• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Winnie

Winnie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

So, I have this C130 Mak that I want to get a goto alt/az mount for and I am looking at three models. I need your help in making this decision. You are welcome to throw in another mount if there is one out there.

I am not overly concerned with price but it does kinda bother me to spend $1300 on a mount for a $300 scope.

I don't know anything about the reliability, accuracy or any other attributes of these mounts. I need any and all input as to which of these would be the best for my needs.

As I am getting older and weaker, it is just too much effort to get out my CPC 925. So, I am going to sell it and make my C130 Mak, my primary scope for the time being. I may get a larger Mak or SCT, 7" or 8" at some point in the future. It would be nice to have a dual mount that would allow me to put the C130 and whatever else I may get on it at the same time.

Right now, I am looking at...

Celestron NexStar 6SE/8SE mount: I am a little worried that the single arm mount will be a little shaky. Another drawback is that it only mounts one scope at a time. However, I like that it is light-weight and would be very easy for me to move.

Meade LX80 mount: I have never seen this mount in person but it looks beautiful in the pictures. This mount is fairy heavy... good for stability but it close to the weight of my Celestron system. I sure like the looks and the dual capability though.

iOptron MiniTower II or MiniTower Pro: I could not find the weight on these. Aesthetics are totally lacking here. I don't want to sound shallow but I like for my gear to have some kind of eye appeal. I mean, the pest performing cars also tend to be the best looking, right?

Of course I care about function, quality and reliability. I want something that works like it should and is a pleasure to use. I want motors and gears that are solid, quiet and accurate. Which one would you recommend?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Get the Celestron. The single arm isn't an issue. The LX80 is heavier than it looks and to this point, has not been exactly problem free.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics