29 replies to this topic

#1 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hello.
I like the old telescopes and in Spain don't really know anything about similar to your forum.
Three years ago that I have this: Scope 2556.
What do you think?
I think that was manufactured by Towa, but the brand is Scope.
A greeting.
Bernardo.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

All I know is that's one nice scope and welcome to the CN Classic Scope Forum. I know you'll get the info you need on this forum.

Rich (RLTYS)

#3 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thank you for the welcome.
I have seen some similar Sears brand, but as i had read, the circle, and the T are typical of Towa.
Greetings.

#4 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Circle T is Towa. I have the same in the Sears model, and also have an older "SCOPE" but its the 76.2mm and made by Royal Astro of japan. Both scopes are excellent and yours appears to be a very fine example of one of these classic refractors!!

#5 snork

snork

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nice telescope Bernardo. I have a Scope 60mm x 700mm that looks like yours. I have read that the Scope brand telescopes were sold in the Sears catalog at one time. They do look very much like a Sears.

#6 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

It looks just like a Sears from the 60's that sold cheap on ebay

#7 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thank you.
The truth is that it is a very nice telescope, and gives some great images of the Moon, planets and double stars. Even better than my other Vixen 102 m Superpolaris telescope, which is that normally use on the field trips, for being more luminous. This is not vintage but it is also quite old.
I think that Towa was manufactured telescopes for various brands, Sears and Scope including, in this case are almost equal. I've seen the pictures of the Sears, who have the right finder and not kinked.
Also there is a model Scope 2556 (the same data on the rating plate) color white and identical to the Towa 339. A friend of mine has one, and not long ago, I saw another sale. These would be earlier and did not change the paint?

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Bienvenido Bernardo. You will find us a congenial group who share a passion for fine older telescopes, both collecting them and using them. The group is a storehouse of information and good will. I am happy that you have joined us.

#9 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thank you Terra
I've been reading a while before registering, and find it me incredible that you have and as the leave as new telescopes.
I hope to learn from you.

P.D: Sorry, for my English. I understand this, but to write I am using a translator, and I imagine that it will be horrible to read me

#10 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

We are all harmless and friendly. Well nearly all of us :lol: :lol:

#11 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Welcome Bernardo. Nice to have you aboard. :cool:

Is your SP-C102 made in Japan? If so, that is an excellent refractor. I was surprised when you said your Scope 2556 showed better images. Of course the 2556 is also a very capable performer. Enjoy!

#12 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hello Albert.

Yes, it is "made in Japan". It is indeed a very good refractor, and is that I normally use because it is much more luminous than the Scope, and although it is not very large you can also see some things deep-sky.

He said that the scope is better because in planetary to f15, i have not noticed any chromatic aberration while the Vixen in Jupiter if there is a slight bluish halo. Nothing annoying, but it is there if one is fixed well.

Although it may be unfair to say that is worse just because of this, because in truth the difference in opening makes in general is far greater than the Scope. With the, the stars are punctual in open clusters and nebulae, gives a lovely view and globular, resolves the major. For galaxies is little opening, but something you can see it.

A greeting.

Posted Image

#13 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I bet the "SCOPE" has a more pleasing image then the Vixen since the longer focal length shows far less false color. Both scopes are classic scopes though, so enjoy them. bob

#14 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• Loc: Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Those 80/1200 optics do a fine job, enjoy your scope.
http://www.spacealbe...com/jan2513.jpg

#15 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Except for the color your scope looks exactly like a Tasco 10K I just bought.

#16 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Bernardo! I started out with pretty much the same scope as you - actually it was the 76mm, not your 80 mm, but close enough and with the same cool colors too. It's a mighty fine scope and if you can use modern eyepieces with it, it will be fantastic!

#17 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Have you already seen by this? What is it?

#18 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Thank you.
It has an eyepiece 4 mm and a 7.5-22.5 pretty good zoom, but it is not what I normally use.
I have a some rare eyepieces:
I have a Televue Nagler 9mm type 1 and a Longperng LER 6 mm.
Also, I have some very good eyepieces from photogrammetric equipment. As old or more than the telescope (some are of the 1950s).

Posted Image

Ann some more. Perhaps write about them in the eyepieces forum

#19 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

You have some really neat eyepieces there Bernardo. I love those old precision optics eyepieces adapted from other devices. I have a number of them myself. They are some of my favorites.

We're you a photogrammetrist? I worked on an aerial mapping project as part of the exploration and excavation of large Roman archaeological site in Portugal near the Spanish border in the 1980s.

#20 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hello Terra. We have been colleagues.
You have lived in Portugal, or you manage the project from USA?
I have worked editing cartography and orthophotos for 20 years, until 2010 when it closed the company. A bad story.
The eyepiece number 1 is from a machine Zeiss for aerotriangulation. Fact in DDR perhaps in the 70s.
The numbers 4,5 and 6 are from photogrametric machines Wild A8 and B8, Switzerland 50s. Heinrich Wild Work with Carl Zeiss until 1920. After he founded Wild Heerbrugg, which ended joined wiht Leica

I have several pairs of different focal. Don't know if the lens is Zeiss or Wild, but they are very, very good.

#21 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi Bernardo,

How about that. It is a small world. I worked on that project in Portugal on and off throughout the 1980s and 90s. We finished it in 2000. I spent many happy summers over there. I was part of an interdisciplinary team; I worked on the mapping and did the archeo-geology, soils, and paleo-environmental reconstruction, as well as putting it in Arc-Info (Geographic Information System/GIS) and construction of a digital elevation model (DEM). The site is located about 100km west of BadaJoz Spain, and between Evoramonte and Portalegre in Alto Alentejo Portugal; a very beautiful, pastoral and ancient area.

#22 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Really small and amazing coincidences. Are you a geologist?
It must have been a very nice work. Do you understand Portuguese?, the Spanish is very similar.
I was born in a people(village) in the South of Badajoz (Monesterio). In the same geologic area of Ossa Morena as the Portuguese Alentejo and with much seemed(much looked like) characteristics. I am a geologist, although I have always been employed at Cartography and later with Arcgis and GVsig in other projects.
(Yo nací en un pueblo en el Sur de Badajoz (Monesterio). En la misma zona geológica de Ossa Morena que el Alentejo portugués y con características muy parecidas. Soy geólogo, aunque siempre he trabajado en Cartografía y después con Arcgis y GVsig en otros proyectos.)

#23 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Sí Bernardo. Yo también soy un geólogista. Hablo Portugués y también un poco de Español.

Terracita

#24 towinta

towinta

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hello Terra.
It is a happiness to find someone with a formation and a few so similar hobbies. A pity that there are thousands of kilometers for way. I would like to chat and to share some night of observation with you.

#25 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

That would indeed be very nice Bernardo. I would like that too.

Terra

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics