Serious cord wrap on AZ EQ6

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

I had another occurrence of power cord wrap on my AZ EQ6 last night when using Az Mode. I don't understand why the mount is no longer adjusting for it. There is no setting that I could find in the hand controller that turns it on or off. I have firmware v3.32. Any suggestions?

JohnD

#2 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

You could try to upgrade to firmware 3.34 , SW seems to recommend that for azeq6 ...I hope it helps

#3 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

No there is no on off setting for cord wrap.

I also had a few wrap problems in altaz......mostly though she was fine...so i have learned to keep a watch out and use a long enough power cord

#4 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Mike. I will give it a try.

#5 Skrenlin

Skrenlin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Chicagoland area

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I know for a fact there doesn't appear to be anti-cordwrap in v3.34. That's the version of firmware I have installed, and my AZ/EQG will happily wrap its cord up (so far always counterclockwise) around itself on consecutive GOTOs.

#6 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Hi Skrenlin,

I looked at the Release Notes for v3.34 and it had no mention of fixing a cordwrap issue so as you said that would not help. I was getting cordwrap in a clockwise direction as that was the direction of the objects I was choosing. I went from an object in the southwestern part of the sky to one in the north and slightly east of the meridian. It continued clockwise instead of rotating counter-clockwise to it. I guess you would have to chose your objects wisely so you don't get a wrap.

JohnD

#7 Skrenlin

Skrenlin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Chicagoland area

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

My first light with the AZ/EQG was at an outreach event. I'd been viewing the moon, then switched to Jupiter as soon as it was visible in the twilight. Once sirius and I *think* it was aldeberan were visible, I did an alignment, plugged in the coords for the panstarrs comet and let people look at that until it vanished into a tree. The mount picked the shortest direction for each of these moves. After the comet vanished, I popped back to Jupiter. Once it got darker, and no public around for the moment, I decided to see if the blue snowball was visible under the library lights. Found it in the tour menu, hit GOTO and watched as the mount turned counterclockwise some 200+ degrees travel from Jupiter. Couldn't see anything at all in the eyepiece, was worried about the cordwrap (now 3/4ths of the way around the mount) so told it to go back to Jupiter. Which it did, continuing counterclockwise. I grabbed the battery and ran around the mount, Chinese firedrill style, until the cords were completely unwrapped. From there I kept my targets around Jupiter the rest of the event.

#8 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

I found the limits to be annoying, so I deleted them all. Perhaps this thing needs limits enabled to avoid cord wrap?

#9 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

It sounds like someone forgot about the cord wrap issue that Alt/AZ mounts have when they converted the EQ6 GEM to the AZEQ6. Oops! :crazy: I would hope that this is being worked on in the firmware as we speak.

#10 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

It sounds like someone forgot about the cord wrap issue that Alt/AZ mounts have when they converted the EQ6 GEM to the AZEQ6. Oops! :crazy: I would hope that this is being worked on in the firmware as we speak.

I certainly hope so before I rip the power cord apart.

JohnD

#11 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Is it pssible to contact skywatcher and point out this flaw?

#12 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Is it pssible to contact skywatcher and point out this flaw?

I certainly would, or contact Orion if you have their version.

#13 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

John,

I contacted Brian Dernesch of KW Telescopes from where I obtained my SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 about the cord wrap issue. Here is what he told me:

"When I spoke to SkyWatcher regarding cord wrap- whether or not it occurs or has been looked into- at first I got an ambiguous answer, and then a reply that they are going to fix it! Won't take them long and I will keep you as updated as is possible."

So it looks like SkyWatcher is working on a solution to the cord wrap issue.

Jack Huerkamp

#14 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Jask for giving hope

#15 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Jack for giving hope

#16 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Jack,

Between the cord wraps and the initial problem I had with the All-Star Polar Alignment causing the scope to run into the mount, I am surprised it is still working.

JohnD

#17 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

I ran a test in AZ Mode to get some info on the cord-wrap problem to forward to my dealer. Started 2-star alignment with Arcturus (Az=256 degrees) by manually moving in clockwise direction. Selected 2nd alignment star as Vega (Az=65 degrees). Mount slewed clockwise to Vega. Finally I chose Saturn (Az=228 degrees) as my first object. The mount again slewed clockwise to Saturn. At that point the mount had rotated clockwise about 550 degrees and the cords had wrapped around pretty good. In fact the power cord got embedded in a slot under the RA setting circle and was not easy to free. I had a lot of slack in the cords but the power cord got caught up by the Alt adjuster as the mount rotated so it helped to lift the cord up into the slot. I hope Synta can fix this problem before something breaks.

JohnD

#18 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

It is a flaw in the software.

Come on synta get it fixed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics