• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

That's good news, I have problems with the threads on my Hyperion Zoom in the 2in mode with my Orion 2in filter. The fix I use is the Orion Centering Adapter that has threads for 2in filters.
Tim

#27 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'd splurge in the lower focal lengths on them, tho the BCOs are hardly hardly expensive.

Additionally, I can strongly recommend a good Barlow. I own an old school Orion made in Japan, 4.5" long 1.25". These are no longer sold by Orion, tho there may be others still selling the longer, i.e., non-shorty barlows. I know the TeleVue 2x and 3x barlows are not shorty types. Get one of those to turn your mid-focal lengths into longer eye relief high performance short focal length equivalents. With very good glass (and a good Barlow) this works very well. Absolutely love my Brandon 12mm model barlowed. Don't use it stand alone very often (I have the Nagler T6 11 & 13mm's), but paired with my old school Orion Barlow, planets, the moon, and tight double stars, look out!

Thanks again for the tips. A good barlow is on my list. Currently using the generic that was included as a promotion when I bought my C8 nexstar. I'm leaning towards the TV x2.

Yeah I originally planned to get the 6.7 ES82 next but hanging around the ep forum has made me want to try a "less glass is more" approach. I don't get to truly dark skies often, so I really like observing Saturn and Jupiter. I still remember Mars in 2003. I saw Syrtis Major and the ice caps with only a C8 during a public outreach at the local university.

I'd love to get a 12mm Brandon like yours, along with an 8mm TV plossel. And maybe a 10mm BCO or wait for one of the new UO HD orthos to round things out. Those 3 eyepieces with a good barlow would have me covered for high power observing.

#28 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

If you can find one of these on CN Classifieds, AM, or now the new S&T Classifieds, I'd get it. Excellent for smaller, low weight 1.25" eyepieces. Wouldn't want to put an Ethos on it, but handles TV Plossls, Brandons, orthos without a hitch.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics