•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES 28mm 68 degree

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

That's good news, I have problems with the threads on my Hyperion Zoom in the 2in mode with my Orion 2in filter. The fix I use is the Orion Centering Adapter that has threads for 2in filters.
Tim

#27 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'd splurge in the lower focal lengths on them, tho the BCOs are hardly hardly expensive.

Additionally, I can strongly recommend a good Barlow. I own an old school Orion made in Japan, 4.5" long 1.25". These are no longer sold by Orion, tho there may be others still selling the longer, i.e., non-shorty barlows. I know the TeleVue 2x and 3x barlows are not shorty types. Get one of those to turn your mid-focal lengths into longer eye relief high performance short focal length equivalents. With very good glass (and a good Barlow) this works very well. Absolutely love my Brandon 12mm model barlowed. Don't use it stand alone very often (I have the Nagler T6 11 & 13mm's), but paired with my old school Orion Barlow, planets, the moon, and tight double stars, look out!

Thanks again for the tips. A good barlow is on my list. Currently using the generic that was included as a promotion when I bought my C8 nexstar. I'm leaning towards the TV x2.

Yeah I originally planned to get the 6.7 ES82 next but hanging around the ep forum has made me want to try a "less glass is more" approach. I don't get to truly dark skies often, so I really like observing Saturn and Jupiter. I still remember Mars in 2003. I saw Syrtis Major and the ice caps with only a C8 during a public outreach at the local university.

I'd love to get a 12mm Brandon like yours, along with an 8mm TV plossel. And maybe a 10mm BCO or wait for one of the new UO HD orthos to round things out. Those 3 eyepieces with a good barlow would have me covered for high power observing.

#28 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

If you can find one of these on CN Classifieds, AM, or now the new S&T Classifieds, I'd get it. Excellent for smaller, low weight 1.25" eyepieces. Wouldn't want to put an Ethos on it, but handles TV Plossls, Brandons, orthos without a hitch.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics