Think I have a chance?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

So I'm working on a theory, and I hope it holds up. ;)

About 3 weeks ago I ordered a CGEM1100 HD, all excited to use the new scope as soon as possible. But the weather was really terrible. hazy when it wasn't overcast and even some rain. I totally missed out on panstarrs too.

Bad weather and I haven't even gotten the scope yet, all I did was order! it And of course the 11 Edge is back ordered.

Recently we've had some good wind here in SoCal, clearing out the haze and clouds, its a new Moon and the temperatures are going up, perfect!

But the scope is still back ordered...

So my theory is that maybe my new scope penalty isn't going to be paid in weeks of overcast weather when the scope arrives, but instead it'll be paid in the agony of waiting for that shipping email that seems never to come.

I could live with that.

What do you think? Sound feasible? :praying:

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I always admire wishful thinking. The truth is that on the day your scope is delivered your region will be visited with plagues of locusts that darken the sky, hail the size of a Volkswagen beetle, pillars of fire and rising tides. Then the weather will get really bad . . .

#3 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Wow! I guess its time to break out the shotgun then! LOL!

#4 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

don't know how, but the curse is real with me also!

#5 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Wow! I guess its time to break out the shotgun then! LOL!

June gloom awaits you. And, with Global Warming ™, it comes earlier every year!

P.s. you just cursed Pasadena to eternal cloudiness :(

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

What do you think? Sound feasible?

Those of us who live in SoCal always have a good chance of having clear weather, if... we are willing to do a little driving.

Many/most places in the country, the weather 100 miles from you is exactly the same as yours... Here, a drive into the mountains or to the deserts can take you to an entirely new climate.. Last weekend was cloudy in San Diego, observably clear in the mountains.

Jon

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Since I moded my scopes for cloud viewing, this hobby has really taken off! :lol:

#8 d00d

d00d

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Zombie apocalypse... The skies will be perfect though and seeing, the best ever in decades. Load the shotgun and mount the scope on the roof.

#9 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

LOL at csrlice12!

Yeah fortunately the June gloom takes a while to make it all the way up here to La Crescenta, I barely had it at all in Altadena. At this rate I may not get the 11 Edge until July... :(

#10 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Those of us who live in SoCal always have a good chance of having clear weather, if... we are willing to do a little driving.

Many/most places in the country, the weather 100 miles from you is exactly the same as yours... Here, a drive into the mountains or to the deserts can take you to an entirely new climate.. Last weekend was cloudy in San Diego, observably clear in the mountains.

Jon

Exactly what I'm thinking. I live right near the ramp to the 2 N up into the San Gabriels (on the way up to the Mt. Wilson Obs) There should be some great spots up in the mountains to set up.

Or I can always go visit my good friend up in Tehachapi! ;)

#11 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

The curse never fails, whether it's a new scope or just a couple of EP's. Usually when I plan a session ad have all my charts ready, the weather turns bad or the wife has other plans....never fails.

#12 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Jon

Exactly what I'm thinking. I live right near the ramp to the 2 N up into the San Gabriels (on the way up to the Mt. Wilson Obs) There should be some great spots up in the mountains to set up.

There you go; take the scope up Angeles Crest Highway a ways and see if you can find some spot up in the mountains.

#13 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Jon

I haven't lived in LA for many years, but Chilao was a nice spot; Stony Ridge Observatory was near there also if I recall.

#14 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, I was thinking Chilao or the really big observation point a few miles before that looks north across the valley. Big open skies there... hopefully pretty dark.

I've been a tad bit concerned about being up there at night though, I dunno much about what wildlife are out up there in the dark. We've had quite a few bears and mountain lions coming down into the foothill communities this year.

#15 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well, I finally got my shipping notice from Astronomics yesterday! My CGEM 1100 HD is on the way! :jump: :jump: :jump:

#16 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well, I finally got my shipping notice from Astronomics yesterday! My CGEM 1100 HD is on the way! :jump: :jump: :jump:

From all reports, that's a good scope. :drool5:

Have fun with it!

#17 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks! And by God I was right, perfect weather all weekend! It was definitely worth the wait! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics