Two-way RS232 to wireless?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

My Paramount communicates with the host PC via RS-232 cable. I'm about to move it into my new observatory, and would like to be able to avoid as many cables between the mount and computer room as possible. Is there such a thing as being able to go from RS232 to wireless and back? The range is only about 10 feet. If so, do you have recommendations for the best make/model?

Can I do the same with standard and HDTV signals?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

#2 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Mike

I designed and built this RS232 Bluetooth wireless device to drive my Losmandy G11 Gemini 1. I used it all the time and wouldn't be without it.

It will run any RS232 device up to 115kpbs baud although I use rates like 38kbps just fine.

Range is a little limited indoors depends on walls & doors. Outdoors...around 12~16m max. But it's cheap and works well.

There are more powerful BT RS232 devices and devices that use other wavelengths wireless but they usually cost a bit.

Good luck, Brendan

edit: if you do build one then watch your Rxd & Txd lines (in fact all connections) where they go to as they are different from OEM to OEM.

Sorry HDTV...you mean HDMI?...there are wireless repeater devices for these available from TV shops but I personally haven't used any.

#3 KevinS

KevinS

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

I used one of these for that purpose.
http://serialio.com/...i/WiSnapAAA.php
It was not easy to set up. But it works and was cheap.
Since it's wifi you can link to it through a wireless router for more distance.

#4 StarDusty

StarDusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Parsippany, NJ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I just bought a serial to bluetooth pair here:

http://www.usconverters.com/

Their prices are about the best I found.

#5 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

YES! I found the same place last night after posting here, and ordered the following:

Serial Bluetooth Adapter, Part: UCBT232B, $45.00
Power Supply 5VDC Mini USB, Part: PWR5Mini, $9.50
USB Bluetooth Dongle 300 FT, Part: BLDONG2, $14.95

I didn't want to have to remember batteries so I got the 5VDC supply.

Everything should come in before the end of the week. I'll hook it up this weekend and report back with a review and pictures.

Thanks!
Mike

#6 StarDusty

StarDusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Parsippany, NJ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

The UCBT232B has a few factory set defaults including baud rate, stop bits, etc. I think the factory baud rate was 19,200. My homemade DSC's operates at 9600, so I needed to configure the UCBT232B to run at 9600 too.

Following the instructions provided, I connected the UCBT232B to my desktop via a USB to serial converter I already had.

I used a copy of Realterm I downloaded and reset the UCBT232B to operate at 9600 using the instruction set provided with the UCBT232B. [Realterm is software that allows you to communicate via your com ports directly.]

This took a few tries, but I finally figured it out. The UCBT232B remembers, so once configured it does not need to be reconfigured even if powered down.

I have to admit that my serial port skills are a little rusty and relearning how to run Realterm took more that a few minutes to master again.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics