An utterly disappointing experience

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#76 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

At least my mount is up and running now, albeit with a loaner board.

To my dismay, why are you settling for a loaner board after spending $9K? Why aren't you demanding a new one with latest firmware, etc.? How do you know loaner is new or used or have the latest updates? You may be satisfied but are setting a wrong precedent in my opinion and hope you don't mind my saying.

My other dismay, Steve Bisque makes NO mention of what he is going to do for you? Is loaner board the end game?

All I mean to say is that if it were me I wouldn't be satisfied with a loaner board from a third party and would have asked for a new mount let alone a new board from the manufacturer. The remedy you describe and how Steve Bisque has framed his post (dodging the real solution to your problem) is bound to make prospective customers quite leery of SB [phone support is NOT the issue at hand, fixing broken mount in highest quality IS]. So far it has been nothing but beating around the bush kind of situation from all parties, the buyer, the retailer, and the manufacturer. Regards

#77 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

I think it interesting, following the ap-gto forum as I have a 900 and 1200, that when someone posts a problem, many volunteers offer advice.

The advice may, or may not be correct.

Frequently, Roland will implore the OP to call the office and talk with xxxx or yyyy, presumeably to reach a solution to the problem more directly, than possibly following erroneous paths.

I also note that Charles is west coast, so the offer to resolve the issue at NEAF seems a bit lame.

#78 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

"In this particular support case, a customer with a brand new mount had a bad out-of-the-box experience. There is nothing worse that can happen with a big purchase, and I understand the frustration."

I thank Mr. Bisque for his response but when a customer takes the time to call your office in Golden, on their own dime, there has to be a way to triage the problem right then. Even your call taker should have enough experience to know that my issue was completely abnormal and that "Jeburnett" or "Ernie" wasn't going to be able to solve it for me.

I would thank Sarah for sending me an email yesterday explaining that you would be sending a new board and HC, apparently waiving the deposit. Although I've given my damaged board to OPT, I will strive to insure it gets returned to you, as well as my HC.

I am still enamoured with my MX. I dream of owning an MEII. But intentionally or not, you guys made it a little hard to like your company.

#79 Logan Tudor

Logan Tudor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've read all this negative, bisque-bashing rot, along with the parallel post on SB forum. I have a different take on this...

Charles, fess up- you plugged the mains power into the MX versa plate, didn't you? Operator error. The screws story, as unlikely as it sounds, is a great story all the same. Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely, another satisfied MX user, we number in the hundreds, if not thousands, we are the silent majority and we are low maintenance users :)

#80 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

so why is it that there is far less complaining about AP mounts? it's probably because software wise they are far simpler..?

This is a hardware problem. The AP mount can be commanded by most any software including SB.
I am a fan of simplicity in engineering when it improves end user results/efficiency and product QC. Simplicity is good and underrated IMHO.

#81 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Mr. Logan Tudor,
I was a deputy Sheriff for 28 years. I don't lie, cheat, or steal. What you are claiming is I that I am intentionally trying to steal $800 from SB, a felony. If I had plugged my power cord into the Versa Plate, I would have just kicked myself around the house until I could have politely asked the Bisques to SELL ME ANOTHER BOARD. When I met Bill Dean from OPT in a parking lot in Carlbad, I was going to show him the issue with the HC. I connected my inverter bassackwards. I admit that. I haven't contacted Frys claiming they sold me a bad inverter. I will wait until I can afford to buy a better one and lesson learned. Maybe that's how you operate in your world, but it is not in mine.

#82 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Charles, I do not understand why SB cannot just replace your mount and do the investigation on their time. They have wasted enough of your time and clear skies and you ought to be compensated for that. Expectation is very high for mounts of this price given the competition has an impeccable record. You should not be settling for anything less. Don't get discouraged by SB fanboys.

As much as SB wants everyone to believe that phone support is obsolete, they need to really start to man those phone lines with knowledgeable support.

#83 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

so why is it that there is far less complaining about AP mounts? it's probably because software wise they are far simpler..?

This is a hardware problem. The AP mount can be commanded by most any software including SB.
I am a fan of simplicity in engineering when it improves end user results/efficiency and product QC. Simplicity is good and underrated IMHO.

Maybe SB is really selling such huge quantities compared to AP that they have to use forum support rather than voice? (and would proportionally have more complaints)

When I read the scientific literature I see that SB mounts are all over the place.

#84 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

<< When I read the scientific literature I see that SB mounts are all over the place. >>

I know the company I work for use them for optical satellite tracking.

#85 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Logan, your comment was tasteless, and totally out of line.

I am happy that the situation seems to have worked it's way out, and that is what is important.

Andy

#86 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Maybe SB is really selling such huge quantities compared to AP that they have to use forum support rather than voice? (and would proportionally have more complaints)

That can be said for any company that has phone tech support. If they are selling more then they should have more money to afford more staffing at the phone lines, no?

#87 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

OK folks, I think this thread has completed its course. I'm sure Mr. Bisque will perform his best to find an amicable solution to Charles' problem.

Charles, please feel free to start a new thread to let us know the latest on this matter. I wish with all my heart that you join the band of happy SB owners very soon.

Thank you all for your contribution to this thread.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics