Propus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Propus B has disappeared!...at least for me. Propus, eta Gem, has been one of my favorites with a 4 inch scope. However, for the last few years, I just cannot see it even in my f/15 4 inch. Would like to hear other observer results. Maybe I need to see an eye doctor. :help:
Bill

#2 fred1871

fred1871

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Eta Gem (Propus) is listed as a long period binary. Separation has been slowly increasing over time. The most recent measures of 2004 and 2008 are 1.8" separation. The orbit - a grade 5, therefore preliminary - suggests 1.6" (and widening) but in the 6th orbit catalog, the diagram of measures plotted against the orbit, suggests the orbital parameters need revision - recent measures are wider than the calculated orbit would suggest.

So, the likely explanation for your difficulty is "seeing" in the sense of atmosphere wobbles. The brightness difference of the stars (~2.7 mags) makes it harder, and more subject to atmosphere not co-operating, despite the separation being wider than Dawes for a 3-inch scope.

Last time I looked at it (5.5-inch refractor) I needed 160x-200x in 7/10 seeing to show the pair. I'd expect a 4-inch would depend more on steady seeing, being only a little less sensitive to atmosphere.

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Sounds like a seeing issue.

Sometimes revisiting close pairs like that can be a reminder of just how good the seeing needed to be to really show it off. I've often been so taken with the great view that can be so vivid I want yo believe its easier to see than it was. Then a night comes doing, the seeing smears the companion into oblivion and I realize how exclusive those conditions really were,

I'm sure your eyes are fine.

Pete

#4 gfeulner

gfeulner

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've been able to split it several times this year with my excellent quality C8 but the seeing has to be very good. Gerry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics