A letter to Meade about the LX80

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

For anyone interested, I'm seeing if there is enough interest to put together a general complaint letter to Meade about the LX80. Idmlikemtomget at least 20 individuals involved... The more the better.

Rather than just having individuals that own the mount and are unhappy with one area or another, I thought about having 3 groups represtnted.

1. I own the LX80 and am unhappy with it because xx.
2. I owned an LX80 and returned it for a refund because xx.
3. I was going to buy an LX80 and decided to buy a xx because xx.

If you'd like to get involved, PM me with a paragraph or 2 about your specific situation.

If you have name and contact information on anyone high up in the Meade organization, send it to me via PM.

Thanks,

Mike

PS. I sill like the mount for the most part and am not trying to get into Meade bashing here. If we can show Meade that they have a problem that is costing them business maybe we can get some of the areas where specs and real life don't cross addessed.

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm in.

#3 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Mike...

I'll be sending you a PM in awhile. Got to look some things up. Of course, I would be in Cat #2.

I do have the names and emails for the people you need to address this to.

For the record though, I would only be doing this to help others who still have this mount, or are considering purchasing it. Meade knows my situation, and I have spoken to them at length (both in emails and in person) up to and including last Nov at the Tucson Astro show.

I still like my Meade stuff. No regrets there. Its the new stuff that is in question. And on the 8xx series (now the 850), and the 600's, hopefully the re-engineering and re-mfg is going to work out for everyone. I certainly hope so.

I am not too optimictic about the LX80 being re-engineered, or even its mount. But it would be nice.

#4 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

How about #4: I bought an LX80 mount and love it.

It would give us a sense of how many have issues, and, the scope of the issue.

Tony

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

How about #4: I bought an LX80 mount and love it.

It would give us a sense of how many have issues, and, the scope of the issue.

Tony

Tony,

A 4th group does exist! Until my tripod broke I was in that group. I still love the mount but it the tripod Ubreaks again after it is out of warranty (for you or me or any owner) we are out of luck.

I had a thread a few months ago tring to find happy users like myself... Found a few.

As far as the goal of this letter, the 4th group doesn't really fit. Like I said in the original post, I'm not trying to bash Meade just point out the problem(s).

#6 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Mike...

Private Message sent...

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Well, I'd assume Meade knows what they have. I wouldn't expect them to do another run of the things either unless forced to due to contracts, etc.

I pre-ordered and prepaid for one of these units until someone here finally spooked me into bailing out after a 6 or 9 month wait. Whoever that was......I owe you a beer! One look at a photo of the gear train and I knew I'd made the right decision.

I'd fit into group 3 and would help if need be....but I think you are wasting your time, frankly.

Jim

#8 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well, I'd assume Meade knows what they have. I wouldn't expect them to do another run of the things either unless forced to due to contracts, etc.

I pre-ordered and prepaid for one of these units until someone here finally spooked me into bailing out after a 6 or 9 month wait. Whoever that was......I owe you a beer! One look at a photo of the gear train and I knew I'd made the right decision.

I'd fit into group 3 and would help if need be....but I think you are wasting your time, frankly.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, it is probably a waste of time!

#9 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Well, the names are not rolling in. I think, to make any kind of impression, I'd like to have 20 individuals mentioned. So far I've got 5 counting myself. I'll give it a week and se what happens. There are certainly a lot of folks that had considered the mount and went another rout because of the bad press. I'll give the yahoo group a try also.

Thanks,

Mike

#10 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well, the names are not rolling in. I think, to make any kind of impression, I'd like to have 20 individuals mentioned. So far I've got 5 counting myself. I'll give it a week and se what happens. There are certainly a lot of folks that had considered the mount and went another rout because of the bad press. I'll give the yahoo group a try also.

There is no doubt Meade needs a wake up call. You have the right idea but are being a bit restrictive in the scope of your complaint to Meade.

Replace the term LX80 with yy. The yy being any Meade product.

I own an 10" LX200 ACF and can easily afford to upgrade to a larger 600 or 850. Because of problems related to my telescope I will not buy another Meade product unless
I see a change in their attitude toward their customers with problems.

Twenty complaints won't even raise an eyelash. Two hundred might. Make the time you spend on this worthwhile.

I am not a Meade basher, just an unsatisfied customer that believes that if enough people make enough noise Meade will do what is necessary. In the long run everyone except for Meade's competitors will benefit.

#11 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Lorence,

Thanks. The intent here is to address the LX80 in specific. There are other issues with Meade, or most suppliers for that matter, that I did not plan on addressing.

Mike

#12 cliffy54

cliffy54

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Whatever happened to their weekly deals.

#13 schenckf

schenckf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

How can I send you a PM (private message)?

#14 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Cliffy,

I'm new enough I don't even know about the weekly deals.

#15 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

How can I send you a PM (private message)?

If you click my name link at the top left, then look at the bottom left of that window. Or you can email me at mike@dom2.com.

#16 ScottAz

ScottAz

Fleet Navigator

• Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

PM sent. Category 3 .... :thumbsdown:

#17 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I'll announce this on my next episode, Meade users group, twitter, Google+. Give it while longer than a week please.

John

#18 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks John... I'm in no hurry.

Mike

#19 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

There is no doubt Meade needs a wake up call. You have the right idea but are being a bit restrictive in the scope of your complaint to Meade.

Replace the term LX80 with yy. The yy being any Meade product.

I own an 10" LX200 ACF and can easily afford to upgrade to a larger 600 or 850. Because of problems related to my telescope I will not buy another Meade product unless
I see a change in their attitude toward their customers with problems.

Twenty complaints won't even raise an eyelash. Two hundred might. Make the time you spend on this worthwhile.

I am not a Meade basher, just an unsatisfied customer that believes that if enough people make enough noise Meade will do what is necessary. In the long run everyone except for Meade's competitors will benefit.

I'll make a little noise.

I have an LS8 which, after a few weeks, I found to have a problem. I called Meade customer service and, with no fuss or muss, they provided a shipping label and instruction to get it back to them.

Meade turned it around in 14 days, not counting travel time. I got it back today. Everything was repackaged neatly, the necessary work was done and they even cleaned the corrector for me. Looks like new.

I had called a couple times during the two weeks the scope was with Meade and they were polite, professional and informative.

I hadn't bought a Meade telescope in years, I think the last one was an LX 50 a long time ago but my experience with Meade customer service was excellent.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to do business with Meade, but people considering a Meade purchase should be aware that others have had a positive experience with Meade service.

#20 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

jimb1001,

I do agree with you! I just received my replacement tripod and it took about 10 days start to finish. Not too bad for ground shipping to and from Indiana. They paid fo shipping both ways so I have no complaint with the service that Meade provided for the broken part.

With Meade, as with most companies, there are good and bad experiences.

The intent here is not to imply in anyway that Meade is not to be dealt, but to point out the opinion of a number of users that there are problems with this specific product. There were measurable problems with the LX800 when it was released and Meade stepped up and apparently resolved them. If you look at the specs for the LX80, it fails in a number of important area, specifically the weight capacity in both Polar and AltAz configurations and the tracking ability with respect to doing AP.

These short comings don't effect everyone but the specs are miss misleading. The design and failure of the tripod's top plate is something that could effect any user not just those interested in using 30 to 40 pounds of kit and /or doing AP.

To be sure that no one misunderstands my intent: The goal here is ONLY to address issues with the LX80 and try to "coax" a response of some type from Meade.

Mike

#21 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Just an update: After 4 days, I have 15 individuals for the letter.

#22 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'll make a little noise.

I have an LS8 which, after a few weeks, I found to have a problem. I called Meade customer service and, with no fuss or muss, they provided a shipping label and instruction to get it back to them.

Meade turned it around in 14 days, not counting travel time. I got it back today. Everything was repackaged neatly, the necessary work was done and they even cleaned the corrector for me. Looks like new.

I had called a couple times during the two weeks the scope was with Meade and they were polite, professional and informative.

I hadn't bought a Meade telescope in years, I think the last one was an LX 50 a long time ago but my experience with Meade customer service was excellent.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to do business with Meade, but people considering a Meade purchase should be aware that others have had a positive experience with Meade service.

What puzzles me about posts like yours is that you obviously realize some people have issues with Meade. You don't so you jump in to defend Meade.

Do you feel as though you have done your good deed for the day? Has it occurred to you that one day you may be on the other side of the fence. There is a good chance that everyone with a problem with Meade was on your side at one time. Don't be saying it will never happen to me.

Post like yours make me think of someone walking up to a lifeguard and saying "Excuse me sir, I am an expert swimmer and the noise being made by that drowning man is very annoying. Would you please tell him to drown somewhere else". I can see someone from Meade saying "Can't you see all the people out there enjoying themselves. Pay no mind to that man out there. You will spoil everyone's day."

#23 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

What puzzles me about posts like yours is that you obviously realize some people have issues with Meade. You don't so you jump in to defend Meade.

What puzzles me is that some folks think that publishing only one point of view serves the public well. Of course we need to hear about the problems. We need to hear about the non-problems as well - otherwise how can people gauge reliability?

A quick note to the original poster:
Your letter is one letter and will carry the weight of, at most, one letter. When you claim to also speak for others, the recipient is very likely to either (a) doubt that you do speak for others, or (B) decide that since the others didn't feel strongly enough to write for themselves they don't really care and can be discounted. Your message would have more credibility and greater effect if your individual experiences are described.

#24 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

What puzzles me is that some folks think that publishing only one point of view serves the public well. Of course we need to hear about the problems. We need to hear about the non-problems as well - otherwise how can people gauge reliability?

A quick note to the original poster:
Your letter is one letter and will carry the weight of, at most, one letter. When you claim to also speak for others, the recipient is very likely to either (a) doubt that you do speak for others, or (B) decide that since the others didn't feel strongly enough to write for themselves they don't really care and can be discounted. Your message would have more credibility and greater effect if your individual experiences are described.

John,

Both sides need to be heard and until recently I've been on the pro-LX80 side of the fence... still am for the most part. The biggest worry I have is a repeat failure of the top plate of the tripod after it is out of warranty. But, there are other issues with the mount that don't currently effect my use. It is unfortunate that problems are reported more than good point on just about everything. I write software for dental offices and get very few calls or emails about how nice a new feature is, it is problems that get noticed and reported.

Hope you are wrong about the impact of a single letter. Each individual involved will have a paragraph or 2 about their problem or concern and each person will be identified in some way. So it will really be a single document from X number of individuals.

And, a non-related note: Love the looks of your new LX850! Hope you get it set up soon and can report how you are doing.

#25 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

If I would put my AP130GT on LX80, the top plate breaks and I have $$$$ loss, what can I take from Meade ?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics