Northwest Unknown Star Party July 4 - 7 2013

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey gang. We have a new moon in the summer over the Independence Day weekend July 4 - 7.

We simply cannot let this opportunity go by without organizing a star party of some sort.

Once again Table and OSP are on the same weekend. Any ideas? Maybe a second Goldendale? Most public vacation spots will be very busy. Anybody with a chunk of land in a dark area wanna turn it over to a bunch of astronomer/campers?

Stacy

#2 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hurricane Ridge or Mount St. Hellen's or maybe somewhere on Rainier might also be a possibility.

#3 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Just ask Mike and organize one for July...I did a July and August last year...I will more than likely organize an August star party at Goldendale this year.

#4 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Yes, Mike's usually up for a Star Party lol!

As great as Goldendale is, are there any other options for July you think?

I guess anything planned for the western side of the mountains would require a contingency plan for weather, but it would sure be nice to head up to the mountains somewhere.

#5 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Mt. St. Helens would be good, but it's usually only a one day affair. If I remember, there was/is a group from Vancouver(?) that hold an event up there...can't recall the details at the moment. Tom has done it I think.

#6 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

The Mt. St. Helens Institute has been holding a little star party up there - usually in August. I don't think they did it in 2012 - at least I never saw a notice and I've always got them before.

What about Hart's Pass for July 4th?

#7 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm game! Is there a clearing? Looks like a few trees around.

Hart's Pass Campground

#8 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hart's Pass Campground

A guy could always go above the tree line :lol:

Attached Files

#9 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

A guy could always go above the tree line :lol:

Sweet!

#10 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hart's Pass Campground

Meadows Campground - just a stones throw from there has great views. The Forest Service has even poured an observing pad atop a hill in the campground.

Here's the pad.

The trees around is are just trunks. The area burned badly 10 years ago.

#11 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

A guy could always go above the tree line

Show off... :grin:

#12 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

So..... The road is in good condition, just narrow?

#13 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

So..... The road is in good condition, just narrow?

(in the voice of "Pa Kettle") well now, I wouldn't say that....

#14 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Stacy, I'm sure you could sail your yacht up/down there with no problem until, of course, you meet someone going the other direction. At that point, after changing his underwear, the other guy would have to back waaaay up to let you by. Hmmmmm, on second thought it would be a serious challenge. I think there's a reason no trailers are allowed on the road.

I like Hurricane Ridge a lot. It's a terrific location for astronomy. This weekend I'll be seeing the guy who will then (7/4) be campground host at Heart O' The Hills campground. I'll ask him if it's possible to reserve some camp sites. It very well may not be possible, and over a holiday weekend chances might be sketchy. There are other campgrounds in the area, further away but not too bad; they'd be under some holiday pressure too, but then that'd be true anywhere, I guess. In fact, I might find it worth my bucks to rent a motel room in P.A.

Pixieland would be available.

#15 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Now the road is in fine shape.

JUST DON'T LOOK OVER THE SIDE on the way down. Yeah, it is hard to avoid looking if your on the passenger side.

You can always walk to short stretch of road.

If you live in Washington you should drive that road at least once in your life. It is a very scenic area.

#16 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I've tried to get a picture that does justice to Dead Horse Point and the more I think about it, the more I think this one really captures it in many ways.

Basicly the youngster is looking over the edge, and "moma" is walking away from the edge

Attached Files

#17 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Perfect.

#18 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

I like Hurricane Ridge a lot. It's a terrific location for astronomy. This weekend I'll be seeing the guy who will then (7/4) be campground host at Heart O' The Hills campground. I'll ask him if it's possible to reserve some camp sites. It very well may not be possible, and over a holiday weekend chances might be sketchy. There are other campgrounds in the area, further away but not too bad; they'd be under some holiday pressure too, but then that'd be true anywhere, I guess. In fact, I might find it worth my bucks to rent a motel room in P.A.

Pixieland would be available.

Hmmm... Hey Mike. I wonder if he'd consider letting us "hang out" for a night or two at the Hurricane Ridge Lodge parking lot if we did some outreach? Or would that be a Ranger thing? That parking lot is huge and the outreach possibilities would be fantastic! I'm self contained so could provide a tidy "base" for meals and what-not :grin: for the group.

As a Native Port-Angeles-O-Rican like myself, perhaps he could pull a few strings? Maybe coordinate with Cliff's group? That would be an epic weekend! :jump:

Stacy

#19 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I like Hurricane Ridge a lot. It's a terrific location for astronomy. This weekend I'll be seeing the guy who will then (7/4) be campground host at Heart O' The Hills campground. I'll ask him if it's possible to reserve some camp sites.

OK, here's the word. The bad news is that Heart O' The Hills is officially a non-reservation campground. The good news, however, is that the host can pay for the number of needed campsites, then be reimbursed when we arrive. He's willing to do that and in fact he sounded delighted at the prospect. He mentioned that he could cherry-pick some excellent sites for us. No, that campground has no group camp site but it has some large sites, holding as many as four tents.

I wonder if he'd consider letting us "hang out" for a night or two at the Hurricane Ridge Lodge parking lot if we did some outreach?

I didn't ask about that but I'm sure there would be no problem. I think anyone, astronomer or not, can stay in the parking lot at night, so long as they aren't "camping" there. I'm also sure that outreach would be appreciated. John does outreach nightly during new moon periods, weather permitting, and he'd surely welcome more guys and equipment. The only problem with joining up with his outreach is that he sets up by the day lodge, where he stores his scopes, but we'd prefer to set up at a much better astronomy area about 100 yd. away.

But here's the downside to a long Hurricane Ridge weekend. We couldn't leave our equipment set up during the day. Each day we'd have to go through a total break down, set up, unpack & pack experience. I'm not sure that amount of work appeals to me. I did it there once before (when I got smoked out of OSP a couple of years ago and camped in Minnow at Dungeness Spit) and it gets real old. That said, I'd still be willing to do it.

#20 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

The OAS will be holding a star party at Hurricane Ridge on Saturday night July 6. We go up in the evening and observe all night, sleep in our cars and drive down in the morning, anyone is welcome.

#21 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

The OAS will be holding a star party at Hurricane Ridge on Saturday night July 6. We go up in the evening and observe all night, sleep in our cars and drive down in the morning, anyone is welcome.

. . . and the plot thickens. :thinking:

#22 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yessssss...... Me likes the precious.... Opps, wrong forum!

I am thinking there will be a lot of activity up there over that particular weekend. As will probably be the case with most public sites. That can be great for outreach, but maybe not so great for observing. However, as the wee hours approach, you will probably have some serious observing time.

I can see some serious potential here. Of course there is a lot to be said for setting up at a stable location for a few days and not having your time/energy wasted on setting up and tearing down...

Still open to suggestions :)

#23 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Unless someone is up to MSH or something looks like Hurricane Ridge might be the place. Shudder to contemplate the ferries on FOJ weekend! But nothing good in life comes easy. :)

#24 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I repeat: G/dale is available.

#25 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have the 1st through the 4th off, work on the 5th. I don't really like to be out and about on the 4th weekend anyway. So I'm up in the air, but if someone wants to do something earlier that week, pipe up.

Brad

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics