Saturn 07 April 2013

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

The seeing was average at best, and still a very cold 38 degrees. The data was not good so I attempted my first Winjupos version that turned out decent. I believe the software might have also shrunk the final out put as well.

Thanks,
Mitchell

Attached Files

#2 Az Frank

Az Frank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Still a fine image Mitch, considering your conditions! Well done!

#3 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Mitchell, excellent banding detail. Try re-measuring the B channel with the average ref time of R,G to avoid the edge ringing in WinJupos. Then try an RRGB to try to enhance the details. This seems to work for me and my marginal data, knowing that there's not much detail in B anyway. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Steve

#4 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Mitchell I think your image turned out well for average to slightly below average seeing; after 6 imaging attempts on Saturn since Feb 25 I'm convinced that we Northern Hemisphere observers need above average seeing to capture a head turning Saturn image.

Pete

#5 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Amen Pete and thanks for the pointers Steve :)

#6 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well done Mitch, keep them coming, this is already
a very good image with a lot of banding!

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

A good start Mitchell, especially under the conditions :waytogo: - I'm sure you just need a decent night's seeing to really up the ante.

The "Quadratic size/dimensions" (I think that's the term WinJupos uses - I'm on my little netbook atm and can't check the terminology) which is one of those little boxes on the lower left-hand side of the W/Jupos window where you compile the image etc is adjustable.....and if you noticed some downscaling occurring of the image output it's possible that you had this set to a smaller value.....

#8 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

The quality of the seeing is everything Mitch, good seeing = good images, all other things being equal. I have always been of the opinion that there are still lessons to be learned by imaging in less than great seeing and don't shy away from it. Reckon you have done well with this image considering the conditions.

Regards
Trevor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics