• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Which one for subscription and why?

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

This will sound like a cop-out but I've never been able to make this decision. I've subscribed to both and haven't regretted it. They each bring great articles, columns, and tips to the table.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

S&T.

Better writing, better editing, less fluff, more stuff. Better pedigree.

Scientific American is to Discover as S&T is to Astronomy.

Nuf said.

Regards,

Jim

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Check our our Stellar Media Forum. there's been several threads on these two magazines.

#5 Pharquart

Pharquart

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I needed to make this choice myself a while back, so I went to the library and browsed through a few months of back issues. Each magazine has a little different approach and education level. I happened to choose Astronomy but that was just my opinion. I liked the regular columns in that magazine a little better.

Brian

#6 steveyo

steveyo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Actually, I prefer the British mag "Astronomy Now", but that's harder to obtain, and way more money, at least stateside.

#7 MarkShay

MarkShay

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

S&T for those more into serious observing and Astronomy for those more into astronomical knowledge. In the last few years I think these lines have been blurring with S&T taking on a more "Astronomy" look.

#8 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

True. S&T has had to dilute its content to appeal to a more mass-market consumer audience just like Scientific American has had to do in order to slow subscription attrition.

Astronomy Now in the UK is just "okay" in my book. I mean, any magazine that would include an article that mentions me by name, with a picture, has to be a little bit sketchy. :lol:

For "gearheads", Astronomy Technology Today here in the States is pretty entertaining, though for the most part it's a new products announcement rag...er..."vehicle" more than an "astronomy" publication.

Regards,

Jim

#9 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

my favorite was the sky at night magazine, but can no longer afford. I think they have good head to head reviews on equipment and much of the mag is dedicated to how to articles.

personally, if i had to choose one or the other, I would get astronomy as the local library has SandT.

#10 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I enjoy both S&T and Astronomy. I have a semi-complete collection going back to the mid-1980s with a wide gap in the late 80s and early 90s due to college/grad school. I let my S&T subscription lapse this January as I try to make my own mind up about which one. It use to be S&T hands down, but with the dilution of tech info and loss of some writers I'm not sure anymore. I get the sense Astronomy has attempted to beef-up the tech offered to some degree; and I like O'Meara's column.

Like a previous post I find Astronomy Now and Sky at Night interesting; maybe because the two are new to me and provide differing presentation to what I am accustomed to. I am considering subscribing to Astronomy Now.

I really enjoy reaching back in time and re-reading those S&T issues from the 80s and 90s. I suppose instead of giving you clear-cut advice I've managed to show my vascillation with this question. This question is just no longer obvious any longer.

Best,
Randy

#11 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I like both, there isn't much difference between each.

#12 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

The total annual subscription cost for both magazines is about half of the average monthly cable TV bill, or about equivalent to one decent meal out for a couple. Seems like an obvious choice to get both.

#13 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Best thing to do is pick up a few copies of each and decide for yourself.

#14 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I enjoy both. Together they don't provide enough 'astro' content to fill in a months reading.

#15 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

I have subscribed to both at times, but haven't subscribed to either in years. Back in the day, it was S&T hands down. I hope they have kept up the tradition. Drop by a newsstand (rare bird in this day and age) and compare for yourself.

#16 skyquest25

skyquest25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Astronomy seems to be more "professional" in the sense of articles and content that is inclined toward more advanced astronomers or scientific minded.

Sky & Telescope has always seemed to me more directed toward the real amateur astronomer.

Sky at Night is also more directed toward the amateur but dang it why do they need to call it the "plough" ! :shameonyou:

Astronomy Now, while a long running publication is more related to "scientific" astronomy similar to Astronomy magazine.

My take after 30 years. :applause:

#17 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Astronomy seems to be more "professional" in the sense of articles and content that is inclined toward more advanced astronomers or scientific minded.

Sky & Telescope has always seemed to me more directed toward the real amateur astronomer.

Sky at Night is also more directed toward the amateur but dang it why do they need to call it the "plough" ! :shameonyou:

Astronomy Now, while a long running publication is more related to "scientific" astronomy similar to Astronomy magazine.

My take after 30 years. :applause:

Sorry but my opinion is exactly oposite. Over the years
S&T has had the most complete content for serious Ameture Astronomers. They have gotten closer due to the need to dilute the content of S&T for those who have taken the hobby
on a lighter schedule.
I can say when I got into the hobby I tended to like Astronomy mag better because I understood it a bit better,
but as I have gained more knowledge I have found myself wanting a deeper explanation of the media involved.
They are both good monthlys and I find the reviews refreshing, especially now since my budget has been sliced a lot thinner where it comes to my hobbys.
In a nutshell I'd say Astronomy is a bit more "entertaining" and S&T is more informative, and pointed to more "advanced readers in the hobby" thats my 43 yrs Astro experience worth.

#18 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

How is the ad-to-content ratio in these? I've really gotten tired of magazines becoming nothing more than long form advertising. I stopped subscribing to many magazines due to this... that and the fact that by the time the magazine was out I had already heard all I needed on the internet! ;)

#19 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'd say "six of one and a half dozen of another", but S&T is currently the one that I have a subscription to. There was a time when S&T held the upper hand due to its superior technical content, but I'd say that they're pretty close now.

#20 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have both, but yeah, if you have a library near you could read both to get a better feel for them. S&T always has some articles on what to observe that are very interesting and Sue French does a nice job on DSO's each month!

#21 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Which one for subscription and why?

Neither.

Both have too many advertisements and too little content for the price asked, in my opinion.

If forced to choose one: Sky & Telescope, by a considerable margin.

#22 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

For more than 30 years I subscribed to both. Last January or so, Astronomy did a major redo of their magazine. One change they made was to noticeably reduce the size of their type font on most of their articles. I believe this was a huge mistake. People still reading magazines are an older demographic. Type size is important to many of us. Because of this, I cancelled my subscription to Astronomy. I e-mailed the editors in an attempt to discuss the issue with them. None of them responded. I e-mailed the editor of Sky and Telescope and was assured that they would not make a similar move. I have kept my subscription to Sky and Telescope.

#23 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

I have subscribed to both over the years and currently only get Astronomy. The "newly remodeled" magazine is better than ever with a great mix of hard science, observing articles and news. I'm 62 and should wear reading glasses, but I don't, and unlike Gene, I have no issues with the font size in the new Astronomy. Both are great magazines and are worthy of your support. YMMV.

#24 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I subscribe to Sky and Telescope... I just like theirs a little more and I don't want to have both of them. I should go up to barns and noble and read astronomy here and there.

A really good choice for astronomy tech nuts (like most of us here) is Astronomy Technology Today. It's a good niche one that works well as a compliment to the S&T or Astronomy mags. It's pretty much focused on the equipment side of the hobby.

#25 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Unlike general consumer magazines, the ads in hobby publications are all geared to the narrow interest group that subscribes to them. I suspect most folks in the hobby keep up with new product availablilty through those ads. I for one always check the ads closely to see what is in the pipeline. And keep in mind that none of these magazines cold exist without the advertising revenue.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics