Diopter corrector for finder lens blues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roy26

roy26

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hi, just got my new (used) Field Model and rushed to try it out. Somehow I managed to lock the diopter corrector for finder focus up tight. I had taken the mount off and screwed it back in and the thing jammed solid. I took it off and eventually unlocked it by using a wrench and it went back to focusing. I was getting focused when it did the same again. has anyone had the same problem an, if so, how did they resolve it? By the way I have not got superpowers, it was just a simple twist.
Thanks

#2 roy26

roy26

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

After reading an earlier post re the same, I tried it and squashed the mount.

#3 roy26

roy26

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Is there any place in UK that carries spares?

#4 Panotaker

Panotaker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have had the same exact problem with mine too. It doesn't take much force to get them stuck, but it takes a lot of force to get it unstuck. Normally, I unscrew the whole thing from the top of the scope, and then twist like hell to get it unstuck. Now I just try to make sure that I don't get it stuck in the first place. The old original eyepieces where you turned the top of the eyepiece didn't have this problem.

#5 roy26

roy26

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thank you Panotaker.
I an trying to get a replacement; it appears that there is no one in the UK who stocks questar bits, even a shop in Bath which sells field models and birders does not order accessories. I have rang Company7 and hope to get a replacement soon. It appears that if you don't live in America users are not well served. Astronomica does not export to UK, and Company7 seem only to respond to telephone calls. Which, to be fair, they did promptly. I do hope it comes to me and not some small town in the continental USA.

#6 equuleus

equuleus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

What is a diopter corrector? See it mentioned several places in the Questar forum.

#7 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Roy,

Contact Questar directly by email at:

questar@erols.com

They will be happy to deal with you.

Bill

#8 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

The eyepiece holder, probably, which screws in and out to achieve finder focus. Seems it's easy to get stuck if screwed all the way in and, thereafter, a bit of bear to get unstuck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics