CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with my old Celestron SP C8 and new mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DismalScientist

DismalScientist

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbia, SC

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker but this is my first time posting. I was hoping I could get help with something. I have an old Celestron SP C8. The mount is busted, so I'm looking at getting a Celestron CG-5 mount. My problem is that I don't know what (if anything) I will have to do to make it compatible.

I tried looking through old posts for an answer, but I wasn't sure what would apply to me and what wouldn't. I don't have a specific model # or anything for my scope, but I have linked several pictures below so you can see.

http://imgur.com/a/YNsU6

So my question is, what do I need to make this work?

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

You'll need a Vixen-style dovetail bar to mount on the optical tune. ADM Machining offers them.

#3 DismalScientist

DismalScientist

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Great, thanks! Do you know if that Vixen-style dovetail bar is necessary if I got a Celestron VX mount instead? For that price + the mount, I could be persuaded to just get the VX.

#4 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

The AVX and CG5 use the same Vixen dovetail. The dovetail attaches to your OTA. With the C8 you need radius blocks also. Astronomics also sells everything you'll need.

#5 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

I have this installed on my my SP-C8 in lieu of the original reverse-dovetail, works as expected.

#6 DismalScientist

DismalScientist

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm looking forward to having a mount that can actually track objects.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics