• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

I use FC 2.2beta with the camera and I am glad with results, but yesterday i wanted to use 2x2 binning and I could not switch it on (the button is grey - inactive).

Where is the problem? Sam writes on his page camera can do 2x2 bin so it is problem with Fire Capture?

Thank you in advance for any idea.

Michal

#2 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Michal,
It's not supported because FC uses a WDM library to drive the ASI and it's not available there.
I'll add binning to the next FC version. I would prefer using a native ASI SDK if Sam has fun implementing this ;) If not I'll use simple software binning then.
Torsten

#3 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thank you Torsten!

And what about other programmes? Is 2x2bin working with any other capturing software?

#4 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Sam told me that Sharpcap supports 2X2 binning.

cheers

Mike

#5 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the ASI120MM does not support hardware binning. You need to ask Sam this to be sure, but AFAIK even the binning in SharpCap is a software (driver-based) binning.

#6 Bird

Bird

Soyuz

• Loc: Murrumbateman, Australia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hi guys, the ASI120MM-C uses the Aptina MT9M034 sensor, you can find the data PDF for this on the net. Have a look on page 29, it says that 2x2 binning is supported in hardware.

So, maybe Sam hasn't enabled that feature yet through his driver, but the camera seems to support it.

cheers, Bird

#7 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

hi guys
Bird is right. MT9M034 support hardware binning.but CMOS's bin technical is different from CCD's which give twice sensetivity. that's why I used software bin in the driver.

@Torsten I really want to provide one Native ASI SDK. so FC can support it better.let's talk in email

#8 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Sam, do you know anything about whether or not it is just digital/software binning or true hardware binning where you actually reduce the read-noise because the 2x2 pixel charged is read-out TOGETHER (with one time the read-noise) instead of added after each has been read-out individually? I do see a reference about digital binning on page 29, but nothing about the technique that they use.

I believe in an email you mentioned it is just a nearest neighbor technique, which would be even more useless as normal software binning.

To be honest, I don't really see an advantage of using software binning at all. Increasing the signal/noise ratio can be achieved using other more flexible methods.

(some background information on binning: http://www.andor.com...es-binning-mean . Summary: hardware binning is basically making one large pixel out of several smaller ones, with the same read noise as the smaller one. If you have a 5.6um camera at 640x480 with 10e read noise, and it supports 2x2 hardware binning, you now basically have a 320x240 11.2um with 10e read noise camera. In software binning you would have a 320x240 11.2um 20e read noise camera, not 40e as the read noise is added in quadrature)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics