Photo

How would an Edge HD 14" compare with a...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have an exploradome. I really like being in it and not having to be outside.

I have a CPC 1100 and a 10" Dob with which I find the views to be very similar. I also have a 25" Dob that is not operational right now and I don't really want to include it in the analysis here because it or anything equivalent won't fit in the exploradome.

My exploradome has a concrete pier and I have had my CPC 1100 mounted on it before and now I have an atlas mount on it with a small refractor.

I was interested in an Edge HD 14" to mount on the pier as this is the biggest that I think I could go (I don't want a Meade 16").

What I would like to know is if the views through the Edge HD 14" would be comparable to a premium 14" dob (premium mirror--Zambuto, etc.) as far as quality goes?

Thanks,

Rob

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I only saw one sample of an EDGE C14 and I was very impressed. I also looked through a 14" DOB that night and the Edge should a little more details with a slightly brighter image. So I was pretty impressed.

#3 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

While the Edge will do very well a high end 14 inch dob will slightly outdo it on the smaller secondary alone. Add to that the smoothness of a Zambuto and there's a little more yet. So if both scopes are optimized with excellent seeing the dob should put up a noticeably more contrasty view of Jupiter but again the Edge will still be very very good. Deep sky would likely be about the same overall but with the dob having more available field of view.

#4 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks guys!

Rob

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I have an Orion xx14g. Our club has an edge C14. I have looked at several of the same objects through both on the same night and the Dob gave slightly (emphasis on the slightly) sharper and more contrasty views . . . I would say 5 percent. The C14 edge is a fine scope, you could not go wrong with it, but I suspect a premium 14 inch Dob would boost that 5 percent I see with my off the shelf 14g to maybe 10 percent sharper and better . . . again, not enough to quibble over.

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

I have a (non-Edge) C14 and an Orion XX14i. The optics on the C14 are very noticeably better than the Orion (you do tend to get what you pay for). The Orion offers a wider field, but the C14 kills it in every other way.

That says more about the Orion than it does the C14. A dob with premium optics, like a Zambuto mirror, would make things a lot closer.

It would still be an apples-to-oranges comparison, though. The C14 is f/11 and a 14" dob would probably be around f/5. Different scopes for different missions.

-Wade

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

You would certainly need more mount than the Atlas for the EdgeHD 14.

#8 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Is this for photography? I'd point to the edge HD C-14 mainly if you want to do astro photography.

-Rich

#9 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Long winded story. I apologize in advance.

I thought my 14" EdgeHD was very very well collimated until one night out at my clubs site a few people with a LOT more experience than myself decided that the collimation needed tweaking. We all spent about 20 or so minutes collimating on a star. Not just concerned with concentric rings but also the in-focus and out-focus flares to one side or another on the the star as you pass through perfect focus. Eventually we got to the point where the rings were perfect and there was no flares. The star would focus to a pin point and back out again and back in again and back out again with no little limbs.

I then pointed it at Jupiter and wasn't all that impressed. I asked myself, what did we gain? I mean it looks ok but not as sharp as I would have expected. It was a little later that it dawned on me that I still was using a very high power eyepiece!! I was at about 400x and the seeing just wasn't good enough for that. So I dropped it back to about 200x and Jupiter was so amazing I almost cried.

One of those experiences where you get glasses for the first time and realize how bad your vision really was.

Moral of the story? You could have two OTA's that are well collimated and yet one could still be better collimated than the other which results in an unfair comparison.

#10 chuckscap

chuckscap

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Collimation and cooling. A C14 with a great optics, great collimation and active cooling is an amazing instrument.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics