recoating optics

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

i am acquiring a mead lx 6 8" cat from the 2060 genre and was thinking of having optics wave labs recoat the optics. my question is, out of the different types of coatings, which would be best for both deep sky and planetary viewing and, maybe down the line a bit, some AP. they have several different options from standard aluminum,semi enhanced (semi?), enhanced aluminum, silver (it doesn't mention anything about enhancing silver) and, gold. i know what the gold coating are good for (besides emptying my wallet) but, how about the other two. and does anyone know of anything better.Also, how good of an idea is this?

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

You should talk to Optics Wave Labs on the phone. They have done more mirrors than all on CN. They are very good and will walk you through the coatings you need. I think they still have a very good price offer on the table. Look at this link and their 40% off mirror coating.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=816318

Bill

#3 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

thanks bill,
i will be calling them,i just wanted to see if there was a wider unbiased field of knowledge before speaking with them.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

thanks bill,
i will be calling them,i just wanted to see if there was a wider unbiased field of knowledge before speaking with them.

Will you be disassembling the scope and sending the optics to OWL or will they be disassembling the scope?

Jon Isaacs

#5 Jarad

Jarad

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

They have done more mirrors than all on CN.

Be careful about making claims like this. I don't think you know either how many mirrors OWL has done, nor how many other coating services may have done. OWL is a relatively new company, there are others who have been around for a lot longer, so it seems unlikely on the face of it. Not to mention that simple number of mirrors done is not necessarily the best criteria to use.

Jarad

#6 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Jarad,

I did not mean other services. I was talking about the single members on CN.

Bill

#7 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

On the topic of re-coating optics, not only am i trying to find out about different types of coating and there relevance but, optical coating companies that the people of CN have had some dealings with. I am trying to make an educated choice in the matter of reviving and older SCT. On that note, is there any services where the whole scope is serviced from, mirror to meniscus?

#8 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

I personally would look around at several coating services. If you look at past posts on Cloudy Nights you'll see a quite a few problems people have had with their OWL coatings. No other coating service has had so much controversy. Last I looked their Better Business rating was a D- .
They are cheap though.
I have had good luck with both Nova and Spectrum.

#9 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

There are several threads where mirrors were received back from OWL in damaged condition and OWL wouldnt make the damage good. Read the past threads about them before you make a choice.

I have dealt with Spectrum coatings with no problems and can reccomend them:
http://www.spectrum-...rror-Prices.htm

I have not done business with them personally but Composite coatings has a good reputation as well, they gladly coat telescope mirrors but are more geared to Militaty Industrial products. Contact bob on their website form and ask for a quote.
http://www.compositemirrors.com/
Robert C. Romeo, President
Composite Mirror Applications, Inc.
1638 S. Research Loop, #100
Tucson, Arizona 85710
Tel: (520) 733-9302 X 106
Fax: (520) 733-9306
www.compositemirrors.com
An ISO 9001 Company

#10 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I wanted to send the scope, i don't have the experience to do it myself.

#11 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Why do you think the optics need recoating? What you desire could cost more than a new modern scope.

Bill

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

I wanted to send the scope, i don't have the experience to do it myself.

Hopefully the coatings are in good condition. In general SCTs are good about coatings, better than Newtonians, because the coatings are well protected.

Jon

#13 Ettu

Ettu

Sputnik

• Loc: 45N90W Wisconsin USA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

On the topic of re-coating optics, ... from, mirror to meniscus?

Does anybody recoat/refigure menisucs.

Keith (Ettu)
http://www.willowber...et/keithnk_m42/

#14 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

I tore one in my knee a few years back...... :lol:

#15 Ettu

Ettu

Sputnik

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

I tore one in my knee a few years back...... :lol:

:grin: To bad the SCT variety can't heal with proper care

Fwiw, I recently had a 16" mirror and secondary refigured and recoated at OWL. Good results, resonable turn around. I packed it very well in a custom cut semi rigid foam packing. I don't know if it is what they normally do, but it returned packed in the same. Maybe it was better than what they otherwise provide, but anyway it arrived fwd and bck safely. Also Fwiw, "fragile" and "glass" labels mean nothing to UPS or FedX. All pkg's are handled the same, so pack like it will be chucked and dropped and stacked on, because it will be. Those caution labels just mean they will question you carefully about contents and your packing if you try and put insurance on it. Including opening your pkg to check, and possibly rejecting it if it can't "fixed" on the spot.

#16 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well Bill,
I am originally wanting to recoat due to age, its an older scope and i was hoping to "update" the optics for they are pre uhtc. I was looking at it from the angle of tuneup.

#17 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

To make things clear, my rating on THIS sight is newb, in every sense of the name and i am new to astronomy, though not to star gazing, and i wish to thank all whom have taken the time to respond. Perhaps i became i bit over excited trying to make an old scope new. Its just the thought of "giving it to the man" taking a 3 to 6 hundred dollar investment and turning it into a 25 hundred dollar product for, i have been so very frustrated by the cost of even used equipment these days its a wonder that anyone can enjoy the wonders of astronomy any more.

#18 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

P.S. off the subject of OWL, please, is it a good idea and, if so, which is best all around for either deep shy, planetary or even maybe, AP?

#19 Ettu

Ettu

Sputnik

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

... is it a good idea and, if so, which is best all around for either deep shy, planetary or even maybe, AP?

For visual, the less expensive options are fine, for AP you'd want the best. Minor differences are cumulatively better or worse with better or worse light out the back end. Compared to taking a photo, your eye sees the equivalent of maybe 10 sec at ISO 1600, with AP, unless planetary or lunar, you routinely take photo's at 100 sec and up.

Take a strong light and shine it in the OTA through the front plate. You may be shocked how "bad" it is. In fact, it's surprising how "bad" it can be and still be pretty good. Unless it's more than 10 yrs old, or has obvious water spots or lines indicating it got water into it, leave it alone. I have a friend in whose 12" a very tiny spider had gotten in, and spun a few strands of a web. It's dried up carcass is still in there, and so are the strands, and visually it's as good as ever. We've looked at Pluto and Triton, the moon of Neptune since our little resident died. Proper and careful alignment of the secondary is far more important.

If it's particularly dirty or has other issues, you might want to try Dr Clay Sherod (sp?). I don't know if he still does "supercharging" but he'd tune and clean it up and for sure be able to tell you if you have a coatings issue that should be addressed. Others here may know of some other individuals or outfits that provide that service too.

Good luck, try it out for a bit 1st.

Ettu

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

The main point is missing here. To recoat an SCT primary it will have to be dismounted from its support. Then the mirror needs to be glued on again. The process is called "spinning" to make sure the mirror is at the correct angle relative to the corrector and secondary. I have not heard of an SCT recoating service which can reliably guarantee a correct replacement of the primary. One of the symptoms of a poorly "spun" mirror is that when you collimate correctly on one side of focus you will find that the secondary shadow is off center on the other side of focus no matter what you do. I do *not* recommend sending an SCT off for recoating to any ol' mirror company.

#21 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Sean,

You're worrying too much. If the coatings are not degrading, new coatings wouldn't matter much at the eyepiece.

#22 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

sbout time! Im thinking thats what i needed. thanks.

#23 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Point is now moot, seeing as how the corrector was shattered on arrival!

#24 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yah, heres to worrying, right Frank?!

#25 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I did a Schmidt through Owl and it came out fine.
I dismounted the Primary carefully, the rubberish Orange
glue peeled off from the mirror by carefully starting it with a razor blade. I scribed the alignment mark on the back of the mirror and holder for proper reassembly.
I also separated the secondary from the cork backing, I did the same thing Diamond scribe the back.
I used the Enhansed coatings and am glad I did.
There was a mose definate difference in brightness.
Also I have heard the Urban Legend about the enhansed coatings hurting
Sharpness. I don't know where it started, but is baseless (with O.W.L.) coatings.
The price was right, turn around was fine. I got personal
replys to my emails and I will most certainly use them again!
PS they will test your optics for free if asked. I didn't on mine, didn't need to I know they are good....
Best Of luck..
OH YES! INSURE BOTH WAYS!! and check for the rubber O-ring or screw, (Primary baffle stop) before using upon return!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics