Eye cup for sterling plossl

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pineknotpineknot

pineknotpineknot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone know if there is an eyecup or eye cup or eye gaurd that can be purchased for the sterling plossl 20mm eyepiece that will effectively back my eye away from the lense so that my eyelashes don't smudge the lense? I tested this eyepiece against a televue plossl and it was almost as good optically, but what good is an eyepiece if the image gets degraded by eyelash oil. I know that edmund optics makes one, but it looks as though it will not be shaped correctly to distance the users eye from the lense. Thanks in advance for any input on this.

#2 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone know if there is an eyecup or eye cup or eye gaurd that can be purchased for the sterling plossl 20mm eyepiece that will effectively back my eye away from the lense so that my eyelashes don't smudge the lense? I tested this eyepiece against a televue plossl and it was almost as good optically, but what good is an eyepiece if the image gets degraded by eyelash oil. I know that edmund optics makes one, but it looks as though it will not be shaped correctly to distance the users eye from the lense. Thanks in advance for any input on this.

The problem you will have is that moving your eye back will not allow you to see the full field. To me this is the one drawback to the Sterling plossls. They provide great views but the eye relief seems tighter than the old Celestron Vixen Silvertop plossls that I own. The 25mm Sterling has plenty of eye relief but the design recesses the lense about 4mm which takes away just enough eye relief that I cannot use it while wearing my glasses.

Dave

#3 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

I learned this trick from Don Pensack, Starman1 on this forum. Just get a bicycle innertube. You cut it to twice the length you need, slip it over the top of the eyepiece, and double it over. You can totally customize the length, and adjust it on-the-fly. And, you can make dozens of eyecups from one inner tube.

Since you don't need the inner tube to hold air, if you ask nicely a bike shop may dig one out of its repair shop trash and let you have it for free. That's what I did and it works great!

I'm even going to use the rubber to replace the eyecups on my old Nikon 7x35s that had cracked off from being folded back and forth.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I learned this trick from Don Pensack, Starman1 on this forum.

Same here! Works quite well.

... and the price is right.
:smirk:

Attached Files

#5 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Another example:

Attached Files

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

For those who don't ride bikes or don't want to dig an old inner tube out of the dumpster behind a bicycle store - a 40mm (1.57") ID eyecup from Agena Astro will fit the Sterling Plossls.

Agena Eyepiece Eye Guard: ID = 1.57" (40mm), Rubber, Black

:grin:
Mike

#7 RogueGazer

RogueGazer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Point Oregon

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I tried this bicycle tube trick with my decloaked Meade 24 82° UWA because the edge is kinda sharp and cold against my nose and I still don't really care for it for a couple reasons. First of all it stinks really bad. I am hoping this goes away with time. Second is it feels kinda mmmmm....sticky I guess is a way to describe it. It doesn't seem to be the same kind of rubber most eye cups are made from or it could just be processed different. I did wash it good but the problems persist. I am giving it some time in hopes the problem go away. This was from a new tube BTW. Any suggestions?

#8 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm... maybe try rubbing some talcum powder on it? Dust it off real good after, before re-installing near glass. That's just a guess.

My eyecups were cut from an older innertube, and i scrubbed it thoroughly with detergent+hot-water. I think i *did* powder it some, iirc... for the reasons you mention.

For those who don't ride bikes or don't want to dig an old inner tube out of the dumpster behind a bicycle store -

Aw, shucks Mike... yer missin' all the fun!
:poke:

#9 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Now that's a great idea! Never thought of it before but I'll sure try it out :grin:

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

I tried this bicycle tube trick with my decloaked Meade 24 82° UWA because the edge is kinda sharp and cold against my nose and I still don't really care for it for a couple reasons. First of all it stinks really bad. I am hoping this goes away with time. Second is it feels kinda mmmmm....sticky I guess is a way to describe it. It doesn't seem to be the same kind of rubber most eye cups are made from or it could just be processed different. I did wash it good but the problems persist. I am giving it some time in hopes the problem go away. This was from a new tube BTW. Any suggestions?

The smell will go away with time. Just leave it out for a while. Different brands of tube have different amounts of butylizing materials in them, and some do smell. A used tube (as suggested) may do better. Try cutting the rubber so it doesn't pull onto the eyepiece barrel quite as far so it isn't right next to your nose when you breathe.

#11 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Edmund eye guards

http://www.cloudynig...96-PICT0221.JPG

#12 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

The problem you will have is that moving your eye back will not allow you to see the full field. To me this is the one drawback to the Sterling plossls. They provide great views but the eye relief seems tighter than the old Celestron Vixen Silvertop plossls that I own. The 25mm Sterling has plenty of eye relief but the design recesses the lense about 4mm which takes away just enough eye relief that I cannot use it while wearing my glasses.

Dave

I have the same experience. slightly recessed and can't wear glasses, but have plenty of bare eye room. surprised there is an issue with just 4mm less focal length.

#13 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eyec1.htm or http://www.buytelesc...eyeguard-125...

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

The Agena eyecups are less expensive ... and better. I've tried both.

Mike

#15 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eyec1.htm or http://www.buytelesc...eyeguard-125...

I tried a pair of thsee ScopeStuff eyecups and they were slightly too large for my Sterling 25s. I may take a gamble on the Agena ones.

#16 pineknotpineknot

pineknotpineknot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Guys,
Hello. This is the first time i've posted a question on cloudynights and I'm a bit taken aback by your incredible willingness to help. Thanks very much to you all. I think i will try the bicycle tube or the agena astro cups. Just to give some feedback to your responses, i will mention that for me personally using the 20 mm sterling with no eye cup and my face touching the eyepiece, the field stop was well into the field of view of my eyeball. In other words, i could back my eye up from the eyepiece some and still see the full field of view of the eyepiece. Judging from this 20mm eyepiece, these sterlings seem to be worth the price. Both my brother and i agreed that the 20mm televue was a little better, but not by much. Thanks again for your responses and Happy viewing!!! ------Pineknot

#17 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

good to know since I haven't ordered yet. thanks for the heads up

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics