Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other vintage scope ads.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
496 replies to this topic

#326 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

C90 Wedge Tripod

Here you go, a C90 on a wedge and tripod, perfect compliment for Classic C8 owners.

#327 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...SCOPE-TRIPOD...

#328 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Field model Questar:
http://westslope.cra...3793052010.html

C8
http://westslope.cra...3796490174.html

Not affiliated with sellers

#329 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...LESCOPE-W-CA...

VINTAGE UNIQUE PORTABLE COULTER CT-100 TELESCOPE W/ CASE AND EXTRAS

#330 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Has anyone ever tested the optics in one of these CT-100's? If they are anything like the rest of the Coulter mirrors, at f3.5 I would have some serious reservations.

#331 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I got a 4.25 F4 Coulter kit way back when, and the mirror was not great. Replaced it with a used Edmund mirror from a friend and it was much better. The ronchigram of the Coulter mirror wasn't good. Tested it after it performed so poorly. Under corrected and ripply. Not too bad under 40x. I gave it to a neighbor and he made a scope for his nephew. Gave him some other parts too.

#332 John Higbee

John Higbee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

this one looks interesting, but the pictures aren't "close in" enough to really tell...80MM/1200MM fl...hope that isn't the objective in two pieces on the table, but it might be!

http://easternshore....3776410397.html

John

#333 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

you mean the lens with the large chips in it :lol: :lol:

#334 John Higbee

John Higbee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

yeah...looked that way, but the case and parts might be useful...John

#335 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Right here on CN. A Zeiss Telemator with rotating finder.

http://www.cloudynig...ct=79701&sor...

Zeiss is nice!

#336 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's a Tasco with the wind-up clock drive. The lens is worrisome though.

JimC

#337 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I used photoshop and that is the objective laying there with big chips. What a shame.

#338 wfj

wfj

Apollo

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I once went to pick up one of these, after being told it was "complete". The seller was paranoid, and insisted on meeting at a fast food joint. So I did and the person showed with ... some telescope parts!

Which I assembled. Still incomplete. Then they went off again ... for more pieces. They wanted to do this multiple times ... while I pointed out that the parts didn't fit.

My favorite were the two flat glass pieces of plate (!) glass, an inch less in diameter or more than they needed to be to occupy the cell, probably from flashlights or something. Every time they'd discount, discount ... I gave up and walked away, where upon they "threatened" to toss it all in the dumpster if I didn't give them something for it ... Uggh!

Not to mention the bent/broken shafts, cracked wood, sheared pins, chipped eyepiece lenses in a pile (disassembled). Didn't mind the challenge of the puzzle, but the presumptions of the seller and my presumed gullibility ...

#339 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...ope-Telephot...

Celestron C90 1000mm f/11 Maksutov Telescope Telephoto Lens with Camera Adapter

#340 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

"VINTAGE UNIQUE PORTABLE COULTER CT-100 TELESCOPE W/ CASE AND EXTRAS"

A few questions about the scope for sale have been asked and answered, kinda. The answers are the kind of answers you get from someone selling something they don't know much or anything about.

Edit: The dovetail bar discussed below is not in the pictures on the ebay listing. The seller answering questions about that says he is selling only what is in the pics, no dovetail bar. In the description the telescope is described as complete.

There is a dovetail bar that the two ends slip over, and are locked into place with a thumbscrew. Think truss tube dob. Without the bar you are thumbscr...I can't write that! This is a family site! In case the mods feel a need to clip some of this, keep this: without that bar and bolts to hold the two ends together, you don't have a complete functioning scope. I'm pretty sure that bar is non-standard. Machining a replacement should be straight forward (although with angled sides), but having someone else machine one for you would be a bit of change.

Here's the manual with a couple of line drawings of how it works, thanks to Robert Provin:

CT-100 Manual

But, backing up a bit, I seem to remember that the bar was hidden in the carrying case, maybe the handle. I zipped back a followup question to search the bag for the bar. So it may show up.

As far as optical quality, I had two, but for various reasons didn't hang onto them long enough to get a feel for the optics. Searching around CN (do it Google...sigh) and you can find some threads on that. At a minimum I think they are better than Astroscans.

BTW, some versions had nice blue paint. This one looks utilitarian.

LGM

#341 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

I once went to pick up one of these, after being told it was "complete". The seller was paranoid, and insisted on meeting at a fast food joint. So I did and the person showed with ... some telescope parts!

Which I assembled. Still incomplete. Then they went off again ... for more pieces. They wanted to do this multiple times ... while I pointed out that the parts didn't fit.

My favorite were the two flat glass pieces of plate (!) glass, an inch less in diameter or more than they needed to be to occupy the cell, probably from flashlights or something. Every time they'd discount, discount ... I gave up and walked away, where upon they "threatened" to toss it all in the dumpster if I didn't give them something for it ... Uggh!

Not to mention the bent/broken shafts, cracked wood, sheared pins, chipped eyepiece lenses in a pile (disassembled). Didn't mind the challenge of the puzzle, but the presumptions of the seller and my presumed gullibility ...

I once met someone selling some vintage Leica binoculars at adoughnut place, his place to meet. He struck me as a bit nervous, the cat on a hot tin roof type of feel. He was trying to manipulate me into not noticing the loose material floating in one side! It looked like a bug exoskeleton, or maybe some material that had flaked off something. Looking through them at night (also his set up) they were okay. Looking through the objective, which he was trying to not let me do, there it was.

As he was jibber-jabbering away about how the debris does affect the view I just put them down and walked away. With time and experience, (I also deal with the general public in my profession), I've seen enough silly behavior. Remember, there is always another deal coming along!
LGM

#342 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Steve here is my horror story about a telescope buyer from an add I posted a few years ago on AM.
I met up with a guy who said he was a minister in Vegas that wanted the scope I was selling.I told him I could meet him up near your house and save him the trip thru the valley. I was selling a beat up 12" Cave Astrola and mount that was disassembled. Most all the parts were there and it had a great mirror for $600. After spending 2 hours in a restaurant parking lot going thru every box and part, He says great but he is $100 short and he will send it to me. I say OK thats fine, he gives me $500 and he leaves with the scope. 2 weeks later he sends me the $100. Wow great I think to myself. A month later I get an Email from him saying the scope is missing some nuts and bolts / parts, I write back and tell him it is what it is. Then he write to Herb York and start telling him I ripped him off. Also he was posting on Cloudy night Reflector forum how I ripped him off, the guys there tried to buy the optics for what I sold the scope to him for. Then the guy starts sending me photos of My Cave that he ripped from the internet pointing out the parts that were on my cave but not on his.. Then he persisted posting BS on CN and was banned. Then he was lifetime banned from AM by Herb York after he called Herb and started threatening and insulting him on the phone. He sent me Emails that he was going to come and find me with his 44 magnum, I forwarded the Email to the VEGAS PD. Bummer I never heard from him again.... WOW...Beware the DWag will get you :shocked:
Clint

#343 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

Yikes! Clint, I'm very glad he never came after you, very glad. This is one of those stories that you read or see about on the news. I would not be surprised if he got a visit from the Las Vegas Police who discussed things with him.

Steven

PS. If anyone out there is getting involved in a deal you're not sure about, feel free to ask us here.

#344 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

http://www.cloudynig...p?product=79893

Here you go folks. This is the one you want.

#345 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Looks minty, these were sturdy metal machining.

http://www.ebay.com/...-D102mm-F100...

#346 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Looks minty, these were all metal machining and made in the USA.

http://www.ebay.com/...-D102mm-F100...

Just for the record: the 2045's were made in Japan, by Mizar (AKA Hino Metal Specialties), for Meade.

Fred

#347 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

A fine company too! For the record, can you post the source for that claim? Telescope Bluebook does not say anything about it. http://www.telescope...m/sct/meade.htm
Thanx

#348 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Scroll down almost to the bottom of this link to the post by CN member Tim53:

Link

Additionally, when I purchased my 2045D in 1992, the dealer informed me that it was manufactured in Japan.

Fred

#349 Chassetter

Chassetter

Messenger

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I stand corrected sir! Original post edited, thank you.

#350 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

A fine company too! For the record, can you post the source for that claim? Telescope Bluebook does not say anything about it. http://www.telescope...m/sct/meade.htm
Thanx

Telescope blue book also missed that many of the spotters weren't even SCTs, but "mirror lenses" with a doublet corrector in front of the secondary and an optical window instead of a full-aperture corrector. I have one of these, and it's a dog.

The 2045/LX3 is a great little telescope, though.
-Tim.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics