GSO Binoviewers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi, I won a GSO binoviewer on AM. Andy who had them up for
auction said "he thought there was a .8 built in OCS.
I cannot find any information if this is true and I need to know what eyepieces would work in it.
Does any body here know what the built in barlow is and
what eyepieces would work. Right now I have one Japan 20mm Meade Supper Plossi which I'm sure would work. How high in power could I go? Thanks for the help.
LONG LIVE CN. De Lorme

#2 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

James, I think Andy was mistaken on the 0.8X OCS. Most Binoviewers give that effect due to the Prisms. If you look carefully at a distant object (alarm clock is good) you'll see that If you slightly tilt the Binos one eye collar will replicate the Image as seen when not looking thru the Binos and one will give a slightly smaller Image.
This is the 0.8X Andy was referring to and I'm guessing It's caused by the different optical paths of the eyepiece collars due to one having a longer path than the other because of the Beam Splitter.

As for and OCS, you'll need one for most Refractors and Newts. Ageena carries a 2X one as seen here.

For SCT's and Bino-friendly Refractors an OCS isn't needed.

Mike

#3 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

I havnt seem a GSO binoviewer, i guess it's just the standard generic binoviewer

#4 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Actually they could be any number of Generic Bino's from Celestron to WO. By the color scheme and the seller stating the timeline (2005) my guess is they are an early Burgess model as seen here.
Tough to say for certain though.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics