Photo

Multi-mount shared travel hard case idea...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Right now I have my rag-tag collection of mounts in a rag tag collection of storage solutions. For example, I have an Atlas EQ-G head in a surplus UPS mobile scanner hard case. It's not waterproof, but I lined it with dual density padding layers and it holds the mount head securely. I have a CG5-GT head, counterweight bar, cables and hand controller stored in an old-style Rubbermaid Action Packer container (not the current style Action Packer) which I've lined with a single layer of extra-dense foam on the sides and bottom. I have no dedicated storage container for my Nexstar SE head; it sits on a shelf in my shed. My CGE head, counterweight bar, hand controller, pier, etc. live in a Pelican 1650 rolling case lined with the CGE's original shipping foam. My various non-GOTO alt-az mounts (Teegul, DSV-3, Porta Mini, soon to arrive DSV-1) are all caseless, and will likely reside atop their respective tripods for storage.

The mount storage cases I already have take up a great deal of room in my shed. It would actually be easier and more space efficient to store the various mount heads, uncased, on shelves in the shed (I have two tall racks of steel and wood warehouse shelving) and then put only the particular mount head I am traveling with in a protective case for transport.

So my question is this: Putting aside my largest mount, the CGE, which will stay in its Pelican 1650, for all of these smaller mounts heads, what do you think about having a single medium-large waterproof hard case with a large rectangular hollow in the foam that is large enough to accommodate any of these mount heads singly, with a couple separate slots in the foam for a CW shaft or counterbalance rail and/or hand controller? By limiting myself to a single shared case in this role, I would be willing to splurge and get a really good quality one such as a Hardig, Pelican, etc., rather than cheaping out like I did with the CG5 and Atlas, and it would also free up a nice amount of storage space as the Action Packer case in particular takes up one entire shelf almost.

Does this make sense or would you stick with a dedicated case per mount if you were in my shoes? Any worry about storing mounts on shelves? The shed is weather tight, my climate is not humid, the shed is well vented (filtered ridge vent, dual filtered eve vents and an extra tall 12.7-foot peak height). Very little dust makes its way into the shed so I don't think the intenals of the mounts would accumulate much extra grit due to this method of storage.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics