Kerbal Space Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I think everyone would be interested in this: Youtube .

The game is still considered to be under development and in "alpha" stage. However at the end of the month major updates are coming and taking it out of alpha and raising the price, if you buy before the end of the month you get all future updates and expansions for free. The price will increase as they add more and more features.

After countless failures in which hundreds of brave Kerbals died fiery deaths and the three frozen in space. I currently have a base on the Mun, which orbits Kerbin, with three Kerbals mining fuel for future Kerbaled missions to other planets which are being mapped by satellites. Also finally completed my first space docking! :jump:

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks like fun. I'm not a gamer at all, but this looks interesting.

#3 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I prefer the spaceflight simulator ORBITER

ORBITER Space Flight Simulator 2010

It is free and has numerous extensions and add-ons like the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions, the Space Shuttle, and even some science fiction series spacecraft from series like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, 2001, etc. It is also quite a bit closer to the reality of spaceflight than some other simulators or games are. Here is a shot of me getting a successful grapple on the Hubble Space Telescope with the Space Shuttle Atlantis's robotic arm: Clear skies to you.

Attached Files

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Such a cool game :)

#5 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Thread Revival!

I've done ORBITER before, it just doesn't have the silly fun factor of KSP, nor the freedom to design insanely cool (or just insane) spacecraft, then launch them on anything from sub-orbital, extra-planetary or even extra-kerbol orbits, launch satellites, and build crazy space stations. Sometimes they just explode. Scott Manley is THE man for funny KSP videos on You Tube. IIRC he has a degree that includes courses in astrophysics and orbital mechanics.

Today I finally hit another milestone and put my own SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit, No boosters or stage separation at all!) spaceplane design into Munar orbit. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but my design is 100% reusable. The craft itself takes off and lands like a normal aircraft, using pulse detonation turbo-jet engines until reaching 1500m/s at an altitude of 38K meters, using rocket engines to adjust orbit at apoapsis. I can achieve a 200 Km orbit with over 60% of my initial fuel remaining. The lander launches from the cargo bay, can land on the surface then redock with the craft. It can refuel at any orbital station or at the Kerbal Space Center after landind. The thing weighs over 53 tons fueled, I'm shocked that it is capable of the Delta V needed for this... Maybe someday I'll take it all the way to another planet.

Mk. 44 SSTO "VIVACE" in orbit around Kerbals satellite Mun.
Posted Image

Mk.37-H SSTO Spaceplane "ALACRITY" in low Kerbin orbit after launching satellite, preparing to adjust orbit for docking at Kerbal Space Station.
Posted Image

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Very cool and well done. I downloaded this program, but don't have the patience to learn it.

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

That was my problem with it too Jim.

It's pretty neat!

#8 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

You can open up DEV console to have infinite fuel, and limit physics so your craft stays together if you just want to practice the maneuvering and orbital physics using the maneuver node system. Also the F5 and F9 quicksave/quickload feature is your friend, even the Pros admit they take several tries to get the big maneuvers right.

Scott Manley taught me everything I know:
https://www.youtube....h?v=lIORB7svhaA

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Kris, cool video ;).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics