parade of EP's and a joy to read your reviews as well. Yes you should give the BCO's a spin one of these days, there's nothing like trying out a new line of EP's as you may very well know. Thanks!

Best,

#8 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Great review Hernando. How far does the barlow extend into the eyepiece? Will it thread on other 1.25" eyepieces as well? Or does it have special threads?

Dave

#9 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Very interesting to read your views on these Hernando.

I was loaned a set a couple of months back and I'd agree with your assessment of them. I do find the 6mm BGO controls light scatter a little better than the BCO 6mm and the BCO 18mm seems to have slightly better light transmission than the BGO equivalent. The 32mm Classic Plossl is a decent 32mm plossl but not a great one, in my opinion. The Q-Turret barlow is really good although the optical element can't be used in eyepieces with a lower lens set in their barrels - you need around 13mm clear inside the eyepiece barrel to fit the Q-Turret optical element.

Thanks for posting the link :)

#10 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hernando, Thanks for your time and effort with this review. The photos were informative. I was curious about how they would look "dewinged".

#11 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

nice review. i look forward to hearing a long tern review, like month or two post purchase. Enough time to get an above average seeing night that might show one line definitively better.

i read your blog regularly also btw

#12 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

Great review Hernando. How far does the barlow extend into the eyepiece? Will it thread on other 1.25" eyepieces as well? Or does it have special threads?

Thanks Dave. Here are the measurements on the Q-barlow cell. 10mm for the snout & 3mm for the standard 1-1/4" thread, like what John said, 13mm clearance is needed on the 1-1/4" EP sleeve.

Posted Image

The threading is standard for 1-1/4" EP's and I've just tried it on TV 20mm plossl, BGO 7mm, Faworski 7mm (needs some squiggling to get inside), Celestron 7mm volcano top ortho, Celestron 20mm/32mm plossl etc. However, it will not work without the 13mm clearance such as on the Meade UWA 6.7mm (only 6mm clearance):

Posted Image

In which case the barlow body needs to be employed (Same case with an 82ES14mm mushroom type) .

Posted Image

Works great this way on the Meade 6.7mm. This is a short barlow and may vignette on longer focal length EP's.

Best,

#13 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Very interesting to read your views on these Hernando.

I was loaned a set a couple of months back and I'd agree with your assessment of them. I do find the 6mm BGO controls light scatter a little better than the BCO 6mm and the BCO 18mm seems to have slightly better light transmission than the BGO equivalent. The 32mm Classic Plossl is a decent 32mm plossl but not a great one, in my opinion. The Q-Turret barlow is really good although the optical element can't be used in eyepieces with a lower lens set in their barrels - you need around 13mm clear inside the eyepiece barrel to fit the Q-Turret optical element.

Thanks for posting the link :)

Thanks John, and thanks too for the additional insights on the BCO/BGO 6/18/32mm's. You're right, the barlow element cell needs 13mm clearance for threading onto the EP's 1-1/4" filter thread.

Best,

#14 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hernando, Thanks for your time and effort with this review. The photos were informative. I was curious about how they would look "dewinged".

Thanks too Craig. The dewinged BCO looks pleasantly good to my eye.

Best,

#15 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

nice review. i look forward to hearing a long tern review, like month or two post purchase. Enough time to get an above average seeing night that might show one line definitively better.

i read your blog regularly also btw

Thanks, and you're right, more sky time with the EP's will make for a better judgement on how they fare in comparison with other EP's; yes, will update the blog post as time passes by when more tests are made possible, weather-permitting.

Thanks too for regularly visiting the blog.

Best,

#16 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Very nice review, Hernando!

I haven't tried the BCO's but do have a Q-Turret + Q-Barlow that I use with my Brandon set and the combination is fantastic and is even light-weight enough to use on my vintage refractors. I really like that the turrent is a straight thru design rather than a mirror or prism design, and the integral barlow is awesome. With a set of 1.25" parfocal eyepieces, the combination cannot be beat for convenience.

#17 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hernando,

Thanks for the photos and explanation on the barlow.

Dave

#18 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Very nice review, Hernando!

I haven't tried the BCO's but do have a Q-Turret + Q-Barlow that I use with my Brandon set and the combination is fantastic and is even light-weight enough to use on my vintage refractors. I really like that the turrent is a straight thru design rather than a mirror or prism design, and the integral barlow is awesome. With a set of 1.25" parfocal eyepieces, the combination cannot be beat for convenience.

Thanks Brandon!

Your observations about the Q-Turret + Q-Barlow is true. The optical quality of the barlow is very good, and although I have yet to make more tests on it, the impression is that its performance is at least at par with my TV 2x/3x barlows. The turret as you say gets an A for convenience for me too, similar in a way to using a zoom.

Best,

#19 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hernando,

Thanks for the photos and explanation on the barlow.

Dave

You're welcome Dave.

Best,

#20 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Great review Hernando!

#21 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

I'm very happy with mine 6mm & 10mm. The turret is great in my Dob, my tube had been cut down already so I have no problems coming to focus.
The 10mm is my fav. Eye relief is pretty comfortable & must be close to 8mm or so, the 6 is pretty tight, prob 3mm or so, virtually on the eye lens
I like the winged eyecups but on the turret they can be in the way a little
I had a baader 2.25x Barlow (the one paired with the zoom-optics should be the same) but sold it as I just wasn't using it enough

#22 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Great review Hernando!

Thanks Denis!

Best,

#23 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm very happy with mine 6mm & 10mm. The turret is great in my Dob, my tube had been cut down already so I have no problems coming to focus.
The 10mm is my fav. Eye relief is pretty comfortable & must be close to 8mm or so, the 6 is pretty tight, prob 3mm or so, virtually on the eye lens
I like the winged eyecups but on the turret they can be in the way a little
I had a baader 2.25x Barlow (the one paired with the zoom-optics should be the same) but sold it as I just wasn't using it enough

Yes, the turret is good and the BCO 10mm is very nice, I like it a lot on the 8" SCT. As for the barlows, although they have the same 2.25x power, their design is very different. What I like about the zoom barlow is its very compact size, so it's not going anywhere.

Best,

#24 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Hernando.
I have 4 BGOs so I consider just getting the turret (and the barlow perhaps, although I don't need another barlow but I want it to be used with my WO66 and, as you say, I need it to focus there). Is it possible to use my ES68 24 as a finder instead of the Plossl 32 (I only have a Plossl 25 and I'd prefer the ES68).

Also, I wonder if I should get the Q Barlow or the Zoom Barlow (double the price here). What are the differences? The zoom Barlow delivers 1.3 when threaded on the turret too?

#25 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Hernando.
I have 4 BGOs so I consider just getting the turret (and the barlow perhaps, although I don't need another barlow but I want it, to be used with my WO66 and, as you say, I need it to focus there). Is it possible to use my ES68 24 as a finder instead of the Plossl 32 (I only have a Plossl 25 and I'd prefer the ES68).

Also, I wonder if I should get the Q Barlow or the Zoom Barlow (double the price here). What are the differences? The zoom Barlow delivers 1.3 when threaded on the turret too?

Kkokkolis, your ES68 24mm as a finder would show a wider field than the Plossl 32 as I've compared the two on the WO66 scope, although mine is the Meade SWA24 5K series which is optically like your ES68 24mm, shown below:

Posted Image
Baader Classic 32mm Plossl, Meade SWA 24mm 5K

Compared the two by pointing the WO66 at a building and counted 8 panels covered by the 24mm vs 7 panels only on the 32mm.

With regards to the two Baader barlows, here's a side-by-side:

Posted Image
Left: Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow 2.25x; Right: Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x

When threaded on the turret, the Q-barlow provides a 2.25x power to the EP's on the turret.

Posted Image
Baader Q-Turret dish with the Q-barlow cell/element

It yields a 1.3x power when threaded onto the filter thread of 1-1/4" EP's. For example, it converts the BCO 6mm into a 4.6mm as shown below:

Posted Image
BCO 6mm with Q-barlow element/cell equivalent to 4.6mm

But you need a 13mm clearance inside the 1-1/4" sleeve to accommodate the entire barlow cell. On the other hand, the zoom barlow is threaded with the body outside the EP as shown below:

Posted Image
Baader Hyperion Zoom 2.25x barlow on Meade SWA 16mm & Celestron 32mm plossl

In which case there is no inner clearance required. But I've found out that the zoom barlow can also work like the Q barlow by removing the 1-1/4" adapter:

Posted Image
BCO 6mm with zoom barlow cell installed

And yield roughly 2x power with the same inner clearance requirement as the Q barlow.

When used in conjunction with the turret, the zoom barlow can be connected 2 ways:

Posted Image
Zoom barlow on turret - roughly 3x

Or

Posted Image
Zoom barlow on turret w/out its 1-1/4" adapter - roughly 2x

The zoom barlow offers more possibilities/permutations and is less prone to vignetting than the Q barlow which is probably more suited for barlowing shorter focal length EP's owing to its being a short barlow. The zoom barlow also has filter threads available when installed while there's none on the Q barlow. But the zoom barlow cannot be used as a conventional barlow like the Q barlow.

Finally, the Q-Turret came into focus on the finicky WO66 scope with the barlow element because I was using a low-profile custom adapter on its 2" OPT dielectric diagonal (it won't focus without the low-profile adapter). Not sure if it will work when using a different diagonal.

I hope these info will be useful for you to make decisions.

Best,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics