Adjusting star size in Sky Safari

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Is there any way to adjust the size of the stars in Sky Safari? I need to make them bigger so I can see them more easily? I am using the Pro version. I have looked but can't find anything.

Thanks

Jon

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Jon,

Have you tried:

Settings > Stars > Star Symbol Size?

This setting will allow you to double the size over the default.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Jon,

Have you tried:

Settings > Stars > Star Symbol Size?

This setting will allow you to double the size over the default.

Bill:

I have now. :)

:waytogo:

That makes a big difference, that in conjunction with changing the magnitude range will hopefully be optimal, a wider range, maybe 300% or 400% might be helpful.

My usual complaint is the stars are too big (The Sky is bad this way) but with the higher resolution and small screens of the 7 inch tablets and of course my older eyes, I need bigger stars.

I saw the star symbol setting, somehow I assumed that was for "symbols" and not the stars themselves. :duh:

Thanks...

Jon

#4 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

My usual complaint is the stars are too big (The Sky is bad this way) but with the higher resolution and small screens of the 7 inch tablets and of course my older eyes, I need bigger stars.

My complaint remains that the bright stars are too large in wide fields, and they are not large enough in small fields. In order for a finder or telescopic field to line up with a chart, you need a wide range of dot sizes between, say, 8th and 13th magnitude. And the large dots are already 'used up' by the handful of very bright stars that do not appear on the narrow-field chart of interest. As a result, the narrow-field chart renders 10th and 12th magnitude stars with almost indistinguishable symbol sizes.

I think Voyager's interface for magnitude scaling works the best of the lot. Is it possible to implement something like that in Sky Safari?

Jon, I don't know if this is blasphemy on CN, but you should join the southern stars Yahoogroup for SkySafari discussions.

Tom

#5 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Agree with Tom, 100%. The display algorithm for star size needs revising, adjusting for the fov. Maybe there's even a way of letting users tweak how it functions it by fields of view.

Here's a related issue.

To make the stars decently viewable in wide fields, one needs increase the star size to say, 140-160%, but that inflates the 1st mag and above objects to huge blobs!

It'd be good if the planet sizes could be separately adjusted. Even at 100% star size, Venus is a blob. (Yes, I realize it's -4 mag, but it's not a star!)

I'm usually at 180% so that the stars are decently sized for finder and telescopic views...and they are good for wide fields, too-- but it's Blob City for the brightest stars and the planets! :)

---------------------------------------

Added later-- I am on iOS devices! Glad to hear that something might be in the cards on this. Of course, I'd much rather have the option to change DSO magnitude by field of view than this fix!

#6 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

We will see if we can't do something better in SkySafari 4.

I think this works reasonably well on iOS devices. Android devices have a wide range of screen densities that seem to defy a simple solution.

We can try something similar to voyager. However, do remember these are mobile devices and we have to pick and choose our features.

#7 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

The old Meade Epoc 2000 planetarium program had a (IIRC) slider on the main screen that let you adjust the faintest star displayed by magnitude number, this worked great for telling how deep you were seeing at the scope, just move the slider till your view agreed with the chart display and you knew just how deep the scope was going. I have never seen anything like that on any newer program and miss it greatly!
Rex

EDIT: The SkySafari Pro on my iPad does this but you have to go to multiple screens to make it happen, a front screen slider to adjust the star magnitude would work well (or a button to bring up a floating screen like the scope control that controlled the names on/off and star magnitude would be fantastic!)

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Jon, I don't know if this is blasphemy on CN, but you should join the southern stars Yahoogroup for SkySafari discussions.

I have considered it. I am a member of a Yahoo group or two but compared to Cloudy Nights, Yahoo groups are clunky, takes me back to the days of the Usenet and I just kind fall out of them.

Jon

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I hate using Yahoo groups for the same reason. Describing them as merely clunky is much to generous. I can't figure out why anyone uses them.

#10 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I hate using Yahoo groups for the same reason. Describing them as merely clunky is much to generous. I can't figure out why anyone uses them.

I think people use them because they have become well established over the past 15 years or so, and can deal with more specialized subjects than CN. As it is, CN arguably has a large enough number of forums. For example, the comets_ml and mpml Yahoo groups are the best in the world for discussing comets and asteroids.

Not to derail the thread much further, but is there anything better available for specialty forums? If you want to create a mailing list for a very specific subject, what's the best option these days?

Tom

#11 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

EDIT: The SkySafari Pro on my iPad does this but you have to go to multiple screens to make it happen, a front screen slider to adjust the star magnitude would work well (or a button to bring up a floating screen like the scope control that controlled the names on/off and star magnitude would be fantastic!)

You obviously haven't read through all the Help ;-). There is a popup panel you can get by tapping in the upper left (where the green Alt/Az is displayed). This has controls for adjusting the star and DSO mag limits (as well as other things). There is another panel that you can get by tapping the upper right to set FOV and flip orientations.

#12 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Great, now add a button to turn the star names on/off to that popup menue and it will work as needed ( you still have to go into settings to switch off the names).

#13 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

The problem is that everyone has their own special feature that they want easy access to. You are literally the first to request a faster way to toggle star names. There is just no pleasing everyone.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

The problem is that everyone has their own special feature that they want easy access to. You are literally the first to request a faster way to toggle star names. There is just no pleasing everyone.

Bill:

I think we are very pleased with Sky Safari, I know I am... :jump: But you guys are so good, we want everything...

Jon

#15 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Well, here's what I say: Three cheers for Sky Safari!!!

Dark skies.

Jack

#16 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yea I know the feeling Bill. I do software support too. If you make it too configurable then people complain it is too difficult to use. In my opinion Sky Safari is the best app available for the iPhone and it is a steal whenever you guys put it on sale. It is an essential tool for my observing. Thanks for creating such a great product.

#17 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Jeff, it's a steal even when it's not on sale! :)

What's impressive is the combination of power and elegance.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics