• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 JMac85X

JMac85X

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm about to buy a new computer in the next couple of weeks for the use of astrophotography and processing the images. I was looking at the Lenovo Y500 because it's a powerhouse and it has a red backlit keyboard. My only real concern is it has Windows 8 and I'm not sure if the programs like registax, starry night, backyard eos, etc will work. What are your thoughts or experience with it?

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

They will work fine but in some circumstances you may have to install under what Win 8 calls the compatability mode. After six months I think I'm done with the teething pain. If you get stuck on something in the future feel free to send me a message. I'm not a super-geek but I've probably already been there.

Btw, get into the trackpad menu and turn off most of the extremely annoying "gestures."

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

If its anything like the Windows 8 on my smart phone----buy a Mac.

#4 JMac85X

JMac85X

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

A like Mac, my girlfriend has a Mac Book that's five years old and still runs like the day she bought it, but they are so expensive. I was just looking at lenovo because they are reliable business style computers, but it's so hard to find a new pc with an i7 and a good amount of ram and memory without windows 8 on it.

#5 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Online you should still be able to find a windows 7 machine... Businesses are not jumping on the 8 wagon. The win 7 laptops are a bit more expensive, but you don't have to buy win 7 to install after the fact, and the business class usually has better hardware. How are drivers working for you CharlesW in win 8? Just remember you will never get the performance from a laptop as far as image stacking/processing as a desktop of the same price... Possibly get a cheap used laptop for capture, and a desktop for processing? Don't know if that is a road you would like to travel though. If a mac is what you might be interested in, know that the hardware as far as processor and ram is exactly the same speeds and specs as laptops 1/5th of the price running windows. You can then make the laptop a "mac clone", having OSX running as your operating system. Whichever you chose, make sure to look for drivers for all your hardware before jumping the gun... Not all drivers have been written for all variations of operating systems.

#6 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Don't bother to try to get a Win7 machine at Fry's, Orange County. I bought the last Win7 machine this past weekend.

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

No problems on my end with a new (cheap) HP laptop and Windows 8. It starts and shuts down fast, the gestures thing is no problem and everything works the way it did in Windows 7. I like it!

At the time of purchase (3months ago?) I could not find a new machine with Windows 7 on it locally as the chatter about Windows 8 had put me off.

It's no big deal....really!

#8 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

No problems on my end with a new (cheap) HP laptop and Windows 8. It starts and shuts down fast, the gestures thing is no problem and everything works the way it did in Windows 7. I like it!

At the time of purchase (3months ago?) I could not find a new machine with Windows 7 on it locally as the chatter about Windows 8 had put me off.

The only complaint I have heard about Windows 8 is from those who use Orion Starshoot Autoguiders, Does any one know if that issue has been fixed?

If not, that is definitely a deal killer for me as far as Windows 8 is concerned...

#9 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I migrate all my softwares including those you mention and work more than fine :waytogo:

#10 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Im using the SSAG in win 8 64bit, no problem. just need to do: goto settings---> change PC settings--->General---> Advance startup---> restart--->Troubleshoot---->Advance options---> Startup Settings--->Restart--->choose option (7) Disable driver signature enforcement, then install the driver

The only complaint I have heard about Windows 8 is from those who use Orion Starshoot Autoguiders, Does any one know if that issue has been fixed?

If not, that is definitely a deal killer for me as far as Windows 8 is concerned...

#11 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

My old workhorse PC (~13 years, Win 2k!!) finally died recently, and i ran up against the Win 8 tsunami. The Win 7 work-around for me was Tiger Direct! They had hoards of Win 7 PCs... well, hoards less ONE... mine!
:grin:

#12 Derrickh24

Derrickh24

Explorer 1

• Loc: Plainfield, Illinois

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I am also using a brand spankin new Acer E1 571 i3 with Win8 64 bit
I am using an Orion SSAG, with PHD, BackyardEOS, DSS, Stellarium,and PS CS6 ( plus drivers loaded for a serial to usb convertor), and no problems what so ever

Derrick

#13 RocketScientist

RocketScientist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California (East Bay area)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I just returned from Best Buy, and was told that they have discontinued all Windows 7 laptops in-store. They are now Windows 8 only. (This doesn't appear to apply to desktops and may not apply to all their online sales.)

#14 tommax

tommax

Vostok 1

• Loc: WI

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I run a bunch of different PC's for work (.net programmer), the best ones for 99% of this stuff are still XP... for getting the images you really don't need much of a computer but you need horsepower to process the images. That said Anything that works with windows 7 should work with Windows 8 as long as installer does not look for o.s. version and or require files possibly not on win 8, some apps do for example do...

* Starry Night - if you have a cd it might have an older installer and you will have to run setup in compatibility mode or it will not install right.

* Astroart 3, will not install at all on windows 8 and you will have to email them to get an updated installer or your out of luck.

* Meade LPI - No driver for x64 and you lose the ability to guide with it in Windows 7 and 8.

Personally I think a laptop as long as it has USB 2.0 ports on it running windows XP is the best choice as it is a comparably light OS which everything should run on just fine, put the dollars into a processing desktop or beefy laptop you won't bang up in the field, craigslist probably $100 would buy such a unit...

just my 2 cents.

#15 RocketScientist

RocketScientist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California (East Bay area)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Is Skytools 3 happy on Windows 8?

#16 tommax

tommax

Vostok 1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

1 last thought on this...

If you are savvy enough, a dual boot system would be pretty nice as well if you want 1 unit as long as drivers can be found for both, Win 8 does dual boot really well.

#17 astro-vert

astro-vert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

I just got Dell with Windows 8... I am able to connect to my CGEM mount and the Orion SSAG through PHD (1.14). I cannot connect to my Starshoot G3 in Nebulosity though. I have the ASCOM Platform 6 installed, etc , but when the G3 is connected, it tries to load a driver (not the G3) and it fails.

Wanted to jump in and share what I know, and hopefully get some info as well.

Thanks,
Andrew

#18 tommax

tommax

Vostok 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

A side note warning on this topic, might be a captain obvious moment but if some one does not know this, it could save them some pain...

MAKE SURE WHAT YOU GET IF IT HAS WINDOWS 8 DOES NOT HAVE WINDOWS 8 RT Version... Nothing you have for astro will run on the W8/RT tablets and laptops so be sure to ask and only get Windows 8 Pro.

#19 tommax

tommax

Vostok 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

I can also forgot to advise that many usb to serial convertors will not work with 8 x64... specifically the KeySpan USA-19Q / USA-19QW will not work, no drivers... nor did several other serial to USB adapters I tried... The Tripp-Lite / Keyspan Model: USA-19HS does work fine in both win 7 and Win 8, both x86 and x64.

#20 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

I have been running windows 8 for over a year. I had the pre release evaluation and now the full pro version. I have had ZERO problems whatsoever. None. Zip. Nada.

obin :jump:

#21 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have been running windows 8 for over a year. I had the pre release evaluation and now the full pro version. I have had ZERO problems whatsoever. None. Zip. Nada.

That's good to hear. Can you tell us what astro related applications and devices you are using?

#22 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Their are lots of sites for custom built systems for W7, also generally custom built system can handle older OS depending on the MB.
Their also better quality then off the shelf systems especially when its an integrated MB.
I just recently added a 2gig 16x PC Video card, it literally is 10X faster then the integrated Video card the MB came with. Its like having a new machine again being so much faster.

#23 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Is Skytools 3 happy on Windows 8?

Yes!

Charlie B

#24 JMac85X

JMac85X

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I just bought the Lenovo Y500 yesterday. 16gb ram, 1tb hard drive, i7, NVidia graphics card, windows 8. I downloaded backyard eos, registax, and stellarium so far and they work just fine. I'm on it right now actually. I'm about to get starry night pro. so I don't know whats so bad about windows 8 so far, its a little different, the start menu is actually tiles now but I have xbox live so its not new to me lol. I kind of like it so far.

#25 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's good to hear. Can you tell us what astro related applications and devices you are using?

I am at work right now but off the top of my head:
-Stellarium
-Orbitron
-Heavensat
-Cartes Du Ciel
-DeepSkyStacker
-ASCOM telescope control for LXD-55
-Craterlet
-Meade Autostar Updater
-a bunch of software for the webcam to capture full HD video for stacking

I also had a few other pieces of software I can't remember the names of because I didn't find them to be useful in satellite tracking. They did work though.

obin :kitty:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics