• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I received May 2013 Astronomy issue yesterday. They came through. I shall maintain subscription.

Thnaks to Phil and his binoculars I got more objects on the slate to see. I'm falling behind. Tonight looks promising.

#77 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

I have decided to stay with Sky and Telescope because of Astronmy's deceptive practices. About 6 months ago they sent me a DVD about Stellar Evolution or something like that. It was one DVD in a series and I thought, wow that was nice of them. Then I started getting these notices (bills) that I had to pay for it. Of course, knowing that it is illegal for a company to send you something unsolicited and then require you to pay for it I started reading the fine print and there in like 2 font it said, "...of course you don't have to pay for unsolicited materials." I wonder how many poor saps actually were cow-towed into paying for something that they didn't have to. At that point I decided to let my Astronomy subscription expire. I will not do business with companies who are deceptive like this.

#78 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

A lot of places have been doing that. Astronomy has been busted several times for it. AFAIK, S&T has not done that (which suggests they're paying attention to feedback in places like CN.)

I'm with you; I hate that sort of stuff.

#79 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

Or some of you could write an article that suits the content you'd like to see in our magazine and submit it to us for publication. Part of the reason you don't see the content you're looking for is nobody is writing that.

Done that several times :smirk: but "spaceflight for astronomy" items don't often get published (e.g. results on dark matter/neutralino research by AMS-02 onboard the ISS)

Best thing about Sky&Telescope = complete digital collection on DVD

#80 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thank you Philip-
do recall that there is a lag time between when an article is accepted and when it gets published. Also, those results from the ISS experiment only went public a few weeks ago; it takes time to write it up, edit, publish, print, then mail!

#81 NightSkyGuy

NightSkyGuy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

hi, Kraus...

> But here are two folks from S&T, Herr Walker and Herr Flanders.

maybe 2½. I lurk but don't often comment.

clear skies,
Kelly

#82 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

You guys do a great job at Sky and Telescope Kelly. And the DVD set is awesome. It took me back to my youth when I used to "lurk" at the library to read the latest Sky and Telescope.

#83 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I used to believe Astronomy was more for intermediate, and S&T was more for advanced. Now that I am advanced I find both easy to read and use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics