• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi.

I'm getting very very bored to fight against the clouds. This morning was forecasted a beautiful clear morning until noon but at 8:30am the sky was totally milky. Fortunately I was in my dome 1 hour earlier and I had time to sketch the full disk. There was a beautiful arc moving rapidly at 5 o'oclock.

The two previous days the clouds were too fast and I didn't have time to fully complete my full disk sketches. On april 9th, I did all the proms but not the surface details and yesterday no time to do all the proms and surface details. So I'll keep them but will no post them.

Andre.

Posted Image

#2 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Gorgeous. Hard to believe it is not a photographic image. Very well done!

#3 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Andre,
Another masterpiece! Very interesting sunspots especially between 6 and 9 O'clock. I will show to my girls later today and see what they may spot.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ken

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Ken for you comment.

Steve, I have a photographic eye and probably give a magic touch to my pencil... Thank you so much.

Andre.

#5 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

:jump:

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Andre,
Emma likes the look of your sketch as does my wife. Juliet yelled "The Moon" when she saw it! I guess when you are 2 everything is the Moon.

Ken

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Boy those spots look active! I think you getting even better with your sketches...if that is possible!

#8 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks to all.

No Warren, I do the same as usual. These sunspots are full of fine details all around. I'm just reproducing what I see.

Andre.

#9 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi.

I would like to bring some precision about the white areas on my sketches. Someone told me they are too bright and too exagerated. Here how I explained the situation.

I using a laptop with high definition very glossy screen and to confirm the result about the colors, I export them on my Ipad with a similar screen. Both give a superb and natural result and I really like what I see.

Therefore, when I look my sketches on a mat screen at my work, the reds and oranges are much too bright and totally off compared to the Ipad. I also remarked the white areas are much brighter what make them exagerated and not natural at all.

So I think the mat screen give a much different result in contrast and coloration compared to the glossy screen. Depending on what kind of screen you are looking my sketches, maybe they might look incorrect and I can't do nothing to change that as I'm working with what my laptop give me.

Andre.

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Andre,
They look amazing to me. I think with sketches they are what the person sees. When I look at any sketch I am getting the interpretation of what you see through the eyepiece. With your experience of sketching the Sun every clear day. I am sure you see so much more than I would looking through the eyepiece.

I looked with both a computer monitor and IPad and they both look very good.

Your sketches have got me interested in Solar observing and I am saving up for a small solar scope. Thank You for taking the time to post your sketches here for us to look at.

Ken

#11 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you very much Ken for your feedback.

You are so right. With the scope I'm using and the persistance, I effectively see things others wouldn't see because I know what to look at. My eye is really adapted to the wave lenght of H-alpha and I have no problem seeing the white areas.

Andre.

#12 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Andre,
I want to touch on this quite a bit more. I did a Messier marathon about 2 weeks ago. I was with several observer's who just didn't see some of the detail I was seeing. I noticed I was spending more time looking and I believe it was my start of sketching that has me looking to more depth of an object. I showed a few of my club members my sketches and one lady said she is going to try sketching so she can see more detail of the objects. She also said it will help her to identify what is different from one object to the next.

It really wasn't until I started my meager sketches that I noticed more detail. I remember first sketching M45 noticing a trail of stars I had never seen because I wasn't trying to put my view on paper. After doing that which was a rather crude drawing with my daughters school pencil and a piece of plain paper. I was draw into the magical world of Astronomical sketching.

Even though I am a novice observer I can see much more in the past few months of sketching at the eyepiece by stopping and trying to capture what I see.

When I look at your work, Frank, Peter, David, Jean, and many others I see how dedicated and skilled you folks are to be able to show the detail you see.

When I see newcomers with a brand new scope and they seem disappointed at how something looks I tell them draw it and you will see so much more. Even if you have no skill it will come and your observing will improve with time and patience.

Clear skies

Ken

#13 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ken

Nothing more to add. You are right on the nail. Observing the sun is very tricky. I saw so many peoples with a so worst way to observe the sun, I was totally discouraged looking at them. In a outreach last year, I teached several first time observers how to observe the sun. They enjoyed so much what they saw, they talk about me several months later about how they have been impressed.

Andre

#14 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Andre,

:)

Frank :)

#15 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

André another masterpiece !
Indeed screens light sometime makes the difference.
The sun looks more active now, isn't it ? Maybe in the way of a second maximum ?

#16 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thank you to both of you guys.

Michel. Yes the sun is pretty active and I hope it will remain like that for several months

Andre

#17 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Ken.

I'm just back from my dome (sunday april 14th) where I've been able to sketch the magnificent today's sun. What a bunch of spectacular proms. Clear sky not long enough to do some close up.

But what I really paid attention are the white areas and man they are fully authentic on my sketches. I can see them so clearly and easily, very often more than the filaments which are hidden in the bright sun's surface light. So I can confirm at 100%, my white areas are very well represented and I have nothing to change. I can see them so clearly that I would be able to sketch them with 100% precision but it would be so much longer. And more I zoom, more they are visible as the lost of light gathering cause a similar effect than the double stack.

Andre.

#18 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Andre,
Your captures are magnificent! I am going to the Northeast Astronomy forum with Emma next weekend. We are looking forward to be able to see the sun for the first time through a H-Alpha scope. It will be a memorable day. I hope its not cloudy. For now we can see what it looks like with your sketches.

Thanks Again.

Ken

#19 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ken.

Oh, very nice for you and Emma. I hope sky will be clear and I hope the size of the scope is good enough to make you impress. Now listen carefully. To have your first look at the scope, if you wear glasses, remove them and adjust the focus. Next, be sure to be very close to the eyepiece and put your hands each side of the eyepiece to keep the ambiant light as much dark as you can. Keep you eye on the eyepiece for at least two minutes, time to your eye to adapt at the orange H-alpha color. Longer you will stay at the eyepiece, more details will pop up. Best, use a chair if you have one around to be very well placed and comfortable. Observing the sun is tricky and need some preparation to get the best.

Andre.

#20 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Andre,
Thanks for the tips. I am not sure what scopes will be there but they say its a very large solar telescope party on the grounds.

Ken

#21 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Realistic or not... it's hard to tell for me because I'm all but an experienced solar observer. All I can say is that time and time again you amaze me with your excellent drawings and heck, to me they look awfully realistic! :D

Peter

#22 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you very much Peter.

Andre

#23 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Ken

I wish you a clear sky and lot of fun with your first solar experience.

Andre

#24 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Andre,

Good sketch of April 11th Sun :cool:.

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#25 Andrev