New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

:cool: Fun items at both marspans and moonpans! The lunar wrap-around wall papers are enticing. Wish they had Mars vistas wall papers (vinyl for the observatory).

#27 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well, I guess S&T doesn't keep me apprised of these things, go figure! I sort of liked the coloration of the first edition better.

First thing Monday morning, I'm calling S&T and if it's possible to order (or pre-order) the Mars Topo globe, I'm plunking my hard-earned shekels on the spot!

One thing the earlier Mars globe in the lighter tones has going for it is the features are easier to distinguish. I also like the sort of antique-globe look it has...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet. :grin:

I checked the S&T shop website again, but no mention yet of the Mars Topo globe...I'd have my order or pre-order in right now, too, if it was possible! :grin:

#28 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet.

Maya,

That's a little bone I have to pick: I've looked at Mars for many, many hours over the years, and the color of the globe is *NOT* the same as the color of the planet. I realize it matches the colors on the adjusted rover images that are released by NASA; but it doesn't really look like that. I'd like a globe that actually looks like Mars. (I'm not crying "conspiracy" here, just stating a fact. I sort of think they're not color-adjusting those images properly.)

PS: Nice observatory warm room. But I don't see a National Geographic Mars map on the wall! It's not a proper observatory without one of those. (The 1973 one.)

#29 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

the photographic Mars globe was produced before my time at S&T. I agree, it's much more yellow/orange than the brown depicted.

#30 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yeah; the real planet has a much mellower coloring than the globe. Eh! Maybe in the 4th edition?

The Topo globe isn't available yet, as of this morning. :bawling:

#31 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet.

Maya,

That's a little bone I have to pick: I've looked at Mars for many, many hours over the years, and the color of the globe is *NOT* the same as the color of the planet. I realize it matches the colors on the adjusted rover images that are released by NASA; but it doesn't really look like that. I'd like a globe that actually looks like Mars. (I'm not crying "conspiracy" here, just stating a fact. I sort of think they're not color-adjusting those images properly.)

PS: Nice observatory warm room. But I don't see a National Geographic Mars map on the wall! It's not a proper observatory without one of those. (The 1973 one.)

Rick, I haven't had that many good opportunities over the years to observe Mars. The last one when I was able to get some chances to sketch it was in 1988 (lived in NC at that time) when Mars was 23.68" dia. and I was using a Meade 10" f/10 SCT. As you can see by my sketch, I saw very light colors. Kind of a pale peach color mostly. I sure can't claim to know what the actual colors of the planet are from my observations! :shrug: :lol: From my observations I'd have to go with the old Mars globe's colors, but maybe with the features a bit lighter in color... :p

That's a corner of the warm room and the walls are taken up with tall cabinets all around so I don't have the wall space to put up a Mars map -- and I don't have the Nat'l Geo Mars map. :bawling:

Well, anyway, where's that Mars Topo globe?!!! I want to order mine! :grin:

Attached Files

#32 swalker

swalker

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Patience, I'll let you know when topo-mars is in.

#33 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Rick, I haven't had that many good opportunities over the years to observe Mars.

Wow! Well, you sure make the most of the opportunities you do get! That's a great sketch. I just looked at my sketches from that time, and they weren't a fraction that good!

#34 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, Sean! :grin:

Rick -- Thanks! I spent long sessions and really enjoyed sketching, I think it helps me see more. As much as I complained about the high humidity and temps while in NC, it may have actually helped with the seeing at times. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able to observe and sketch Mars with the refractors, C-8, and try it with the 10" DOB for comparisons. :grin: I'm wondering if the colors will be deeper with the refractors...

#35 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Patience??! GAHHH!!! :twitch:

#36 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Still not available, as of a few minutes ago.

#37 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

:4 This waiting for the Mars Topo is tough...but will be worth it! :grin:

#38 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Remember what Tom Petty said: "The waiting is the hardest part."

My Mars globe is the old 16-inch version. Late 80's if I recall.

I still think the four-rocky planets to-scale would be great for a teaching model. Better than my polystyrene painted models.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#39 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Waiting is the hardest part! :bawling: Ol' Tom was certainly right about that! :lol:

My Mars globe is the old 16-inch version. Late 80's if I recall.

Wow, that's cool!!
I agree that the 4 rocks would be great as a scaled collection.

#40 swalker

swalker

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

That's nice, but I really don't see that ever happening, particularly by us. Globes come in certain sizes only because of the tooling or "molds" used to press-fit them. Creating four unique sizes for mass production would be prohibitively expensive. After all, who would want to pay $500 or more for a chipboard ball with printing on it?

#41 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Reality can be soooo cruel! :bawling: Oh well, maybe eventually there will be a regular-size Mercury globe at least. :)

#42 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's nice, but I really don't see that ever happening, particularly by us. Globes come in certain sizes only because of the tooling or "molds" used to press-fit them. Creating four unique sizes for mass production would be prohibitively expensive. After all, who would want to pay $500 or more for a chipboard ball with printing on it?

While I agree it probably wouldn't be very profitable, there are several globe sizes already available; wouldn't it be fairly simple just to get the dies and stamp out a few? Or is there a lot of work involved that I'm not understanding? Even a single size (6"?), to cover the Magificent Seven (Luna, Titan, Triton, & the Galilean moons)? With the regular 12" globes for the planets (plus the two 12" ones for the Moon). You could have a regular menagerie!

Last I heard (months ago), the Mercury globe was tentatively set for summer. Is that still the plan?

#43 swalker

swalker

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

I was responding to the comments on scale model globes. While there are different sizes for globes, scaling them to be readable is another matter entirely. One doesn't just shrink a globe, the text needs to be readable still, yet not terribly intrusive.

The Mercury globe will probably be later, since we have not received the global map converted into the "daisy" hemispheres yet. Then once we do receive it, we have to label it, which is a bit of a moving target currently (many new names are approved each month for Mercury features).

#44 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Attention:
I just placed my order for the Mars Topo globe about 15 minutes ago.

#45 swalker

swalker

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

wow, that's quite a feat. I don't see it on our online store yet.

#46 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

wow, that's quite a feat. I don't see it on our online store yet.

The lady on the Customer Service line found it. I think it was item TPMARGL. When I asked her to verify that it wasn't the Moon topo globe, she tried to find it by item number, and couldn't; but then she went back in by whatever way she used first, and found it fine - good enough to place the order, anyway. I know it's not the regular Mars globe, because it was $109.95 instead of $99.95; and besides, she did double check, and the description definitely said "Mars Topographic".

Whether it's just the web site in the process of update in preparation, or if it's actually being shipped right away, remains to be seen. I hope it's the latter!

#47 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :whee:

Thanks for the heads up, Rick!!! :grin:

PS -- I was told that it should arrive in 10 bus. days ... and I should be getting my new Moon (photographic) globe soon too! :grin: :whee:

#48 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Mine arrived this afternoon! :whee: It is really gorgeous and the colors are intense. Curiosity's landing spot as well as the other rovers' are plotted. Here's a pic of it and the 3rd edition 2011 regular Mars globe.... :grin:

Attached Files

#49 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

and here's the others I've recently added... :grin:

Attached Files

#50 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Mine came while I was out camping in the mountains last week. I just picked up my mail, and wow! This globe is superb, perfect in every way! And, I see they've changed the packing arrangement so that the globe won't have holes poked in it by the base.

Thanks, guys! This was definitely worth waiting for.

Maya, where's your Earth globe? (Ahh, never mind; who cares about that!)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics