Moving Prominence?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

I was just out for a quick peek at the Sun with my PST at 10:30. I saw a (prom or loop?)that was lit up more than the others around the Suns disc. It also appeared to be not connected at all to the disc, just floating out there. It was just off the limb from where the big sunspot it. It looked like the letter "A". I grabbed a couple of other stronger EP's to get a closer look, but did not like loosing some of the detail I had in my 12-13mm EP's. Well here it is 10 min. later and that wispy prom has changed shape and intensity. I think this is my first observation of something actually moving in such a short time.

Anyone else notice this today?

Bob

#2 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Update, 30 min. later and it's completely gone! Glad I caught it:)

#3 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

First moving prom has got to be the coolest thing to see. I did not see today's, I caught mine last summer, stoked for hours after. If you have the helioviewer on your computer, you could run that and get some pictures from SDO. Was it hard to pull your eye away to change eyepieces?

#4 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

I probably didn't realize I was watching it blow at first. It was illuminated much different and brighter then the others around the limb and then I figured it was detached from the disc. At first it looked just like the letter A and started to change shape as I was changing EP's. Backed off the magnification and just had a grin on my face:)

I did take a quick look at that helioviewer you mentioned and did see the Prom at 10:30. It was right on top of the sun in that image. I'll have to figure out how to use that viewer.

Ha observing is a lot of fun so far, but not looking forward to the summer heat when it starts.

Bob

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Cool, I didn't get out until later today so missed that one!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics