Atlas EQ-G...did I screw something up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

So, reading another post about AZ EQ6 and a wobble in the RA axis. That poster tightened it up on his own and said its real tight now.

As for me, I felt the RA was a bit lose so I decided to tighten. Now it's looser. What did I do wrong? I followed the instructions here: http://www.astro-bab...m alignment.htm

Only thing I couldn't do was tighten the worm end float adjuster. It was very tight, couldn't tighten nor loosen. So I left that.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions? :confused:

#2 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

If you unscrew the set screw the axis becomes stiffer, if you tighten the set screw the axis becomes loser.
Before you do that though you need to unscrew a little bit the other screws which support the worm wheel on the gear.
So you unscrew those a little bit, then act on the set screws..and then tighten the "support" screws back.

I hope i helped a little,my english isn't perfect sorry in case i confused you more..

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

To tighten the worm spacing you need to turn the top set screw clockwise and the bottom one counter clockwise. The top screw pulls the worm and ring gear together while the bottom one pushes them apart, but together they lock the assembly in place so they have to be turned opposite each other. In addition, if you do this with the axis slewing (i.e., clutch released), you can use the sound of the mount to tell you when you are getting close to the correct position. Simply make the adjustment until the gears start to bind and then back it off slightly.

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Also, do not mess with the worm end float adjustment. These are always adjusted too tight from the factory, but the only way to be sure that you adjust them correctly is to do it with the worm assembly removed from the mount. If you try to do it with the worm assembly on the mount, then you are likely to leave it too loose so that there is lateral play in the worm.

#5 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks y'all! I don't know what I did differently, but it worked perfect today! I really like the feel now. I'm contemplating doing the Dec axis, but it isn't nearly as loose as the RA was, so I may just leave that alone.

Anyway, it's good now and I thank you much!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics